Ryan Carter (2-way, $725,000)

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
He played a total of 12 minutes and 50 seconds in the playoffs his first time around. Only one of those in the finals. Regular? Far from it. You know what? That's about as far from a regular as you can get. And I sure will discount that.

10 people on his team outscored him with the Devils. Had two game winners, though. That's definitely something. Carter showed a lot in those playoffs. Even with his misconduct in the deciding game.

Still, I don't want a fourth liner averaging a penalty a game, much less two penalties a game. There is a way to play fast and hard without having to take penalties. He needs to learn that. For how much of a seasoned 'regular' he's argued to be, you'd think he'd learn that by now.

I didnt know that a 4th liner was looked to outscore the rest of the team. Huh, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for showing me the light.

We should just sign fouth liners cause they're suppose to outscore the team.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
You know what man, you're right. **** it, put Bickel on that line instead. Or Veilleux. Or one of our young guys that isn't ready, yet.

:help:

And for what it's worth, Suter did look very sketchy his first couple of weeks into the lockout season with us. Enough so, that I was worried we overpaid by a lot, which, I now have plenty of evidence that we clearly did not.

Give a guy more than 20 minutes before you freak out.

Suter was an All Star before coming to the Wild. Carter didn't do much of anything. Body of work.

Yes, at this point I want Fontaine in over Carter. If a RW gets hurt, then you call up Almond or Keranen. Those are three players who offer a lot more than Carter, without being Bickel, Veilleux, or a young guy.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Suter was an All Star before coming to the Wild. Carter didn't do much of anything. Body of work.

Yes, at this point I want Fontaine in over Carter. If a RW gets hurt, then you call up Almond or Keranen. Those are three players who offer a lot more than Carter, without being Bickel, Veilleux, or a young guy.

I should have been more clear, but the Suter thing was directed at another guy that said something along the lines of "Suter never looked out of place". I was just using that as a point that every new guy on a team, no matter how skilled, has an adjustment period. Only very rarely have I seen a player come in to a team and be consistently effective, instantly. (Coincidentally, Parise was one of those exceptions)

I can understand wanting Fontaine in over Carter, as he's proven he can be effective, while still getting limited minutes, and doesn't have much more time for growth in his game, so has already reached pretty close to his ceiling. I do not want to put a young guy in that role, when he'd be better served rounding out his game in Iowa.

I would argue that Almond is a worse version of Carter (minor scoring ability, plays somewhat gritty) and Keranan certainly has more offensive ability than Carter, but wasn't exactly effective for the full 3 periods in any of the pre-season games. I think he just needs time to adjust to the NA game, which will probably come if he sticks around. In the meantime, better that he's an impact player for Iowa, than a defensive liability for Minnesota.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He played a total of 12 minutes and 50 seconds in the playoffs his first time around. Only one of those in the finals. Regular? Far from it. You know what? That's about as far from a regular as you can get. And I sure will discount that.

10 people on his team outscored him with the Devils. Had two game winners, though. That's definitely something. Carter showed a lot in those playoffs. Even with his misconduct in the deciding game.

Still, I don't want a fourth liner averaging a penalty a game, much less two penalties a game. There is a way to play fast and hard without having to take penalties. He needs to learn that. For how much of a seasoned 'regular' he's argued to be, you'd think he'd learn that by now.

That was Bernier :rant:

How has he been so far? Haven't heard much about him since he signed.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Not too bad at all. High energy, lots of assists, and not taking a ton of penalties after the first couple games. He's as advertised, a good checking 4th liner.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Good to hear.

He was always a fan favorite in New Jersey. I don't think anyone can forget how clutch he was in the playoff run, and he was always a reliable fourth liner. The Devils usually don't ice a competent fourth line, and he always gave them one. Basically every Devils fan was upset to see him go.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Guy has a motor that is always running too. Love the way he always moves his feet and tries to get in on the attack.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
His first few games were garbage as he took terrible penalties and was falling over or getting steam rolled constantly. He's got to be doing something right as he's getting points, although I barely notice him on the ice. I have still seen him get blown up a couple times recently as he just keeps his head down too much. I still think Brodziak's a better player but Carter might be the cheaper option longer term.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
He's the kind of guy you need on your team to give that little extra to win the cup. Same with Cooke.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Best 4th liner since that last Devil, Mr. John Madden. Hard to remember that guy being a Wild:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad