Confirmed with Link: Ryan Johansen gone

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I guess that's Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith.
I would assume you need to cross the first 3 names off the list, because those picks simply aren't available, Bedard not if we traded our whole team and every asset we own, and the other two not far short of that. So it's the next level down we could talk about... Smith, Dvorsky, Danielson. In which case...

Look, I'm not a hype-buyer when It comes to draft picks either, we hear the same type of stuff every year about these prospects and it rarely seems to pan out that way. That said, if we are making a big move in the draft and spending that level of assets, I'm more amenable to it for a position we've always historically lacked and is generally vital to organizational success.

I'm willing to take a miss on Michkov even if he does match the hype level because winger is an easier position to fill in the gaps for and you rarely see teams finding lasting success when built around a winger--in the cap era that would really only be Chicago around Kane (and di they win anything without Toews?) and Washington with Ovechkin.Tampa with Kucherov is also maybe there, but they just had a deep forward group and he was a later round pick anyway. Landeskog and Kessel are the only other notable wingers taken top 5, both won Cups, neither won anything when the "centerpiece" of their squads.
It's all good. Maybe if we watched these players more, we could really have more faith in whether they're truly something more than Johansen/Duchene/Glass, and not just be subject to the whims of the hype-fest.

I feel like maybe this isn't yet quite the year to throw everything into one big dice roll. I would be the guy saying "hold... hold... hold... LOOSE!!!" to my archers. With the idea that this year is still a year to "hold" and keep stocking the tier 2 prospects with our big draft pick bonanza. If we do well enough, we might soon hit the point where we are just so loaded with tier 2 prospects that we can't even project how to fit them into our lineup anymore, plus we might dip in the standings next season such that our own pick is a little higher which would make a future trade-up easier. In which case, the move up gets easier. Either way, I think we're "not quite there yet"... not quite at the point where we should be able to justify a big gamble on a 3-for-1 type of move up. Not for the Smith/Dvorsky/Danielson prospect anyway.

It's kind of parallel to the UFA/trade front, really. Sure, there are names like DeBrincat and Dubois floating around who are "pretty good" players. But if we blow our load on these guys... it may take us out of the running later if Matthews, Draisatl types ever go UFA.

Over to you, Barry Trotz. I don't think he's just looking to "make a splash"... he's in this for the long haul, and if he doesn't see the right cost/benefit ratio, I think he'll be fine punting some of these things a year. Well, I hope I'm reading him right on that, anyway.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I feel like the years in Red can be condensed by a couple years. I'm totally with you that Askarov is way off and that, currently, Saros is one of the best goalies in the league. However, I just can't imagine the plan will be to not embed him as our starter for another decade (assuming his progress continues upward). I'm also not sure Saros can stay above average for THAT long.
I think condensing those years would be the "optimistic" version of the default. But I just don't like making "optimistic" my baseline. Maybe this has something to do with working in the space industry! :)

But anyway, like I also said, I know full well that Expansion is going to throw a wrench into any such timeline, whether it is your 2-year "optimistic" acceleration, or my snail's pace conservative default. Both of those timelines get blown apart if we lose one of the goalies to Expansion.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I feel like the years in Red can be condensed by a couple years. I'm totally with you that Askarov is way off and that, currently, Saros is one of the best goalies in the league. However, I just can't imagine the plan will be to not embed him as our starter for another decade (assuming his progress continues upward). I'm also not sure Saros can stay above average for THAT long.
Yeah, it's also worth keeping in mind that we can't just assume Saros will be great over an entire (presumably) 8 year deal. I'm not sure I see the Preds getting him on anything shorter than that.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, it's also worth keeping in mind that we can't just assume Saros will be great over an entire (presumably) 8 year deal. I'm not sure I see the Preds getting him on anything shorter than that.
I don't think I've assumed he would be. Askarov is pushing him half way through that, and then taking over at some point, just like Saros did with Rinne. The only real difference being that we'd have Saros under contract already, instead of stringing him along with short term deals.

One of them will be in net for Houston/Kansas City/Atlanta anyway, so again, it's a nice dream, but it's NOT going to play out according to my timeline.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess that's Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith. Look, I'm not a hype-buyer when It comes to draft picks either, we hear the same type of stuff every year about these prospects and it rarely seems to pan out that way. That said, if we are making a big move in the draft and spending that level of assets, I'm more amenable to it for a position we've always historically lacked and is generally vital to organizational success.

I'm willing to take a miss on Michkov even if he does match the hype level because winger is an easier position to fill in the gaps for and you rarely see teams finding lasting success when built around a winger--in the cap era that would really only be Chicago around Kane (and do they even win anything without Toews?) and Washington with Ovechkin. Tampa with Kucherov is also maybe there, but they just had a deep forward group and he was a later round pick anyway. Landeskog and Kessel are the only other notable wingers taken top 5, both won Cups, neither won anything when the "centerpiece" of their squads.
And no they don't win without Toews. We saw what happened once he broke down and it was just Kane.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think Joey's been mentioned all of once in the last four or five pages of this thread. Ditto Galchenyuk.

What was this thread about again? :)
We're on the last word of the thread subject now, "gone". As in, who might be gone next. :dunno:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think Joey's been mentioned all of once in the last four or five pages of this thread. Ditto Galchenyuk.

What was this thread about again? :)
The main board tongue bathing over the deal has probably killed any interest in discussing it. The guy we've watched for at least the past 4 seasons and was made expendable by half season play from 3 rookies apparently doesn't exist and is going to revert to OG 60pt+ Johansen because z0mg 3lit3 talent and Mackinnon is super leader man. :rolleyes:

I am never eager to root against former players and always wanted to see the best from Johansen but good grief I'll need to rent a storage unit for my vomit if he has a real bounce back season.

Otherwise, think we've all been hashing it out for years and the book is closed and we can look to other things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad