Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Hamilton

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Probably for 4th line duty when Eakins doesn't want to dress the face puncher (Gazdic/Brown). I think he does have to go through waivers but he won't get claimed anyways.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I think it might be a backup plan for if Smyth doesn't show a hell of more in the near future. Hamilton can't do much but he work the boards and behind the pretty good or good enough until Gags gets back anyway.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
How long was Crosby out with the jaw injury? I know it was playoffs when he returned...5 or 6 weeks? Could mean Gags is back by early November with a full cage if his recovery is going well.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Intresting move, wonder where he fits in now? Hall must be staying at center for now.

Cant figure this one out. Does he need to clear waivers again if sent down?

Good question. A few CBAs ago, once a player cleared one time they became exempt - then it changed...not sure what the rules are now. Are Omark, Jones, Larsen and Eager waiver exempt now that they have cleared once already? Would be nice to know that the depth is in place if needed.

There are no longer re-entry waiver per new CBA.

Dooman

Mar 8, 2006
Good question. A few CBAs ago, once a player cleared one time they became exempt - then it changed...not sure what the rules are now. Are Omark, Jones, Larsen and Eager waiver exempt now that they have cleared once already? Would be nice to know that the depth is in place if needed.
R
There are no longer re-entry waiver per new CBA.
As I understand it, they can be recalled/sent down until they've played ten games or been on the roster for thirty days

NugeFan

Jul 5, 2013
We can only hope that they Smytty to the pressbox. I know I know...it's only wishful thinking. Eakins seems to have a hard-on for the guy. Time to hang up the skates pal.

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011
We can only hope that they Smytty to the pressbox. I know I know...it's only wishful thinking. Eakins seems to have a hard-on for the guy. Time to hang up the skates pal.

We're one game into the season and you're already saying this?

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
We've got 12 forwards right now... I wonder if someone tweaked something and may miss the Vancouver game (or if someone had a bad couple days of practice)

Interesting move considering we get Nuge back on Monday and it sounded like Eakins didn't want to carry too many extra press box guys.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't bring back Eager instead (or keep him up) just so they can have more fighters in when they play the Canucks on Saturday... though with Eager's comments about targeting star players, maybe he was sent down for a reason to not draw any suspicion if something were to happen.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ya, I would have rather had Eager in I think. It's obviously a 4th line/PB move so not too big a deal... but so far from what I've seen of Hamilton, he hasn't looked like he delivers much of anything. Of course let's give him a shot and see what he can do in a real game. Hopefully he surprises us all.

NugeFan

Jul 5, 2013
Ya, I would have rather had Eager in I think. It's obviously a 4th line/PB move so not too big a deal... but so far from what I've seen of Hamilton, he hasn't looked like he delivers much of anything. Of course let's give him a shot and see what he can do in a real game. Hopefully he surprises us all.

I agree. He can't skate...but he's has to be better than Smytty no?:yo:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
How long was Crosby out with the jaw injury? I know it was playoffs when he returned...5 or 6 weeks? Could mean Gags is back by early November with a full cage if his recovery is going well.

1 month

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Probably for 4th line duty when Eakins doesn't want to dress the face puncher (Gazdic/Brown). I think he does have to go through waivers but he won't get claimed anyways.

Based on my limited viewings, I'd have to say Gazdic is a superior player to Hamilton in all aspects, not just punching faces.

Gazdic can skate, hit, shoot, and play the puck (at least somewhat).

Hamilton looks as slow as molasses out there, adds zero toughness, and his offense hasn't translated to the NHL at all.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Based on my limited viewings, I'd have to say Gazdic is a superior player to Hamilton in all aspects, not just punching faces.

Gazdic can skate, hit, shoot, and play the puck (at least somewhat).

Hamilton looks as slow as molasses out there, adds zero toughness, and his offense hasn't translated to the NHL at all.

Ryan Hamilton was tied for 5th in the AHL in goals last year. 30 in 56 games.

Gazdic might be a better NHL player when you consider the type of rolls that each respective player would fill. But Gazdic better in all facets? Laughable. Besides, how do we know his offense hasn't translated to the NHL? He has 12 career games.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Ryan Hamilton was tied for 5th in the AHL in goals last year. 30 in 56 games.

Gazdic might be a better NHL player when you consider the type of rolls that each respective player would fill. But Gazdic better in all facets? Laughable. Besides, how do we know his offense hasn't translated to the NHL? He has 12 career games.

We've had lots of these AHL pluggers in our organization who put up numbers in the AHL: Cornet, Josh Green, Alexandre Giroux, Charles Linglet, Chris Minard, etc. None of them skate well enough to play in the NHL, and they put up jack squat for offence when they were up with the big team.

Ryan Hamilton is another one cut from the same cloth.

The real question you should be asking yourself is why we are wasting our time with this contract.

At least Gazdic can skate without embarrassing himself, and adds toughness to the line-up.

He also has more goals in the NHL than Hamilton, despite being 5 years younger, and playing only 5 minutes.

It would be ridiculous to take Gazdic out after scoring, and kicking the tar out of Thorburn - simply to replace him with this plug.

Last edited:

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Lowetide had a theory, and I agree because it makes the most sense, they are keeping Hall in the middle till Gags is back. I think Hamilton will be in for Brown more than anything, and also for game day injuries to players, as the team only has enough players on the main roster to dress for games.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
@JonathanWillis
Ryan Hamilton's been recalled because one of the #Oilers current players is questionable for Saturday and they want the healthy body.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We've had lots of these AHL pluggers in our organization who put up numbers in the AHL: Cornet, Josh Green, Alexandre Giroux, Charles Linglet, Chris Minard, etc. None of them skate well enough to play in the NHL, and they put up jack squat for offence when they were up with the big team.

Ryan Hamilton is another one cut from the same cloth.

The real question you should be asking yourself is why we are wasting our time with this contract.

At least Gazdic can skate without embarrassing himself, and adds toughness to the line-up.

He also has more goals in the NHL than Hamilton, despite being 5 years younger, and playing only 5 minutes.

It would be ridiculous to take Gazdic out after scoring, and kicking the tar out of Thorburn - simply to replace him with this plug.

I completely agree, Hamilton is not an NHL player. Gazdic is at least decent in his role, what role does Hamilton fill in our lineup? Slowest skater?

@JonathanWillis
Ryan Hamilton's been recalled because one of the #Oilers current players is questionable for Saturday and they want the healthy body.

Unless that player is Smyth we lose this potential trade off.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lowetide had a theory, and I agree because it makes the most sense, they are keeping Hall in the middle till Gags is back. I think Hamilton will be in for Brown more than anything, and also for game day injuries to players, as the team only has enough players on the main roster to dress for games.

For injury I can understand, but to replace Brown? Brown is a better skater, plays more physically, and does well in an energy role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad