Value of: Ryan Ellis

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah. We've never heard a player say they want to finish their career in a certain place and then price themselves out. That's never happened before.

And we've never seen a team walk away from a highly priced UFA and replace that player with a capable rookie on an ELC. Nope never.
Either way, we should have a better idea of which way it's heading later in the summer. That's really the time when it would make more sense to continue this thread. Not now. Either he'll sign an extension and we know he's sticking around (at least until the expansion draft anyway) or he won't and the odds of walking as a UFA rise correspondingly. Plus we'll see how the Preds spend their $10M in cap space in July first, that may also inform their decision on the Ellis file.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He's very good, but I don't see it, but it's hf. I'm sure people think much worse dman are much better than they actually are.

You mean like Shea Weber? Yeah, I agree.

Ryan Ellis was a top pairing defenseman before HF admitted it. But I’m sure you’d know better than me.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
You mean like Shea Weber? Yeah, I agree.

Ryan Ellis was a top pairing defenseman before HF admitted it. But I’m sure you’d know better than me.

This is why hf is terrible. Everyone gets offended so easily.

I've seen your posts for years now and you've never changed.

If I were you I wouldn't respond ad I have no intention of responding to your blatant attempts to change the subject when you can't defend your point

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

If I were you I wouldn't respond ad I have no intention of responding to your blatant attempts to change the subject when you can't defend your point
This is a curious response from one who's only been registered for two weeks.

Ellis is a top-pairing guy. He's been capable of it for a long while and he's played that role repeatedly alongside Josi for the last two seasons. It's not debatable.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Everything he said is correct. Ellis has been a top pairing defensemen for a long time, and only got credit for it recently.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Offended? Good lord. :laugh: I didn’t know we were getting into an honest to goodness debate. But it’s strange that I have to prove that Ellis is a top pairing defenseman when you don’t have to prove that he isn’t.

I don’t know whether to be flattered or creeped out that you stalk my posts for years, apparently.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Look ahead to 2920. They have $43M in 6F and 2D.

In 2922 is when Shea Weber’s low contract salary seasons kick in so there is a potential $6M or more recapture kicking in that needs to budgeted for.

If we assume the 2020 cap is $81M.....they gives them $38M to fill the roster.

They need to sign Josi. Say $8M
They will have Fiala, Scissins, Hartman, and Tolvanen to sign..say combine with bridges its $10 M.

Then a goalie and backup...budget $6M for both here.

Thus makes their roster...10F, 3D, and 2G for $67M

Ellis price likely $6M. Then that means $8M left for 7 players. Tight budget.

Other issue with a 2020 expansion they will prefer to go 7-3-1 thus exposing one of the top 4 Dman.

They could sign Ellis then expose a UFA Josi to the expansion draft then sign him after. Very risky.

They would probably prefer to trade him for a vet Dman that is older with 2 yrs left and a young draft exempt ELC who could be nhl ready in 2020. Thus could be a vet Dman and a 1sr thus year in a deal. And they use the 1st on a Dman.

You posted the same thing a couple weeks ago and I debunked it then.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
He's very good, but I don't see it, but it's hf. I'm sure people think much worse dman are much better than they actually are.
Really? The guy is playing top pair on one of the best defensive teams in the league, what don't you see?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Would like to have a d man on the Flyers of Ellis’ caliber but I would imagine the cost being very high and also with Seattle expansion coming it would be to risky as the Flyers may very well be losing on the the young defenders come expansion time.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Yeah. We've never heard a player say they want to finish their career in a certain place and then price themselves out. That's never happened before.

And we've never seen a team walk away from a highly priced UFA and replace that player with a capable rookie on an ELC. Nope never.

I think the point was that you oversimplified the situation with your "he'll walk" comment. It's not so cut and dry.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Look ahead to 2920. They have $43M in 6F and 2D.

In 2922 is when Shea Weber’s low contract salary seasons kick in so there is a potential $6M or more recapture kicking in that needs to budgeted for.

If we assume the 2020 cap is $81M.....they gives them $38M to fill the roster.

They need to sign Josi. Say $8M
They will have Fiala, Scissins, Hartman, and Tolvanen to sign..say combine with bridges its $10 M.

Then a goalie and backup...budget $6M for both here.

Thus makes their roster...10F, 3D, and 2G for $67M

Ellis price likely $6M. Then that means $8M left for 7 players. Tight budget.

Other issue with a 2020 expansion they will prefer to go 7-3-1 thus exposing one of the top 4 Dman.

They could sign Ellis then expose a UFA Josi to the expansion draft then sign him after. Very risky.

They would probably prefer to trade him for a vet Dman that is older with 2 yrs left and a young draft exempt ELC who could be nhl ready in 2020. Thus could be a vet Dman and a 1sr thus year in a deal. And they use the 1st on a Dman.
This does not bode well for the value of our money if it's still the same 900yrs from now.

May 9, 2018
Leafs offer Connor brown, Jake Gardiner and a 2nd. If Nashville's smart they take that and run.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Jets can offer Tyler Myers and one of Marko Dano/Nic Petan. Preds probably say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad