Player Discussion Ryan Donato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Anyone think Donato can step in as the 3rd line C between Heinen and Backes? Bruins could give him the Spooner treatment and shelter him with 75%+ OZ starts if needed and play the 4th line more when the team has the lead.

Heinen-Donato-Backes
Schaller-Nash-Kuraly

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I see donato being in our top 9 before the end of the year.
I think Nash will be on the 4th line.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Can't see the connection among Wingels, Gionta and Donato. Ryan, if signed, will play in the top nine. Too much talent and experience at a high level to squander on the fourth line.

Reactions: TCB

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Ryan if signed will play if he can show that he is ready for it. I would hope he would see some time in Providence to adjust his game and if he looks ready I would put him in the lineup, no reason to rush him if it isn't a requirement for signing him. All of the college kids outside of Mcavoy have needed time to adjust to the pro game, I wouldn't assume he will slot right in.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Yeah he's definitely not jumping in to play center at the NHL level without any pro experience.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I think Nash will be on the 4th line.

I wouldn't break up the current fourth line. Anyway, Donato's a wing, so no threat to Nash. DS indicated Wingels could play center in a pinch.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Donato is not an NHL center. If you get a chance to watch a Harvard game before the end of the year, watch Donato in his own zone and compare that to Badini, their 2nd line C.

Love his shot and hopefully he develops a well rounded game as a winger, and doesn't fall into the Vatrano trap.

Reactions: Gator Mike

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Do not like idea burning a year.Burn a year and he plays like Bjork did it would be a kick in junk.Expansion coming again too.If they burn it I sure hope he makes me eat crow

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Do not like idea burning a year.Burn a year and he plays like Bjork did it would be a kick in junk.Expansion coming again too.If they burn it I sure hope he makes me eat crow

Ummmm...

1) The B’s didnt burn a year with Bjork.

2) He played fine until he got the concussion. In his first 15 games, he had 3g/6a. After he got hurt, he had only 1g/2a in his next 15 games.

3) The “burn a year” thing is typically not a guarantee of performance, it’s just a tool used by GM’s to entice guys to come out of school (JFK last Spring).

Reactions: Alicat

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Any idea how many games Donato would need to play to burn a year off his ELC? Cause JFK came straight over and played 1 game and he didn’t lose a year?

I know there’s some rule at the beginning of the year a kid can get like a 9 game tryout is that still the same in this scenario?

Just wondering if we can get a good glimpse out of him to see if he can hang.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
JFK did lose a year. If you look on capfriendly.com you will see he has 1 years left after this on his 3 year ELC.

The 9 game rule applies to CHL where they can play up to 9 games, and if you are not returned your ELC slides.

The one I'm not sure how it works, is how DeBrusk played all of last year in the AHL and yet his contract slid whereas Heinen did the same but his contract did not slide. Maybe their age when they signed or it was because Heinen played 8 games in the NHL. Not sure.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
JFK did lose a year. If you look on capfriendly.com you will see he has 1 years left after this on his 3 year ELC.

The 9 game rule applies to CHL where they can play up to 9 games, and if you are not returned your ELC slides.

The one I'm not sure how it works, is how DeBrusk played all of last year in the AHL and yet his contract slid whereas Heinen did the same but his contract did not slide. Maybe their age when they signed or it was because Heinen played 8 games in the NHL. Not sure.
I think it had something to do with DeBrusk coming out of juniors whereas Heinen came out of college.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Pretty sure it has to do with the age that the player signs the contract? Go down a few paragraphs:

NHL Entry Level Contracts (ELC) – A Quick Primer

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Pretty sure it has to do with the age that the player signs the contract? Go down a few paragraphs:

NHL Entry Level Contracts (ELC) – A Quick Primer
Thanks Joe!

Here’s the paragraph

ELS (Entry Level Slide) – If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Reactions: Thrive and 00BW

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
selfishly I`d love to see Donato in a B`s uniform this year just so I can watch him more however, I just don`t think it`s worth it to burn a year. Now, for transparency sakes, I have only seen a few games with him between the Beanpot and a couple of Olympic tilts and he sure looked good but it`s sure alot to ask/expect from a kid if he does in fact come out before the end of the year. I remember an interview with Lou Lams who was still with the Devils, he was talking about prospects and when to know the proper time to promote a kid from the minors and his answer was one I`ll always remember "when you have the luxury of time, use it".

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I was cross checked as a peewee. Bjork was cross checked by an nhler therefore nhl is more physical than peewee hockey despite the rules being the same

Actually, the rules in Pee Wee hockey are pretty different.

No delayed offside, no checking, automatic icing. Lots of stuff.

The NHL is physical (for guys with any size frame), just less physical than it was in the day, much to the chagrin of some of our posters.

I think what Brad was saying is that Bjork’s injury resulted from a crosscheck, which had nothing to do with his “frame”, just caught him right.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

The NHL is physical (for guys with any size frame), just less physical than it was in the day, much to the chagrin of some of our posters.

I think what Brad was saying is that Bjork’s injury resulted from a crosscheck, which had nothing to do with his “frame”, just caught him right.
It sure looked innocent enough at the time it happened. I dislocated my shoulder on one of the lightest checks I ever took many many moons ago. You just never know. Unfortunate for the kid but he`ll be back

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

There was checking when I was a peewee.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It sure looked innocent enough at the time it happened. I dislocated my shoulder on one of the lightest checks I ever took many many moons ago. You just never know. Unfortunate for the kid but he`ll be back

Yup sometimes shit just happens.

I can’t tell you how many times I have seen kids get crushed and watch them pop right back up and in the same game game someone gets tapped and is injured. These seems to be particularly true with concussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad