RW Yegor Chinakhov (2020, 21st, CBJ)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I have given you an example. Like stated earlier, everything is a mix and a big part of Puljujarvi not succeeding his first go around was a lack of integration into the locker room. A lot of these guys you say are lazy and entitled,

when I saw him "play" he didn't look nhl ready. Now does "Culture shock" have to do with it, I don't know, there could be some communication issues because he can't speak english, but I wouldn't consider not being able to speak the language "culture" shock.

Again I'm not suggesting Europeans wouldn't experience some sort of culture shock, I'm saying it shouldn't be the excuse if ANY player fails to make the NHL.

Yakupov, Filatov,

Yakupov just sucked, the same with Filatov. He wasn't fitted for the North American game.

Filatov actually said he wanted it to work out at the NHL level. It's too bad for him and Columbus it didn't work out at the NHL.

so I could give you another dozen guys who washed out due in part to cultural barriers to entry but you'll just stick your head in the sand because you're unwilling to entertain any evidence contrary to your opinion no matter how many articles I would pull out.

You actually didn't give me any examples that are supported by actual facts that these players failed because of "Culture barriers"

Yakupov just sucked, if he was elite or good enough to make the NHL, no culture barrier would have stopped him, the same with Filatov and Puljujarvi. Puljujarvi just wasn't ready when I saw him and I've said it numerous times in his thread that he should be in the AHL. Yakupov after his rookie season I noticed he played on on the perimeter only and seems to be afraid of playing deep. I doubt culture barrier had to do with any of this.

because you're unwilling to entertain any evidence contrary to your opinion no matter how many articles I would pull out.

you're going to get laughed at if you say to Canuck fans "Goldobin didn't make the Canucks because of culture shock." no they won't laugh at you, they will tell you to get the f*** out and talk actual hockey instead of making bogus claims without actual evidence to back up your shit.

you're going to get laughed at if you say to Oiler fans "Puljujarvi didn't make the OIlers because of culture shock." They probably will say "what the f*** is this, he didn't make it because he didn't want to play in the AHL to develop into an NHL player.

you didn't really provide any actual evidence that these players failed because of culture shock. You are assuming it had to do with culture shock, but not actual evidence.

To reiterate my point, culture shock is never the only reason, but it leads to and is symptomatic of other issues that can be exacerbated and causes issues later on. Those issues left unresolved end up leading a lot of players out of the NHL. I don't believe that kids are naturally predisposed to be NHLers or not based on natural talent alone, so when I'm tracking precedence and looking for the answers to why things happen a lot comes down to the development process one they get to North America, and kids who come from vastly different lifestyles or lack English language skills tend to struggle on the initial transition to NA pro leagues more than Joe Buck from Mississauga or David Akers from Boston.

I personally don't consider not being able to speak a language in another country to be a "culture shock"

lawrence

May 19, 2012
@lawrence

Something tells me you've never moved to a foreign country alone for an extended period, and been expected to carry on with your job as if it's business as usual.

from Canada and currently living in Indonesia my friend. Lived here since early 2017. Don't believe me? ask the mods to do a ip check on me. I know exactly what "culture shock" is.

I personally also don't consider not being able to speak the native language "culture shock."

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
from Canada and currently living in Indonesia my friend. Lived here since early 2017. Don't believe me? ask the mods to do a ip check on me.
I believe you, I'm just surprised that you would assert that making a massive life change like that should be a non-issue for everyone. Surely you've come across expats who lost their nerve, started underperforming at work and went home. I know I've seen a few unravel, including one suicide in China. Not saying it wouldn't have happened back home, but at least he would have had his support system.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I believe you, I'm just surprised that you would assert that making a massive life change like that should be a non-issue for everyone.

Never said it would be a "non issue" I'm just saying it shouldn't be an excuse for a Hockey player not making the NHL cause at sme point they would have adjusted to the life style of Canada. now I'm not sure what the line of work that person did in China that he had to kill himself.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
from Canada and currently living in Indonesia my friend. Lived here since early 2017. Don't believe me? ask the mods to do a ip check on me. I know exactly what "culture shock" is.

I personally also don't consider not being able to speak the native language "culture shock."

English is the language of business though, not Russian, Finnish or Swedish. Whatever country you go to, you can somewhat get it to work if you speak English. Any other non-native language, not so much.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Never said it would be a "non issue" I'm just saying it shouldn't be an excuse for a Hockey player not making the NHL cause at sme point they would have adjusted to the life style of Canada. now I'm not sure what the line of work that person did in China that he had to kill himself.

Well, most players that don't make it and go home aren't usually in NA long enough to get used to it. And if they're in NA for a few years and never adjust, maybe they just don't like it. I know I'd personally leave money on the table to be somewhere I'm happier.

I'm not sure exactly what made him do what he did. Might have been work related, might have been personal, maybe the change in his environment or isolation kicked up an underlying mental issue. Maybe his situation back home was rough, or maybe having his support system could have helped.

After all, simple covid "stay at home" measures are affecting some people aversely. Not everyone has the mental strength to undergo big changes, especially on their own. I don't see why hockey players would be different from anyone else. We just saw a handful of NHL players leave the bubble. That's playoff hockey, and they all had their own reasons for putting other things before the game.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
English is the language of business though, not Russian, Finnish or Swedish. Whatever country you go to, you can somewhat get it to work if you speak English. Any other non-native language, not so much.

Practice shows that even in Europe outside of the capital cities it is not exactly that way, not to mention Asian countries (ok, except India).

Anyway, in terms of hockey it isn't only about the language, but the communication itself, very often there are complaints from players, who have returned to Russia, like "I was told by the coach that I'm doing good, yet my icetime was getting less and less".

Reactions: bagsw

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
There are about 260 millions of people who speaks Russian, Russian language is the second after English by the number of websites. No doubt that knowledge of English can help in career or business, but it is not mandatory to know English in Russia.
If we talk about young hockey players, a lot of them hardly finish the school because they miss a lot of classes due to practices and tournaments. English teaching is pretty weak in common Russian school, most people who know English well attended extra classes. It is not hard to understand that young hockey players do not have a time for it.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Practice shows that even in Europe outside of the capital cities it is not exactly that way, not to mention Asian countries (ok, except India).

Anyway, in terms of hockey it isn't only about the language, but the communication itself, very often there are complaints from players, who have returned to Russia, like "I was told by the coach that I'm doing good, yet my icetime was getting less and less".
I am agree about communication. I am Russian that works in American corporation and I can say that Russian are much more straight and expect that "good" means good and "bad" means bad, while American people tend to call things better than they are in reality.

Reactions: Atas2000

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
There are about 260 millions of people who speaks Russian, Russian language is the second after English by the number of websites. No doubt that knowledge of English can help in career or business, but it is not mandatory to know English in Russia.
If we talk about young hockey players, a lot of them hardly finish the school because they miss a lot of classes due to practices and tournaments. English teaching is pretty weak in common Russian school, most people who know English well attended extra classes. It is not hard to understand that young hockey players do not have a time for it.

I was talking about working outside your own country. You have a lot more chance to find someone who understands English than Russian when you go to Spain for example.

My point was that it's much easier for an English speaker to work abroad than it is for speakers of another language unrelated to the other country.

Reactions: bagsw

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

You speak Indonesian there? How has it been learning it and communicating with it? Must be tough when you can't communicate with your own native tongue.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
How about Lawrence and those who wish to argue with Lawrence make a separate thread, considering this discussion isn't about Yegor Chinakhov? You can title it "Does culture shock actually cause prospects to fail?". Let's keep it out of this thread.
Yeah, especially as I must by now laugh at thinking of Chinakhov trying to read his thread(some of the guys do, it is known:)) and going "WTF?!? I am not even leaving Russia yet".

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Just based on couple highlights videos:

He is a 100% natural goal scorer (does not fluff shots, makes them look easy tap-ins). That shot will be over 12% shot (elite!) in NHL.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
what tournament is this?

Is this why khl has a small break in games?
Yes, it's the Karjala Cup, part of the Euro Hockey Tour played every year as a series of short tournaments of 3 round robin games at each stage. It kicks off with this one in Finnland and the last one is the Czech one in spring right before the World Championship.

Reactions: slumpy43

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Looks like Jarmo knew what he was doing with this pick. PLD v 2.0 at the draft. PLD is a stud and this guy looks like he's going to be another stud as well. Amazing value pick in late 1st on a pick that was out of left field.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad