Ryan Getzlaf vs Jonathan Toews

Getzlaf or Toews

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Toews is obviously having the better season. Getzlaf was definitely better for the last 3 or so years.

At their bests, I'm taking Toews. I believe he was a more impactul player in his prime and I think his overall career value is greater too.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Toews is having the better season, but Getzlaf was much better the last 3. I would still call Getzlaf the better player right now, since it's a small sample of games, and the Ducks offense is particularly anemic right now, but Getzlaf is also almost 34 though, so this could be the decline. Overall, I think they're pretty close over their careers, with one being better than the other in multiple years. Getzlaf is the better point producer and I would probably call him "better", but Toews frequently outplayed him head to head and is the better matchup center. I think it depends on team needs.

Reactions: wetcoast

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Getzlaf career ppg in the playoffs is actually higher than Toews lol. Getzlaf has really only had Perry and selanne on his team who was another star after nieds left.

Toews had Hossa , Kane , Seabrook, Keith.

Keith, Kane and Hossa are all HOF players and they were all in their primes at one point in Chicago. (2 of them are hawk lifers)

I'd assume if you had to start a franchise with a star and a load of shit around them you would go with Getzlaf .

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Uh, how literally are we taking the word 'now'?

If now means this season thus far, then Toews is better now. If 'now' is more about recently than this exact moment, then Getzlaf.

Career overall, when all is said and done, Toews. I think the fact that he's outplayed Getzlaf both head-to-head and as key members on the same international teams helps him out a great deal, in addition to more individual hardware. But Getzlaf is obviously the better raw producer.

I'll just hedge and assume you meant a recent sample, and say Getzlaf now and Toews career.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Getzlaf career ppg in the playoffs is actually higher than Toews lol. Getzlaf has really only had Perry on his team who was another star after nieds left.

Toews had Hossa , Kane , Seabrook, Keith.

Keith, Kane and Hossa are all HOF players and they were all in their primes at one point in Chicago. (2 of them are hawk lifers)

I'd assume if you had to start a franchise with a star and a load of **** around them you would go with Getzlaf .

Just so we are clear, Brent Seabrook is/was a star but Teemu Selanne wasn't?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
And what about Neidermayer and Pronger? Might those two HOFers perhaps cancel some players out?

I said after neids left and they were both like 34+... Pronger played for the team for 3 years.

Getzlaf wasn't the franchise player when they won the cup. You think if Getzlaf was in his prime and they had prime Pronger , neidermayer and selanne all together they would only have 1 cup?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I said after neids left and they were both like 34+... Pronger played for the team for 3 years.

Getzlaf wasn't the franchise player when they won the cup. You think if Getzlaf was in his prime and they had prime Pronger , neidermayer and selanne all together they would only have 1 cup?

I mean, Keith won a conn smythe at 33 (or like, a month short of 33) and Pronger damn near won one with Philly the year after he left, and Neidermayer won a conn smyther at 34 with the Ducks. I think you're understating their quality and impact during the time they played with Getzlaf.

But whatever. The point is, I don't think Getzlaf is a guy you can claim never had a great supporting cast. The Ducks were considered contenders through the bulk of his prime, aside from a dip around 2011-2012. They were good teams that couldn't get it done when it mattered, and were often undone by the under-performance of key players in must-win or series-clinching games, not a lack of depth.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I mean, Keith won a conn smythe at 33 (or like, a month short of 33) and Pronger damn near won one with Philly the year after he left. I think you're understating their quality and impact during the time they played with Getzlaf.

But whatever. The point is, I don't think Getzlaf is a guy you can claim never had a great supporting cast. The Ducks were considered contenders through the bulk of his prime, aside from a dip around 2011-2012. They were good teams that couldn't get it done when it mattered, and were often undone by the under-performance of key players in must-win or series-clinching games, not a lack of depth.

There's also a difference between playing with them for a few seasons when primes don't match versus playing an entire decade with almost the same core.

Sure Pronger was still good with the ducks but I'd take 10 chances with Pronger than 3..if you get what im saying.

After the cup year both guys were well into their 30s whereas Getzlaf was entering his prime.

Under the same circumstances if a hypothetical core of Getzlaf Pronger neidermayer Perry and selanne were together for 10+ years all in their primes they would be a dynasty. It obviously wasn't the case. Context matters.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Toews is obviously having the better season. Getzlaf was definitely better for the last 3 or so years.

At their bests, I'm taking Toews. I believe he was a more impactul player in his prime and I think his overall career value is greater too.

I dont think theres any chance Toews was more impactful in his prime. Right now Toews is having a better season so I voted Toews now but overall Getzlaf was a better player. Toews might have a better career based on the Smythe and a couple more cups but I dont think Chicagos chances go down if Getzlaf switches spots with Toews.

Getzlaf has a 90 point season, 2 80 point seasons, 3 70 point seasons compared to Toews who has broke 70 once. Toews has one season where he was above a point per game, Getzlaf has 7 point per game+ seasons. In the playoffs Getzlaf has a 0.96 point per game compared to Toews 0.85. Toews had the defensive edge I would say but Getzlaf is a really good defensive center and physically dominant. Hes not just a one way offensive player. Toews has a couple more cups but Getzlaf is a winner too. He has a couple Olympic golds and a stanley cup. The extra cups dont change the massive offensive edge Getzlaf has to me

If prime Getzlaf is Chicagos number one center, theyre a better team than having prime Toews.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I dont think theres any chance Toews was more impactful in his prime. Right now Toews is having a better season so I voted Toews now but overall Getzlaf was a better player. Toews might have a better career based on the Smythe and a couple more cups but I dont think Chicagos chances go down if Getzlaf switches spots with Toews.

Getzlaf has a 90 point season, 2 80 point seasons, 3 70 point seasons compared to Toews who has broke 70 once. Toews has one season where he was above a point per game, Getzlaf has 7 point per game+ seasons. In the playoffs Getzlaf has a 0.96 point per game compared to Toews 0.85. Toews had the defensive edge I would say but Getzlaf is a really good defensive center and physically dominant. Hes not just a one way offensive player. Toews has a couple more cups but Getzlaf is a winner too. He has a couple Olympic golds and a stanley cup. The extra cups dont change the massive offensive edge Getzlaf has to me

If prime Getzlaf is Chicagos number one center, theyre a better team than having prime Toews.
The early years of success for the Hawks I'm not so sure about. The Getzlaf team then is lacking in finishing and goal scoring. Before 14 Kane really didnt have the trust and command of his shot that he had and Toews' scoring touch is critical.

Getzlaf would of turned an already too many times passing up great shots team into potentially more lacking finishers at the net.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Toews is having the better season, but Getzlaf was much better the last 3. I would still call Getzlaf the better player right now, since it's a small sample of games, and the Ducks offense is particularly anemic right now, but Getzlaf is also almost 34 though, so this could be the decline. Overall, I think they're pretty close over their careers, with one being better than the other in multiple years. Getzlaf is the better point producer and I would probably call him "better", but Toews frequently outplayed him head to head and is the better matchup center. I think it depends on team needs.

One of the better posts that I have seen to break down a comparison between 2 players on here.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This season: Toews without question
In terms of overall play over the course of their careers: Getzlaf
In terms of resume in that time: Toews.

This comparison has come up a number of times over the years but I never thought it was a good one. Toews was constantly hailed for his defensive game to argue that he was the better player, but many people even outside the context of comparing the two severely underrated Getzlaf's own defensive ability. The difference in defensive ability between the two does not account for the difference in offensive ability. Getzlaf was the better player for longer. And I can only wonder if this slump of his might not have happened if Carlyle had been fired when he should have been (the first long losing streak of 7 losses in a row).

Reactions: Paul4587

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Getz all day. He's the type of player like Thornton who will keep putting up points late into his career. Toews is a fine player but I don't see him aging the same way...

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Career = Getzlaf, Toews being on an elite team for so long flatters his career achievements. Replace Toews with Getzlaf and that Hawks team is even better than it was. I see Getzlaf as a clear upgrade in in most facets of the game: bigger, stronger and much better playmaker.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
This is a pretty good poll actually. Toews has the better reputation more team success and also more individual sucess but getzlaf is the better player and better producer. That being said I’m gonna take Toews but it’s close. If Getzlaf has more back health in his career i think It would be hands down Getz. I don’t think we all realize how banged up this guy has played. He’s just an absolute beast puck possession wise and his vision and passing execution is right up there with anyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad