Rumor: Ryan Callahan nominated for Lady Byng

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Really? Cally for Byng?

I've seen him piss off far too many people to get it. But it's a nice mention though.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I hate that any Rangers player is ever nominated for that trophy.

disgusted by it actually.

Especially the teams captain.

Not what I would want from my teams captain.

sad really.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Lol what happened to the Cally who used to finish his check every single time. Getting nominated for Byng now? What else is Tortorella going to ruin?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

sad really.

You don't want your captain to exhibit sportsmanship?

Tomas Sandstrom 28

Aug 3, 2005
I don't understand the Lady Byng hate...
It's a sportsmanship award. Recognizing a player for being a good sport and a "class act". It's an honorable achievment.

Is it just the name?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The NHL is partly to blame.

IMO, this award should be given out to a gentlemanly player who also plays a tough game. Tough guys that don't always drop them or lay hits to hurt guys, responsible players who mix it up seem more deserving. When Gretz was winning it was like, yeah, he's not the most engaged forward out there, of course he's gonna be gentlemanly, too busy scoring in every way possible ;)

Give an award to the grunts besides the Selke which is really tied to offense just as much.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think Kyle Wellwood went something like 120 consecutive games without taking a minor penalty, and he never won it.

It's an odd award.

Ryan McDonut

Jan 18, 2009
New York
the selke is a popularity contest, no surprise stepan didnt get nominated. also i dont think cally had great sportsmanship this year so i dont get it

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011

sad really.

Lol what happened to the Cally who used to finish his check every single time. Getting nominated for Byng now? What else is Tortorella going to ruin?

:help:

The Lady Byng isn't for playing soft, it's for sportsmanship and "gentlemanly" play.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but sometimes it's just flat out wrong.

Kershaw

Not sure why Callahan was nominated. He hasn't been an honest hard working player like he was in the past. He has been embellishing more than ever this season.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Not sure why Callahan was nominated. He hasn't been an honest hard working player like he was in the past. He has been embellishing more than ever this season.

You're not entirely wrong. I feel like he was more likely to be nominated last season or the season before.

Then again, for the number of hits he has and the way he plays, he's only taken 6 penalties over the regular season. That may have played a part.

2 tripping, 1 holding, 1 hooking, 1 roughing (the Talbot fight that never happened), and one 2-min boarding call.

And that highlight of him blocking 3 or 4 shots in Winnipeg may have helped. I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad