Ryan Getzlaf is flying under the radar

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He's a beast.

Hall of famer?

Yes he's a hall of famer. He's going to get well over 1000 points, has a cup (led the team in scoring that year), finalist for the Hart, 2 olympic golds

The consistency is remarkable too, outside of a terrible season for the whole ducks team in 2011/2012

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Underrated and overlooked in general, causing him to be overrated as a response in this thread. It's the OEL effect.

But a monster end to the season for a Ducks team that as a whole is being overlooked and is going to surprise some people in the playoffs

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Getzy really has been great all year but obviously took off for real when Eaves came in. It was really physically painful to watch Perry waste all those situations at the start of the year that Getzy made for him.
But I think Bieksa admitted the team started slow on purpose to finish stronger.

I think what points doesn`t show is his great 2 way play and he has been a calm and collected captain that team seems to be comfortable behind. Even Kesler admitted that Getzy is the driving force :D

If you still want to find some thing to **** about, then Getzlaf has been awful in 99% of the overtimes. But who cares now, the 3 vs 3 will be back only in October

Last edited:

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
God, Getzlaf has been awful 3 on 3. Not only is he prone to crappy backhand passes, he's also not fast enough to catch someone on a breakaway.

It's like he's too used to having zero space and firing passes through the eye of the needle, and just freezes up when he sees so much open space.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
God, Getzlaf has been awful 3 on 3. Not only is he prone to crappy backhand passes, he's also not fast enough to catch someone on a breakaway.

It's like he's too used to having zero space and firing passes through the eye of the needle, and just freezes up when he sees so much open space.

:handclap:
He has had some unbelievable passes this year. Against whom was that goal when he found Eaves at the other side of the ice completely open and dished a pass basically through everybody?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
As was established earlier in the thread, it's kinda hard to put up points when you're carrying Perry like a sulking child whose way of coping is to sit down and refuse to move.

I've been on HF a while. The argument is:

1. Of course he sucked, his linemates sucked.

or

2. He carried his line as all great players do.

Now, I think Getzlaf is better than simply a good player. So, which is it?

Is he a guy who produces best when his line knows what they're doing or is he a guy who works out best when people are hot?

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I've been on HF a while. The argument is: (...)

Nobody cares about an artificially constructed two-dimensional argument some people on HF use to create a point that isn't there. If that's all you have, refer to an earlier post, and stop while behind.

It's unlikely for top end scorers to end up with three thirds of a season that all end up with roughly the same point production. Some ups and downs in terms of output are the norm, and you have to play through that. Getzlaf did so, and did so very well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He's never been given the credit he deserves. He was a top 5 player for a longggggg time. Back to it by the looks of it.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, he's a good player for sure. Often under rated when it comes to talking about the best players to come out of the 2003 draft. For my money he's up there with Weber and Bergeron for best to come out of that draft class.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I've been on HF a while. The argument is:

1. Of course he sucked, his linemates sucked.

or

2. He carried his line as all great players do.

Now, I think Getzlaf is better than simply a good player. So, which is it?

Is he a guy who produces best when his line knows what they're doing or is he a guy who works out best when people are hot?

Well he has been an elite player for a decade now, in the regular season and playoffs (except for maybe a few seasons I think), so there's that.

DirtyMitts

Oct 1, 2016
Montréal, QC, Canada
Always been a fan of Getzlaf. Great player. His vision is top 10 in the league, maybe even top 5. The passes he makes sometimes are incredible.

It sucks for the Ducks that Perry has fallen that much... he's got absolutely ZERO speed now and will probably soon be ineffective. Next Heatley ?

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
"Y'All" is singular.

Perry and Getzlaf don't play together.

Y'all is short for "you all" though.

Also, Getzlaf and Perry spent a large portion of the year playing together, though Eaves took Perry's spot when they traded for him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Always been a fan of Getzlaf. Great player. His vision is top 10 in the league, maybe even top 5. The passes he makes sometimes are incredible.

It sucks for the Ducks that Perry has fallen that much... he's got absolutely ZERO speed now and will probably soon be ineffective. Next Heatley ?

Perry's speed has never been good, he's maybe lost a little bit there but his issues this year have been his inability to give or receive a pass cleanly, his unwillingness to go to the net like he's always done in the past and his effort levels. It looks like he decided to mentally check out for 3/4 of the year.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
As was established earlier in the thread, it's kinda hard to put up points when you're carrying Perry like a sulking child whose way of coping is to sit down and refuse to move.

Oddly when pens say this about Sid dragging around the corpse that is kunitz, it's quickly discounted. Interesting.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA

That's what we're worried about. Hopefully this was just a down year for him (kinda like 11/12), but him having a season like this on the wrong side of 30 isn't exactly a great sign. The good thing, if it can be called that, is that his effort level seems to be the main problem, but he's just been so out of it this year on so many levels.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Oddly when pens say this about Sid dragging around the corpse that is kunitz, it's quickly discounted. Interesting.

Crosby has only played 191 of his 1118 minutes at 5 on 5 with Kunitz. Getzlaf played 630 of his 1119 minutes with Perry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad