Value of: Ryan Dzingel as a rental

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He was drafted by Ottawa, he's only 26, and he's playing incredibly well. He is UFA at the end of the season, so he should be in the group with Duchene and Stone as "must re-sign or get a big trade return".

A 1st rounder is a must, from what I can see at the moment. And it's only going up if he keeps playing well up to the deadline. There's been far worse players who brought back a 1st as a rental.

Pass trades deadlines has nothing to do with this one . They all set their own price base on supply and demand . Look at what Karlsson got . Top pairing RHD have gotten far more and Karlsson is an elite #1 .

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
He will return about what Grabner did, imo.

2nd + mid-level prospect.

Exactly my thoughts. Very similar players, though Grabner is better defensively. But Dzingel is 5 years younger and has a chance to be more consistent year in year out vs the peaks and valleys Grabner experiences.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Deadline prices are set more by reputation than they are by recent performance. I don’t think Dzingel has been around long enough to have the reputation of a guy worth a 1st round pick at the deadline.

And yes, I know about Ryan Hartman, but I feel he is a bit of an outlier.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
2nd + mediocre prospect or late pick would be fine with me.

He's a good offensive player but brings very little away from the puck. Loses most of his battles and isn't all that great defensively.

Frankly I think I'd prefer we trade him for picks/prospects than give him a long-term deal at decent money.

Ryan Hartman

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Pass trades deadlines has nothing to do with this one . They all set their own price base on supply and demand . Look at what Karlsson got . Top pairing RHD have gotten far more and Karlsson is an elite #1 .

Karlsson wasn't traded at the deadline, and being a pending UFA wasn't the only reason he was traded. The reasons behind that trade could fill a book, and it lead to the poor return. Karlsson and Hoffman's trades are not comparable, at all. And I'm not an Ottawa fan, to be clear.

Past deadlines, however, are comparable. Unless you think this particular TDL will have a larger than normal amount of scoring forwards, then they are relevant.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
as a fan I'd like a 1st (or 2nd + mid-range prospect)

BUT after seeing Doirion's moves... I expect a 3rd and a career AHLer ... **sigh**

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I suspect he'll return a 2nd + mid prospect.

Duchene and Stone will set the market at the TDL should they become available which could hurt his value.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Originally had a response to a question on a fantasy thread here.

Dzingel should have value to a team looking for depth, or add some scoring punch to the 3rd line. Not sure what a return would be, but he is definitely an attractive rental.

He is inexpensive, and still young, so I think Ottawa could squeeze a little extra value by asking for a conditional later round pick (on top of the normal rental return) if a team re-signs him.

Dzingle did put up just outside 1st line number last year and so far this year 1st line numbers. Lower end so he obviously will not be traded to a team needing a top line LW, but he is easily a 2nd line winger on just about every team in this league.

Whats the going rate for a player who is 33rd in scoring at his position over last year and this? That also included 22nd in goals last year, 14th this year? I'd think its at least Tatar territory.

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
Dzingle did put up just outside 1st line number last year and so far this year 1st line numbers. Lower end so he obviously will not be traded to a team needing a top line LW, but he is easily a 2nd line winger on just about every team in this league.

Whats the going rate for a player who is 33rd in scoring at his position over last year and this? That also included 22nd in goals last year, 14th this year? I'd think its at least Tatar territory.

Dizingel has a single 20 goal season under his belt, and while he seems like a solid player, I don't think contending teams will be looking for him to take on a prominent scoring role, it will be to bolster their depth. Maybe he is a fit on a 2nd line if a contender really likes their 3rd line as is, but in general, I think he's viewed as a good top 9 forward.

I don't think the Tatar trade is a reasonable expectation for the value for Dzingel. Tatar was in the midst of his 6th straight season scoring at a 20+ goal pace, and he had term left on his deal, so he wasn't a rental, so his value would have been more than Dzingel's. Also, that trade was a highly visible failure for Vegas that looked like an overpay at the time, and looks even worse since, so that trade won't be setting a market for UFA forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad