Injury Report: Ryan Ellis: Sept 22, 2022 update: potential career-ending injury, out indefinitely; torn muscle from spine to hip

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Doctor expenses aren't going to affect Comcast's stock price, and the doctors that any NHL team uses are going to be better and more expensive than any doctor you'll ever visit.
From what I have seen doctors usually have their own practice working with regular people in addition to working for a team. Looking up two of them on the Flyers medical staff confirms this.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I remember that hit. It was brutal. I was shocked the Flyers signed Bureau after it.

BTW, Petr Svoboda gets my vote as one of the most underrated Flyers of all-time. That guy was really good. Unfortunately very injury prone.
Never really understood why the Flyers traded him to get Dykhuis back. I thought maybe Svoboda had some kind of clash with Clarke about something, because it seemed odd.

No disagreement there about being underrated but I also think Svoboda was generally appreciated by keen eyes. Svoboda struggled in the first year under Roger Neilson and was pointless in the month of October the year in which he was traded. IIRC, Neilson scratched him a couple of games perhaps related to a bum knee which got worse over time and with it his play decreased. Dykhuis was mistake-prone and lacked confidence at times. There was the hope that he could combat those maladies but it never materialized.

Remember, too, that Svoboda had what was considered major surgery on his knee when he played for Buffalo, it preceded his Flyers' days. I don't recall friction between Svoboda and coaches other than maybe being rested when the player's competitive nature wanted to play.

Finally, back to Marc Bureau, the Flyers almost always had a fondness for top centers and faceoffs. Clarke, Brind'Amour, Lindros, Giroux, and the list goes on... but Bureau was considered strong in that facet of the game. Patrice Bergeron cited Bureau as a mentor for faceoffs and he is certainly on a short list of the best faceoff men the past few years at the NHL level.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
767.gif

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
should have had ol' ryan watch more John Wayne movies.....is that a manbun :eek:

Attachments

• 291951408_10221857276047958_3703793864688462221_n.jpg
    291951408_10221857276047958_3703793864688462221_n.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: Devonator

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
From the minute he was traded from Nashville he seemed very disappointed he was leaving Nashville to come here. Now with this injury I doubt he can muster the motivation to come back, and even if he does theres no reason to think hes going to play like a top pairing defenseman.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Ellis has his deal; supposedly he has insurance on it from the Predators. He gets paid no matter what. He doesn't want to be here. He's going on the LTIR list for the next few years. Lets just forget about him.
Nashville got rid of their problem-Ellis; the Flyers got rid of theirs in Patrick. All good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ellis has his deal; supposedly he has insurance on it from the Predators. He gets paid no matter what. He doesn't want to be here. He's going on the LTIR list for the next few years. Lets just forget about him.
Nashville got rid of their problem-Ellis; the Flyers got rid of theirs in Patrick. All good.
Patrick bring a zero-sum asset right now would be a clear win for us given the issues having that dead money will cause.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Patrick bring a zero-sum asset right now would be a clear win for us given the issues having that dead money will cause.
LTIRing Ellis is a drag but it can be worked around. Just numbers for the accounting department. Who knows, a team might want his contract in the future to get to a cap floor.
Patrick was a knife in the heart of the franchise. His inability to perform was a black mark on the club's core. IMO, things have gone downhill from the day that he was drafted. His poor play, the cloud around if he should have been selected, etc. He had to go.

Reactions: Pantokrator

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
LTIRing Ellis is a drag but it can be worked around. Just numbers for the accounting department. Who knows, a team might want his contract in the future to get to a cap floor.
Patrick was a knife in the heart of the franchise. His inability to perform was a black mark on the club's core. IMO, things have gone downhill from the day that he was drafted. His poor play, the cloud around if he should have been selected, etc. He had to go.
But I'm saying if we would've just not even bothered to re-sign Patrick upon not trading him, along with that Myers would be a cap credit in a buyout vs. Ellis playing 5 games and disappearing, hindsight being what it is, you wouldn't do that trade today.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The Flyers have a big dead cap hit. That's not all good. That's large bad.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
the insurance company should sue him.....he should have to show he physically can't play

Or is it mental like patrick ?

And we wonder why ticket prices are so effin' high :rant:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
What is the first day he can go on LTIR? I can’t seem to find the league calendar, I’m going to assume September sometime?

Also after this season, do we need to do the same process? Stay cap compliant until the opening of the 2023-2024 season and then move him over again? Nightmare if so

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What is the first day he can go on LTIR? I can’t seem to find the league calendar, I’m going to assume September sometime?

Also after this season, do we need to do the same process? Stay cap compliant until the opening of the 2023-2024 season and then move him over again? Nightmare if so
Somehow TB has survived.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
With Duncan Keith retiring, the Hawks are being hit with a seven million dollar recapture penalty since the contract was back loaded. If Ellis would retire, which seems to be a distinct possibility since he isn't going to be able to play with a degenerative hip injury, would the Flyers get off of the hook for some of his costs and Nashville be responsible for a recapture penalty? In 19-20 he signed an eight year extension for $50M. The first season saw him with a $700K base salary and a total salary for the year of $7,700,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
From what I have seen doctors usually have their own practice working with regular people in addition to working for a team. Looking up two of them on the Flyers medical staff confirms this.
My doctor is affiliated with the Flyers Organization. I know physicians who have worked with Flyers personnel in the past who are not hired by the organization.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And boy, have we ever turned things around since trading him

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Don't mean to be dense, can someone explain LTIR? It is my understanding that the Flyers would need to be cap compliant on Day 1 of the season, with Ellis included in the cap calc. They can then move him to LTIR and use his cap space. They can then sign or trade for someone who is worth $6MM for one year (and hopefully Ellis does not recover during the year). LTIR only seems like a good option when you are near the end of the year and in playoff contention.... Side bar issue - anyone worth$6MM is most likely going to be long gone by day 1 of the season....

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad