Ryan Johansen offer sheet

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If you were Tim Murray, would you offer Columbus' Ryan Johansen a 3 year $7 million offer sheet and give up 2-1st rounders, and 2nd, and 3rd?

I say no way, as he's had just the one good year.

Your thoughts?

If we could do it next year, yes. But if we have to give up this year's, then no.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If you were Tim Murray, would you offer Columbus' Ryan Johansen a 3 year $7 million offer sheet and give up 2-1st rounders, and 2nd, and 3rd?

I say no way, as he's had just the one good year.

Your thoughts?

McDavid. Eichel. That should answer your question.

I do think we could put together a good offer though.

Stl. 1st + 2016 1st + Lemieux + Hodgson

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I've said before that I'd kill for him in a sabres jersey, but there's no way I would pay him any amount that would require our 2015 first as compensation ($3,364,392 M+, not to mention he's only had one good season to go by), and obviously he wouldn't take that contract barring some ridiculous TPegs signing bonus a la Ehrhoff. If it were next year, as mentioned, id be for it

I'd also be for a trade akin to what stokes posted, assuming he's signed. I wouldn't give that much for solely his rights.

But if it's true that Johansen and CBJ are apart on negotiations...he could get the money he wants here

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Columbus would match. Begrudgingly, but they aren't going to let him go that easily.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Columbus would match. Begrudgingly, but they aren't going to let him go that easily.

Johansen is a great player, but if he was offered $7 million/year based on a relatively small sample size, and the compensation is a top 2 pick in the deepest draft since 2003/2013, a pick maybe in the ~10 range in 2016, and 2 extra picks...I'd let him walk. CBJ would be taking a step back short term but the player they get with that top 2 pick alone would take them farther than Johansen can now

And I doubt adding Johansen would make our picks lower, I don't feel like digging it up but everyone's crunched the numbers of how vast improvements in our GF/GA ratio and overall point amount won't even move us one spot

Edit: and I get that historically, teams tend to hold onto RFAs regardless of compensation (see vanek), but I think letting Johansen walk in this hypothetical scenario would be the right move for CBJ in the end. Similarly, if we were given the chance to make another decision on the vanek offer sheet...I would imagine that we would reconsider the decision Darcy made. Hindsight is 20/20, but it's projecting something similar in the future. If CBJ matched and we ended up with mcdavid/whatever else, it would be similar to us asking now, what if we let go of vanek and got hall/RNH/etc

Last edited:

cardiffgiant

Continue without supporting us
Sep 28, 2005
McDavid. Eichel. That should answer your question.

I do think we could put together a good offer though.

Stl. 1st + 2016 1st + Lemieux + Hodgson

Exactly. A team doesn't intentionally tank only to lose its 1st round pick in an offer sheet. Our 2015 1st alone is potentially worth more to us than Johansen, let alone 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 3rd.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Don't forget that Johannsen would then screw up the salary structure for this team. He's asking for the moon on Columbus and would also want it here. And keep wanting it here.

BIG no thanks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Offersheet? **** no. Make a competitive trade offer? Sure. But this year's first is off the table.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
20% chance at McDavid (best case scenario) vs bonafide young star #1 center

I'll take the certainty and the acceleration it gives the rebuild

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

**** I forgot McDavid was the only player in the draft this year.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I don't see why you'd leave Eichel out of the equation.

It's all moot because he isn't going to accept a 3 year $7m offer sheet, he's only going to accept an offer sheet if it has huge term.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I don't see why you'd leave Eichel out of the equation.

Yeah, that. Especially since in the other thread, you have let your feelings be known about our chances of improving out of that spot as being very slim..

rowf

Jan 25, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada

I'd like to know what certainty, he's had one productive year.

What about 2 previous years where he was healthy scratch in the AHL.

Tylers Myers had great year and we gave him huge $$ and term and how how that turned out so far?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yeah, that. Especially since in the other thread, you have let your feelings be known about our chances of improving out of that spot as being very slim..

Because in Eichel vs Johansen we are taking about 2 players likely to end up in the same ball park... So the advancement of the rebuild due to johansen's development and age is a no brainer.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I don't see the fit if Jarmo is in the same Win Now mindset as the HFB C'Bus fans.

CBJ fans are against the idea of him leaving, period. But I think if they really get backed into a corner, they are going to have to open their minds up because no matter who they trade for, they aren't going to have a better NHL roster without him.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Tylers Myers had great year and we gave him huge $$ and term and how how that turned out so far?

I am certain. I've watched him play.

(It's certainty in the context of the conversation - 17-18 yr old future draft picks)

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Because in Eichel vs Johansen we are taking about 2 players likely to end up in the same ball park... So the advancement of the rebuild due to johansen's development and age is a no brainer.

Well, we're going to disagree by miles on this one. Eichel >>>>>>>>>>> Johansen in the long run.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

McEichel has had 0 productive years in the NHL.

apples and oranges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad