ryan johansen, clb's future #1 C?

malkovsby

Sep 4, 2009
BC
will ryan johansen finally be the answer to columbus' long search for a #1 center to play with nash?

from the limited times iv seen him theres alot to like about his game, he has a smooth long stride, seems slippery and stong on the puck on the boards and has a pretty good nose and timing around the net but im still wondering how he will fit with a player like rick nash. i could see him being a dominant player down low once he gets his NHL body but is columbus confident enough in his abilites to pass on a player like couturier if available come draft time? any insights will be appreciated

AugustBurnsRed*

Doesn't seem all that fast.. but he has good skills.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
I am very excited to watch him once he comes to the NHL. I was sad when Oilers couldn't trade up to get him. Big center man whats not to like about him.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Yes, how could you not be impressed by his play. Suited for the NHL. Style-wise, he can play with anybody. He makes Brassard expendable.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
His skating speed is definitely his weak point. He's pretty good at maneuvering and puck handling in a phone booth, though. He needs to learn how to maximize his long reach.

His hockey IQ and passing are his best attributes. His shot is adequate, but could use some work.

Don't be fooled, though. Ryan isn't a #4 overall quality pick yet. The Jackets were fairly confident that they could trade down a few spots and still grab him. Also, we're pretty iffy at developing very nice prospects.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I remember last year when Schenn "struggled" like how Johansen has at times in this tournament. I think if Johansen doesn't make Columbus next year, he could be next year's WJC Brayden Schenn.

Zeroknowledge*

For some reason he reminds me of a young Benoit Pouliot.

I can't seem to figure what is is exactly, he might pan out though unline Benoit.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
He's still extremely raw, didn't he go from 5'9 to 6'2 his first year of junior? I was kind of hoping he'd fall in the draft to Ottawa since he came out of nowhere last season. In the days before the draft Bob Mckenzie was relaying that a lot of scouts were comparing him to Eric Staal. I don't think he'll ever be that good but this kid has loads of potential. He's got great hands and passes really well but his shot needs work, just seems to mistime a lot of attempts. That should improve with time though. I don't think his skating is all that bad at the moment, I think he'll look a lot better once he gets stronger. And you have to like how physical he plays which is a facet of his game which I think was undersold. I'd be surprised if he was in Columbus next season and that's probably for the best, give him time and he'll be a player.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Who knows. Whats the time limit on Scott Howson? He's not making any nutcase deals like GMs usually do when their ass is on the line. Is his job safe cause I could see something like him and Brassard in a package for Spezza call me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liquid Gel

Pierogi eater
Oct 8, 2010
Walden Pond
Johanson looks like the real deal. His skating is not that bad. He just has that long stride which makes him look slower. But in no way should CBJ passion Coutierer or any other top prospect because of someone in their system who has developed yet. Get the best player regardless of position. Their needs are many.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Staal as a comparison? I dont get it. Very different players. Johansen is more like a Spezza type offensive player.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
will ryan johansen finally be the answer to columbus' long search for a #1 center to play with nash?

I seriously doubt it. He doesn't do anything particularly well. He is a big body and knows how o use it to his advantage against junior players.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
I don't think so. He is taking advantage of being bigger than everyone else in juniors. I compare him to Blake Wheeler. He will be a good NHLer, but not sure if he'll be Rick Nash's savior.

Kenny Bania

Thats gold Jerry!
Jun 4, 2010

from the limited times iv seen him theres alot to like about his game, he has a smooth long stride, seems slippery and stong on the puck on the boards and has a pretty good nose and timing around the net but im still wondering how he will fit with a player like rick nash. i could see him being a dominant player down low once he gets his NHL body but is columbus confident enough in his abilites to pass on a player like couturier if available come draft time? any insights will be appreciated

Johansen looks like the real deal.

And since CBJ will be drafting 10 - 20, I wouldn't be too concerned with "passing" on Couturier.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
He's a good player, but I don't know if I'd go so far as say he's a #1 C. Probably a high end #2 C is a more realistic expectation / goal. For comparison's sake, Schenn is only projected as a #2 C, and he's crushing the WJCs.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Then explain how he was contributing at 16 at a smaller size for the Vees?

You say that as though he was just as good before his growth spurt. He had 5 goals in 47 games! And that's Jr A.

I really like Johansen as a rising prospect, but your argument is a head scratcher.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
He's a good player, but I don't know if I'd go so far as say he's a #1 C. Probably a high end #2 C is a more realistic expectation / goal. For comparison's sake, Schenn is only projected as a #2 C, and he's crushing the WJCs.

Schenn as an 18yo at the WJC (2010) - 6 GP, 2 G, 6 A, 8 PTS, 4 PIM, +8, 12.50 SG%

Johansen as an 18yo at the WJC (2011) - 4 GP, 1 G, 6 A, 7 PTS, 0 PIM, +4, 7.14 SG%

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Schenn as an 18yo at the WJC (2010) - 6 GP, 2 G, 6 A, 8 PTS, 4 PIM, +8, 12.50 SG%

Johansen as an 18yo at the WJC (2011) - 4 GP, 1 G, 6 A, 7 PTS, 0 PIM, +4, 7.14 SG%

This.

But to be fair, Johansen is being relied upon MUCH more this year then Schenn was last year.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
This.

But to be fair, Johansen is being relied upon MUCH more this year then Schenn was last year.

Agreed. Schenn last year was on paper the teams no 2 center, but he basically split time with Luke Adam in key moments.

This year Johansen was the teams no 2 center, and on the no 1 PP, but then played the last two games on the 1st line with Schwartz and Kassian out.

With Schwartz gone, the big offensive weapons are going to be Schenn, Johansen, kassian and Leblanc

Last year Canada had Eberle and Hall, Kadri and Adam, Kozun and Mcmillan in addition to Schenn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad