Confirmed with Link: Ryan Bourque to Washington for F Chris Brown

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Someone said it already, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Bourque asked to be moved after Hrivik got the nod over him last week. It's nice that he got reunited with his brother, and I think he'll be able to find a spot on someone's 4th line next year.

Maybe management thinks they can develop Jensen into a more capable 4th liner than Bourque? I mean Bourque had a fantastic motor, but he is just so damn small.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This move really has no pros or cons to it.

Rangers weren't likely to bring up Bourque anyway, so this doesn't make a lick of difference for the Rangers, really.

Now, for the Wolf Pack...this does have some ramifications. We'll see.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Trade the Wolf Packs captain away, a leader on the team, for a player who is definitely not better than him and who has been a healthy scratch often. Yea makes sense.

AHL trade or not, this wasn't a good trade unless there was something behind the scenes with Bourque.

Are you sure Brown is "definitely" not better than Bourque? He has been in the past. At worst he'll provide similar offensive production, and is a bigger body with a more impactful physical element to his game. He's also under contract, whereas Bourque is a goner after this season.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Meh, this move is to accommodate Bourque, a guy that's never going to make the NYR anyway. Sometimes you make deals for the benefit of the guy playing for you and the other team owes you a little something.

Not a big deal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW in an emergency playoff situation I'd think Brown would be more valuable than Bourque. They're different players. Bourque is the better skater (though Brown isn't bad at all) with a non stop motor and a better rounded defensive game. Brown would be more adaptable to the 4th line bump and grind and in the playoffs IMO that would be where either of them would spot in. The production you could expect from either is pretty much equal. Brown does have 20+ games NHL experience.

.......and Bourque really wasn't going anywhere with this organization. He's 24 already and he wasn't on the horizon for next year. If he has any hope of becoming an NHL player he wasn't going to get it from the Rangers.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Are you sure Brown is "definitely" not better than Bourque? He has been in the past. At worst he'll provide similar offensive production, and is a bigger body with a more impactful physical element to his game. He's also under contract, whereas Bourque is a goner after this season.

Bouque brought that sparkplug attitude for the Pack...like a little Callahan (style of play)...I just find it hard to believe Brown will have the same impact that the Captain did for the team, especially if he had trouble even staying in the lineup of his old team. We shall see I guess, but I'm just a bit confused with this trade.

Signing Ahl players is pretty easy in the offseason so I can't see contract statues on the players had much to do with anything.

Not a huge deal, they both have no NHL careers anyway.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bourque ok to move, except more interest to Boston due to intangible about father a legend there.

Girardi + Bourque
for Jimmy Hayes
they want to cap dump Chara

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bouque brought that sparkplug attitude for the Pack...like a little Callahan (style of play)...I just find it hard to believe Brown will have the same impact that the Captain did for the team, especially if he had trouble even staying in the lineup of his old team. We shall see I guess, but I'm just a bit confused with this trade.

Signing Ahl players is pretty easy in the offseason so I can't see contract statues on the players had much to do with anything.

Not a huge deal, they both have no NHL careers anyway.

Hartford sucks and often play without anything resembling a spark. If Bourque's biggest asset was providing a spark, he wasn't doing a very good job sparking anyone else on the team. Despite the fact that the Pack is still technically in contention for a playoff spot, it's been a pretty dismal season. Bourque hasn't really stood out in any meaningful way. Like I said, it's a lateral move at worst.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
You want to look at Chris Brown's stats?

AHL stats aren't the best predictor of NHL success, particularly for an undersized player such as Bourque. There are plenty of guys who light up the minors that completely disappear against the world's best talent. I don't know a single thing about Brown, but it's completely feasible that he could be worse than Bourque in the A and better in the NHL.

Seems like Brown can fight at middleweight. That's not that important but it makes Tanner Glass' only tool expendable.

If we could have gotten a late round pick, that might have been better...but I want to see this guy play before I call this (small) trade a bad one.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Bourque was yet another guy we would have had to resign.

I don't know what to say it's a little embarrassing that on hockey's future people don't know hockey prospects, Chris Brown played with Carl Hagelin at Michigan. And played on the US National team with Ryan Bourque and Emerson Etem.

Brown was known for his size and physical play, drafted pretty high at the 09 draft.

I think it's a pretty good trade. Brown gives the Wolfpack more size and snarl and Bourque gets a chance to start over in another organization--which is a good thing for him, since it's clear he's not in the Rangers' plans going forward.

Wish Bourque much luck with his new team--he's always played hard for this organization. If he was just a little bigger he'd probably already be in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad