RW Yegor Chinakhov (2020, 21st, CBJ)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who does that now?

I haven't taken a scientifc poll since the draft, but there was a lot of criticism a matter of a few months ago. Has it all changed? Maybe so, but I haven't seen enough one way or another to say so, which is why I'm accounting for that we don't know if the critics of the pick at the draft still view it as a bad pick. They can speak up and say if they've changed their mind.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I haven't taken a scientifc poll since the draft, but there was a lot of criticism a matter of a few months ago. Has it all changed? Maybe so, but I haven't seen enough one way or another to say so, which is why I'm accounting for that we don't know if the critics of the pick at the draft still view it as a bad pick. They can speak up and say if they've changed their mind.
Even if there are still some of those critics, if Chinahov has a productive playoff run they will be forced to shut it up. His regular season was pretty darn good for his age and he seems pretty much in the same great shape after the injury.

We can't play them untilt the eastern finals, so I can sincerely wish Chinakhov to light it up.:laugh:

Reactions: Son of Petter

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You can question the pick if you want, but he’s over .5PPG in his 19 year old KHL season. That’s really good. Not many historically have done that. At least in the KHL he’s producing very well for a player his age. There aren’t really many comparables producing like he was at his age that didn’t turn into average or better NHL’ers. Only Yakupov, Tolvanen and Filatov, and the problem with those guys wasn’t that they weren’t good prospects. That’s the contention with Chinakhov from some. Some claim he was worth nowhere near a first round pick this year. Production-wise, the pick absolutely looks acceptable for now.

Production wise and also the little things. You can gather from this video that Chinakhov has a high battle level and good awareness on both sides of the puck. Very strong at takeaways. He doesn't have special playmaking at this point, so who knows if he'll end up a high scorer, but I tend to think of him as a safe prospect. He can play a complete game and score some goals, maybe a lot of them.

Kev also wrote up a good report on him at Dobber, same view on Chinakhov.

Public scouts generally agree that he's better than they thought, but some of the bigwigs are stubbornly asserting that he's not 1st round quality. I believe there is an example here from Scott Wheeler. Wheeler was criticizing his play at the WJC, I'm wondering if he knew that Chinakhov was playing through a serious injury.

Even if there are still some of those critics, if Chinahov has a productive playoff run they will be forced to shut it up. His regular season was pretty darn good for his age and he seems pretty much in the same great shape after the injury.

We can't play them untilt the eastern finals, so I can sincerely wish Chinakhov to light it up.:laugh:

I want to see a Voronkov v Chinakhov battle. :D

Not a physical battle, of course, Voronkov would eat him. :laugh:

Reactions: slumpy43

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’m not doubting Columbus when they scout Russia. They’ll be able to run a full line of eventual NHL’ers between those three. Marchenko and Voronkov look like steals. I think Chinakhov is an off the radar pick that’ll probably work out.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
I think that he actually could be a very nice player on the jackets down the road, but the wait is the issue here. Unlike pod where it was two, this is three years. also he's playing in Osmk, which is much different than St.petersburg. I fully wanna see him in the NHL, he's got a ripper

Reactions: I3LI3

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think that he actually could be a very nice player on the jackets down the road, but the wait is the issue here. Unlike pod where it was two, this is three years. also he's playing in Osmk, which is much different than St.petersburg. I fully wanna see him in the NHL, he's got a ripper

He hasn't signed that Omsk contract, at least not yet. He could be signed by the Jackets in a matter of weeks for all we know.

Reactions: I3LI3

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He isn't NHL ready anyway, so a couple more seasons in the KHL under Canadian coach won't hurt him.

It wouldn't hurt him. I'd be fine with 1 season but he already looks like he might be close to NHL caliber. Strong forecheck and strong backcheck, certainly quick enough. Two seasons would be annoying for the Jackets, he could be well beyond ready in year 2.

To be clear I respect that if that's what he wants to do and Omsk has their rights too, it would just be unfortunate for the Jackets.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It wouldn't hurt him. I'd be fine with 1 season but he already looks like he might be close to NHL caliber. Strong forecheck and strong backcheck, certainly quick enough. Two seasons would be annoying for the Jackets, he could be well beyond ready in year 2.

To be clear I respect that if that's what he wants to do and Omsk has their rights too, it would just be unfortunate for the Jackets.

Look at Kaprizov, it's what I call NHL ready.

Chinakhov will probably never be as good as Kaprizov, but he still is a skillful player with top6 potential. He has to come and play important role. For this he first should learn to play important role in the KHL. Strong forecheck and backcheck means nothing. Every single NHL 4th liner is a strong forechecker and backchecker. That's not what you spend 1st round pick for.

Reactions: Tube Skates

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Look at Kaprizov, it's what I call NHL ready.

Chinakhov will probably never be as good as Kaprizov, but he still is a skillful player with top6 potential. He has to come and play important role. For this he first should learn to play important role in the KHL. Strong forecheck and backcheck means nothing. Every single NHL 4th liner is a strong forechecker and backchecker. That's not what you spend 1st round pick for.

If Kaprizov is the bar for NHL ready then there are 600 guys in the NHL that are not NHL ready. :laugh:

I think another year in the KHL might be good for Chinakhov, it's the 2 or 3 year contracts that are the annoying part. For all we know he could be beyond ready in 2022. It should be handled one year at a time.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If Kaprizov is the bar for NHL ready then there are 600 guys in the NHL that are not NHL ready. :laugh:

I think another year in the KHL might be good for Chinakhov, it's the 2 or 3 year contracts that are the annoying part. For all we know he could be beyond ready in 2022. It should be handled one year at a time.

Nah, wrong logic, NHL is still full of roles. Like superstar, 1st line player, top6, bottom6 etc. Kaprizov was supposed to be a franchize player for Wild, and he came to the league exactly when he was ready for the role.

So I think, Chinakhov should move to NA only when he's ready for the top6 winger role.

Reactions: Jovavic

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
I really like this kids game also. Perhaps drafting from russia may lose its stigma overtime, and teams do reaches like this

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

NHL teams often make very short-sighted decisions. They want all their players always at their disposal because they think they always make the best decisions. Take a look at what's happened to Kravtsov's career and what is about to happen with Podkolzin's career. You'd much rather they be like Kaprizov or Marchenko.

Take the control out of the NHL team's hands. The best thing that can happen for a team drafting a young Russian prospect who is not ready to play when drafted is a long KHL contract for 2-4 years where they can develop their game in the KHL, and be ready to step into the lineup and be a productive player instead of coming over too early. Going to the AHL, playing on the NHL fourth line for 10 minutes a game, being scratched half the games, going back and forth between the NHL and AHL. Thats not what you want.

And while I think an NHL team making these decisions on whether they play a full top 9 role in the NHL or KHL is the best-case scenario, thats not realistic. If Chinakhov needs another two years to break into the Jackets top 9 on a consistent basis, it's not as if they can just loan him to Omsk for another two years. Omsk isn't going to want to be tasked with developing someone else's player on a yearly basis without any long-term stake they can look to. Thats why its either long term KHL contract, NHL ready, or maybe in some circumstances a one-year loan. Given that I think Chinakhov is a lot closer to 2-3 years away than being ready 2021-22 season or 2022-23 season at latest, I think a long-term KHL contract is best for him, as long as it's not 5-6 years. Another 2-3 years for Chinakhov wouldn't be bad.

Reactions: G Backup and BMann

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
[QUOTE="Pavel Take a look at what's happened to Kravtsov's career and what is about to happen with Podkolzin's career. [/QUOTE]

Feel like I'm missing something what happened?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So, Podkolzin disappointed even before coming over too early (or not)?

If you are struggling to establish yourself as a top six player in the KHL, I don't think the answer is to run to North America because you can sign a contract there. The likely end-result is very predictable.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
If you are struggling to establish yourself as a top six player in the KHL, I don't think the answer is to run to North America because you can sign a contract there. The likely end-result is very predictable.

Injuries aside, is Chinakhov struggling to establish himself as a top 6 winger?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Top 10 picks that have been probably the two most disappointing top 10 picks in their drafts so far.
Well, Kravtsov might be a bit early to judge but you may have a point there (and even then, points aren't everything, look at Tolvanen). Podkolzin, on the other hand, what? He is still 19 and he 6 points in 10 games in KHL playoffs. Talking about a ruined career is laughable.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Injuries aside, is Chinakhov struggling to establish himself as a top 6 winger?

Including all forwards who've played 15 or more games for Omsk, he's 8th in PPG, 10th in TOI. You could even debate whether he's top 9 right now for his team. Certainly not top 6. I have no complaints with his season. He's also on a good team, but now not the time to leave. He's not stepping right into the NHL without being on the fourth line, scratched, 10 minutes per game, being cycled back and forth between NHL and AHL.

Reactions: koteka and Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad