Confirmed with Link: Ryan Johansen gone

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah Joey at $4M a year as a 2/3C isn’t a bad deal assuming he can get back to where he was pre-injury. Clears up a spot for us too and the cap penalty is manageable for us too. Wonder if this is a precursor for another move for us or just taking the opportunity when it was there.

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Fascinating. Not a Poilesque fleecing by any means but we do get some more cap space.

Appreciated RyJo's time with us even though he was one of the most frustrating player to watch. Could have a stud but had heavy pants syndrome after that contract.

Reactions: SouthNash

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I loved RyJo in the playoffs. Under Hynes, he has been a complete Dud. I will not be cheering as heavily as I would for him since he is going to the Avs. Meh.

Retaining 50% is pretty gigantic. Yowzers.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
To me it only really makes sense contingent on what they are going to do with the $4M in Cap savings.

You could kind of "read the room" that Trotz was not interested in keeping Joey around. So I'm not the least bit surprised he's gone. But the fact they took the $4M retained hit as opposed to the much lower buyout Cap hit says they probably don't have anything truly big planned with the Cap savings?
:dunno:

I'm not sure it's a good idea. Having the "safety net" of Johansen at center with the 3 youngsters made some sense too. But then, it just means most likely they are adding a veteran center, rather than turning the youngsters loose, so I don't think this necessarily helps on that front.

But who really knows at this point. Obviously there is more to come. :(

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I loved RyJo in the playoffs. Under Hynes, he has been a complete Dud. I will not be cheering as heavily as I would for him since he is going to the Avs. Meh.

Retaining 50% is pretty gigantic. Yowzers.
Well, if the rumors are true at least Trotz got to tear him a new one in the exit interview. :rolleyes:

• Wow

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Damn, would've thought you could've gotten at least something for Joey at 50%.

We're really walking into next year with Glass-Pärssinen-Novak-Sissons as the center core? That has to be the worst group of centers in the whole league.

Joey got injured, but when he was healthy he was a lot more important player for the group than most realize. He could match up against other team's top centers and not get embarrased. He could shelter the younger guys who now have to carry the mail on their own.

I think this could also mean the end for Saros. I mean, with the group we're assembling I can't see us being near playoff contention. It makes all the more sense to trade Saros as well, while we're at it.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
As for Galchenyuk, he's about to become a UFA. Not sure we want him or if he wants to be here for the rebuild.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Damn, would've thought you could've gotten at least something for Joey at 50%.

We're really walking into next year with Glass-Pärssinen-Novak-Sissons as the center core? That has to be the worst group of centers in the whole league.

Joey got injured, but when he was healthy he was a lot more important player for the group than most realize. He could match up against other team's top centers and not get embarrased. He could shelter the younger guys who now have to carry the mail on their own.

I think this could also mean the end for Saros. I mean, with the group we're assembling I can't see us being near playoff contention. It makes all the more sense to trade Saros as well, while we're at it.
Trotz is going to sign or trade for a center, that's fairly obvious now. I just hope that move isn't as awful as I fear it could be. Assuming he does get PLD or Lindholm or somebody like that, it will just come down to the cost. Obviously they are better players than Johansen is.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think someone just wanted him gone. There are people who think all of this team's problems began and ended with RyJo.
He is kind of the last movable pillar of the "country club". I can see Trotz immediately diagnosing that lack of "drive" that has plagued us for several years, and he just wanted that gone.

I guess on simple math it's spending $8M instead of $10.7M to just make him disappear, but I'm surprised they did it that way. Especially to a division rival. Although maybe they just think he'll hurt them more than help them! I wouldn't have been so sure of that.

Reactions: predhead1

You

Jul 1, 2010
I was kind of curious if he would be rehabbing or vacationing. Not our problem now!

Bit of a complicated legacy. Early years were pretty fun, if slightly underwhelming at times. He scored more than 15 goals for us once, last year. Production + health + contract is pretty awful unless you're willing to sweep a lot under the rug of 21-22.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
He is kind of the last movable pillar of the "country club". I can see Trotz immediately diagnosing that lack of "drive" that has plagued us for several years, and he just wanted that gone.

I guess on simple math it's spending $8M instead of $10.7M to just make him disappear, but I'm surprised they did it that way. Especially to a division rival. Although maybe they just think he'll hurt them more than help them! I wouldn't have been so sure of that.
Forsberg also on the CC committee

Id love to see him shipped out too… maybe to Detroit for their top 10 pick and a prospect??

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

For Colorado, assuming he comes back and plays like he can, it looks like a steal. They're hoping he replaces the hole Kadri left, and at $4M he's a total bargain.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Well ... these boards are getting the youth movement down the middle with Sissons now the vet presence at center.

The big question is what is the next move? How many of the 13 picks end up as Preds selections and how many are included in trades? What is the FA target next Saturday?

Reactions: Enoch

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Meh… he’s on the downside of his long career, struggling to put up 30 points and actually play 60% of the season. Shame we couldn’t get a 4th or whatever, but I think it’s fine. I do hope there are plans to spend that space though…

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
As for Galchenyuk, he's about to become a UFA. Not sure we want him or if he wants to be here for the rebuild.
He only managed to get into 11 nhl games last season and spent the rest of the time in the AHL. Maybe some Milwaukee depth but the key was sending out RyJo.

Pretty shocked at half retained we couldnt even get a late pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad