Value of: Ryan Ellis

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
he'd certainly fetch interest and a fair return but I think NSH would be foolish to break up what they have now. Their window is still open.

And not that it matters but Ellis has also expressed interest in finishing his career in NSH

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I feel like he would be a very good fit in Edmonton but I don't think they have the expendable peices to acquire him. Maybe the 10th? Although I'd think NSH wants a impact player back more than picks

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't understand why this would even be discussed, is there a thought the Preds can't sign him? even if that's the case you're a cup contender why weaken that?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
his value is high. hopefully the leafs sign him in free agency when they miss out on doughty

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I feel like he would be a very good fit in Edmonton but I don't think they have the expendable peices to acquire him. Maybe the 10th? Although I'd think NSH wants a impact player back more than picks
something around Puljujarvi and Ellis perhaps. EDM adds a replacement D and NSH adds a top 9 replacement F

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Puljujarvi hasnt even proven he can make it in the NHL. Struggled a lot. NSH isnt gonna take that sort of gamble and in the middle of their Cup window no less

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Rights to JVR (Cond 2nd)
Connor Carrick
Leafs 1st RDP

If they dont Sign JVR they get an additional 2nd in 2019

Rielly - Ellis
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zaitsev

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I cannot see the Preds trading Ellis now. For all that he is coming off a terrible post-season, he's still a huge value asset to a contending team with his remaining season at the $2.5M cap hit.

Whether he gets traded in the future... who knows. For all that he was on a torrid pace for a couple months after coming back from his injury, he still has some knocks. Size obviously, and still hasn't topped 40pts for a guy that is ostensibly more of an offense-oriented D. So I think there's a limit on what I'd offer him on his next deal.

But it sounds like he really wants to stay in Nashville, so that's good. If he'll take a longish term deal in the $5M-$5.5M per range, I'd be happy to extend him this summer. Now, I can see him asking for more on the open market if he did hit UFA next summer, sure, so if he's not interested in extending this summer at the lower number, maybe investigating trade options would become more worthwhile later on. But as of right now, it's not on the agenda and the extension talk comes first. And then possibly even playing him out at $2.5M and letting him consider his options in summer 2019 would also still be better than a trade, depending.

Preds have a ton of cap space, so replacing him via free agency is not going to be a problem, if they ever did come to letting him walk next summer. In that sense, letting him play at the bargain $2.5M hit this year and then "trading him via free agency" could work out as well.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Look ahead to 2920. They have $43M in 6F and 2D.

In 2922 is when Shea Weber’s low contract salary seasons kick in so there is a potential $6M or more recapture kicking in that needs to budgeted for.

If we assume the 2020 cap is $81M.....they gives them $38M to fill the roster.

They need to sign Josi. Say $8M
They will have Fiala, Scissins, Hartman, and Tolvanen to sign..say combine with bridges its $10 M.

Then a goalie and backup...budget $6M for both here.

Thus makes their roster...10F, 3D, and 2G for $67M

Ellis price likely $6M. Then that means $8M left for 7 players. Tight budget.

Other issue with a 2020 expansion they will prefer to go 7-3-1 thus exposing one of the top 4 Dman.

They could sign Ellis then expose a UFA Josi to the expansion draft then sign him after. Very risky.

They would probably prefer to trade him for a vet Dman that is older with 2 yrs left and a young draft exempt ELC who could be nhl ready in 2020. Thus could be a vet Dman and a 1sr thus year in a deal. And they use the 1st on a Dman.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't need to look past 2018-19 and 2019-20. The Preds have $10M+ more to spend in that window on top of their incumbent lineup, and for a team aiming to be in contention those years, you have to spend it. I'm not going to start worrying about 2020-21 yet. If we have to lose a good player to Seattle, perhaps that's the cost of being a good team. Or if a trade becomes forced at that time, whatever, we'll know who the best option to drop is at that time. Not now.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I guess you missed the report today that he wants to finish his career in nashville
Yeah. We've never heard a player say they want to finish their career in a certain place and then price themselves out. That's never happened before.

And we've never seen a team walk away from a highly priced UFA and replace that player with a capable rookie on an ELC. Nope never.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad