ryan johansen, clb's future #1 C?

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
You say that as though he was just as good before his growth spurt. He had 5 goals in 47 games! And that's Jr A.

I really like Johansen as a rising prospect, but your argument is a head scratcher.

Not if you watched him as Portland did, NHL scouts did, I did etc.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Johansen has been awsome for Canada, he's hitting every oppourtunity and putting up points. He's in the top 5 for scoring in the tournament, explain to me how he is struggling?

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
9 shots on goal today against the Swiss. Had numerous chances. Not sure how people wouldnt be excited about his play here. Plus, he plays a solid 2-way game.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Schenn as an 18yo at the WJC (2010) - 6 GP, 2 G, 6 A, 8 PTS, 4 PIM, +8, 12.50 SG%

Johansen as an 18yo at the WJC (2011) - 4 GP, 1 G, 6 A, 7 PTS, 0 PIM, +4, 7.14 SG%

Schenn was playing hurt last year. That's not to take away from Johansen's WJC this year- I like him a lot and he certainly looks awesome in this yrs tourney.

I think Johansen will make a great pro- just unsure if he will project to be as good as Sedin, Richards, Toews, Thorton, Getzlaf, etc who are true #1 centers. For CLBs sake, I hope he does, as they obviously need a #1C. I was just using Schenn as a benchmark - just saying the expectation of Schenn is as a second line center- Johansen better be much, much better than Schenn to be a true #1.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
You guys think Johansen will make the jump to NHL next year?

How does he compare against guys like Couturier, B.Schenn, Hogdson and Nugent-Hopkins? Is he as good prospect as those guys or step below them? Is his offensive upside in NHL as high as theirs?

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
You guys think Johansen will make the jump to NHL next year?

How does he compare against guys like Couturier, B.Schenn, Hogdson and Nugent-Hopkins? Is he as good prospect as those guys or step below them? Is his offensive upside in NHL as high as theirs?

our GM said that he was able to play in the NHL this season if necessary, but that it would be beneficial for him to take another year in portland.. sounds like he will find a spot on the big club for at least part of next year, if not the whole shebang.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
our GM said that he was able to play in the NHL this season if necessary, but that it would be beneficial for him to take another year in portland.. sounds like he will find a spot on the big club for at least part of next year, if not the whole shebang.

So sounds like he'll get the 9-game look and if he impresses he'll stay with the team whole year. You think he'll slot in the top-6 or will he be brought in slowly and starts from the bottom-6?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im bringing back a Ryan Johansen thread. I know hes played quite a few NHL games, but i still consider him a prospect. I know hes still very young but it kinda seems to me he hasnt taken off yet like how I thought he would. I feel this upcoming season is HUGE for him. What does everyone think?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Im bringing back a Ryan Johansen thread. I know hes played quite a few NHL games, but i still consider him a prospect. I know hes still very young but it kinda seems to me he hasnt taken off yet like how I thought he would. I feel this upcoming season is HUGE for him. What does everyone think?
This is a big year for him, but he's been a quality NHL player who is on the verge of breaking out. He's only 20 going on 21. He has time.

ColumbusHowson is gonna regret bringing him into the NHL so early.

That year was vital for him. What good does it do for him to dominate people younger than him or around his age? He was too good for Juniors, not good enough for NHL. So he got to learn the NHL game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Johansen to me seems like a guy who might be better slotted as a #2 center(maybe the type of guy you put against the other teams top line say like Bergeron)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Johansen to me seems like a guy who might be better slotted as a #2 center(maybe the type of guy you put against the other teams top line say like Bergeron)

With how Johansen improved his defensive ability (Went toe-to-toe with the top centers on each team late in the year, visibly frustrating Joe Thornton and Henrik Sedin) Bergeron could be a great comparison although IDK if his offense will flourish as much.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
3rd line center at best.

Wow. Who can argue such a well supported, insightful comment? Clearly /thread.

Having seen Johansen in each of his NHL games, half of them firsthand, I think he's coming along well enough. He has a bit of an attitude problem with respect to the AHL and earning his spot, but when he's playing he seems to do quite well for himself and he really wasn't sheltered much at all, often being put against the other team's #1 center in crucial situations.

Is he a #1? Jury is still out, but there's no way his ceiling is a #3, despite what the dark knight says.

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
Wow. Who can argue such a well supported, insightful comment? Clearly /thread.

Having seen Johansen in each of his NHL games, half of them firsthand, I think he's coming along well enough. He has a bit of an attitude problem with respect to the AHL and earning his spot, but when he's playing he seems to do quite well for himself and he really wasn't sheltered much at all, often being put against the other team's #1 center in crucial situations.

Is he a #1? Jury is still out, but there's no way his ceiling is a #3, despite what the dark knight says.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=122175

Awful in the NHL and only slightly better in the AHL...

B A T M A N*

Jun 29, 2013
Vancouver
His draft position is the only reason he's viewed so highly, but he's been a disappointment..yet CBJ fans think he's worth Eberle? what?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
That year was vital for him. What good does it do for him to dominate people younger than him or around his age? He was too good for Juniors, not good enough for NHL. So he got to learn the NHL game.

Touche. Too bad the AHL wasn't an option for him. Would have been perfect.

holden57

Feb 3, 2011

Thank goodness you were able to check out his stats in order to form an opinion on him! No better way to judge a player then by just looking at his stat line.

His draft position is the only reason he's viewed so highly, but he's been a disappointment..yet CBJ fans think he's worth Eberle? what?

What? You say he's only viewed highly because he was a top draft choice... And then you say he's a disappointment compared to what the expectations are for someone who is drafted 4th overall. Nino Niederreiter was the next choice, and while people still have high hopes for him, no one is holding up to the same standard as Johansen. And that is because people who actually watch hockey can tell Johansen will be fine.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

nearly 3x the production in the same year is 'slightly?'

Anyway, because numbers tell the whole story, right? What exactly are your expectations for a #2 C?

Kid's developing, learning to play against men. I've actually seen him play. Have you?

I stand behind my informed opinion. Probably not a #1, but certainly not '#3 at at best'

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Remember when Kadri was a bust when he was 20? Never going to be a 1st line center.

People are ridiculous. Can you give it a few years before you pigeonhole the kid as a 3rd line center?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany

There is no such thing as 'too good for juniors'. Mario Lemieux had to play one maybe even two years after already being too good for juniors, he destroyed the league, and ended up being just fine once he hit the NHL. The chance of ruining a player by playing him too early is much much higher than the chance of ruining him by letting him play against inferior competition. Way too many players didn't fulfill their offensive potential because they were used in a minor role on NHL-level instead of getting to fine-tune their game in juniors.

That being said. It is way too early to judge how Johansen ends up, he hasn't even turned 21 yet. He could very well end up as a no.1 center, not everyone sets the league on fire right from the get go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad