danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
dzingel-ryan.jpg

-23 goals last season
-4 goals and 7 points in 8 games so far this season
-is very fast
-Has a low cap hit at 1.8M
-This means his remaining cap hit at the deadline will only be about 500k (not sure on the exact number)

What's his value as a rental? Has he reached 1st round pick+ rental status, or is he not there yet? Will his low cap hit boost his marketability as a playoff acquisition?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
As a fan of Ottawa I would definitely need a 1st before I would even think about it.

Reactions: zaqq

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Interesting player. I’d be interested in him as a mid-level free agent. But I’m a fan of s team that won’t likely be looking to add significantly come deadline time

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
He was drafted by Ottawa, he's only 26, and he's playing incredibly well. He is UFA at the end of the season, so he should be in the group with Duchene and Stone as "must re-sign or get a big trade return".

A 1st rounder is a must, from what I can see at the moment. And it's only going up if he keeps playing well up to the deadline. There's been far worse players who brought back a 1st as a rental.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
As a fan of Ottawa I would definitely need a 1st before I would even think about it.

2nd + mediocre prospect or late pick would be fine with me.

He's a good offensive player but brings very little away from the puck. Loses most of his battles and isn't all that great defensively.

Frankly I think I'd prefer we trade him for picks/prospects than give him a long-term deal at decent money.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
He gets a 1st at this point for sure. Ottawa has to sign somebody though, if either or both of Duchene/Stone want out there should be no reason Dzingel isn’t re-signed. If both Stone/Duchene sign however Dzingel is probably gone. Pretty underrated player.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I can see him moving for what Chicago got for Ryan Hartman. A youngish player with an appealing skillset that only really lacks overall experience.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I can see him moving for what Chicago got for Ryan Hartman. A youngish player with an appealing skillset that only really lacks overall experience.

Hartman was an RFA after his contract ended though, so he wasn't actually a rental.

Plus he is 2YRs younger than Dzingel and was a 1st round pick, which definitely increased his value.

Reactions: Riptide

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think teams would give up a 1st all day if they could talk extension with him first. I don't know if teams will give up a 1st for Dzingel today - the deadline is a different story though, overpayments and underpayments made from desperation happen every year so who knows how much it will be?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Is he a center or a wing? Would love to add his speed to MN. Likely won’t happen as we don’t want to stunt the growth of JEE or Jordan greenway, but it’s intriguing. At this point I think JEE might have a 3C ceiling, so I would be open to trading him, especially seeing as Boudreau seems to think he could end up being a winger. We have enough wingers in the system as is.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Originally had a response to a question on a fantasy thread here.

Dzingel should have value to a team looking for depth, or add some scoring punch to the 3rd line. Not sure what a return would be, but he is definitely an attractive rental.

He is inexpensive, and still young, so I think Ottawa could squeeze a little extra value by asking for a conditional later round pick (on top of the normal rental return) if a team re-signs him.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He was drafted by Ottawa, he's only 26, and he's playing incredibly well. He is UFA at the end of the season, so he should be in the group with Duchene and Stone as "must re-sign or get a big trade return".

A 1st rounder is a must, from what I can see at the moment. And it's only going up if he keeps playing well up to the deadline. There's been far worse players who brought back a 1st as a rental.

The thread isn't really a commentary on whether or not it would be prudent or likely for the Sens to keep Dzingel.

Basically, if it comes to the Sens having to deal him at the TDL, I'm curious to see what people think his value would be

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Probably a 2nd and a B level prospect if he's not extended. If he's extended and traded, definitely a first.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
The thread isn't really a commentary on whether or not it would be prudent or likely for the Sens to keep Dzingel.

Basically, if it comes to the Sens having to deal him at the TDL, I'm curious to see what people think his value would be

I got that. I was making the point that they can't just trade him for market value. Just like with Duchene and Stone, it has to be a big win for Ottawa. The situation suggests that the return must be substantial.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He would have more value with a mid term contract like 3 years at a 2-3.25 mil cap hit if a team could have that then a rental.

Patrick Maroon although a bit older BUT similar production went for a 3rd and meh prospect last year.
Dzingel is a few years younger and has speed although Maroon plays a heavy game, i think Dzingel could get a bit more like okay prospect and a 2nd. With a decent contract polly a 1st+. But you never know i could still see a team give up a first for him as rental although less likely.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
-23 goals last season
-4 goals and 7 points in 8 games so far this season
-is very fast
-Has a low cap hit at 1.8M
-This means his remaining cap hit at the deadline will only be about 500k (not sure on the exact number)

What's his value as a rental? Has he reached 1st round pick+ rental status, or is he not there yet?
Will his low cap hit boost his marketability as a playoff acquisition?
It's possible, but I think you're more likely in the 2nd+decent prospect/young player range still (even with 50% retention - which at that point (TD) would be something like 270k). GMs will toss away 2nds all day long... their 1sts not so much.

At last seasons deadline 7 firsts were traded. Of those only 3 were for rentals (Kane, Stastny and Nash), and one had the other team taking back a brutal contract. The others (Brassard, Tatar, McDonagh & Hartman), were all for players with term left on their contracts (or in Hartman's case an RFA). So I don't really think that as good as Dzingel has been offensively, that he'll fetch a 1st. All dependent on the market and how much of a bidding war there is for him... but I wouldn't hold your breath.

And what happens if neither happen? I mean Dzingel has to want to stay in Ottawa, and other GMs have to be willing to offer a "big return" (which of course is subjective). I also think he's going to get offered more on the market then Ottawa would ever consider paying him, so I don't really see that as a realistic option.

Recently? Not really. Is it possible that he gets a first? Absolutely... I just wouldn't hold your breath for it. Things changed with the new draft lotto odds. We still see 1sts get moved... just not nearly so much for rentals as we do for guys with term. And if they are moved for rentals, they're moved for the top tier guys, not your 2nd or 3rd tier guys like Dzingel. And please don't see this as me putting him down - that's not the case at all. The kid could be a good 2nd liner depending on the fit with his center, or a great 3rd liner. But there's not many of those guys getting 1sts as rentals at the TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBradyBunch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad