RW Vitaly Kravtsov (2018, 9th, NYR; traded to VAN) Part2

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Rykov played for Zubov last season.

Buchnevich also played for Zubov years ago, but I think you must be referring to Rykov because Buchnevich was given a very small role under Zubov.

Sorry, should have clarified. I meant Kravtsov. Given his obvious signs of maturity and understanding the mental aspects of the game. At higher levels, staff that are in tune with those skills themselves are more apt to give of their time and knowledge when they recognize a kid with potential they feel will put that to good use. It's a natural "living through them/legacy response" for people.

Just curious if Kravtsov was a Zubov or Nemchinov product. I'm weird like that. Backtracking peoples influences to how they got where they are both societal and personal. It's just part of the equation. I forgot which one was involved with SKA.

Side note, IIRC Nemchinov was rumored to have gotten into Pashnin's head and at the time Sarge had an axe to grind with NYR so speculation was that was why Pashnin didn't take coming here seriously.

I have all these little pieces in my head and trying to get a clearer big picture perspective.

Water under the bridge though..All our young men are here who need to be. Gorton/Clark/Drury...Davidson, are doing a good job facilitating diplomacy and desire on this very multi-cultural locker room.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sorry, should have clarified. I meant Kravtsov. Given his obvious signs of maturity and understanding the mental aspects of the game. At higher levels, staff that are in tune with those skills themselves are more apt to give of their time and knowledge when they recognize a kid with potential they feel will put that to good use. It's a natural "living through them/legacy response" for people.

Just curious if Kravtsov was a Zubov or Nemchinov product. I'm weird like that. Backtracking peoples influences to how they got where they are both societal and personal. It's just part of the equation. I forgot which one was involved with SKA.

Side note, IIRC Nemchinov was rumored to have gotten into Pashnin's head and at the time Sarge had an axe to grind with NYR so speculation was that was why Pashnin didn't take coming here seriously.

I have all these little pieces in my head and trying to get a clearer big picture perspective.

Water under the bridge though..All our young men are here who need to be. Gorton/Clark/Drury...Davidson, are doing a good job facilitating diplomacy and desire on this very multi-cultural locker room.

He hasn’t played under either, from the best of my knowledge.

Reactions: White Death 24

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Who's game does Vitaly Kravtsov resembles the most in terms of previous or current NHL players?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Kravtsov comes from a wealthy family with a lot of ties and he grew up without any real problems. His dad was an officer in the Soviet army (which is why he could not attend the NHL draft because his visa application was denied), his sister is a lawyer living in Toronto now.

Kravtsov, after moving to live with his grandmother in Chelyabinsk with his mother while his dad stayed behind in Vladivostok, focused on hockey and while playing for the KHL team, he was always very close with some of the NA player Stoa and Bailen, later in the season Thomas as well. He played under former NHL player German Titov who helped him a lot during his rookie season.

Altogether, it's a combination of things, but Kravtsov's desire to play in North America motivated him to adjust early. His background, the family he grew up in, helped in developing a more global mindset at a young age unlike other kids.

In case anyone is interested in a source: Vitali's sister and father told me most of this last December when I ran into them at Starbucks in Vancouver. We sat down and talked for over 30 minutes

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Cheering so hard for this kid to be a star. One of my favorite players I've followed during a draft. Watched almost all of his KHL playoff games.

Kravtsov comes from a wealthy family with a lot of ties and he grew up without any real problems. His dad was an officer in the Soviet army (which is why he could not attend the NHL draft because his visa application was denied), his sister is a lawyer living in Toronto now.

Kravtsov, after moving to live with his grandmother in Chelyabinsk with his mother while his dad stayed behind in Vladivostok, focused on hockey and while playing for the KHL team, he was always very close with some of the NA player Stoa and Bailen, later in the season Thomas as well. He played under former NHL player German Titov who helped him a lot during his rookie season.

Altogether, it's a combination of things, but Kravtsov's desire to play in North America motivated him to adjust early. His background, the family he grew up in, helped in developing a more global mindset at a young age unlike other kids.

In case anyone is interested in a source: Vitali's sister and father told me most of this last December when I ran into them at Starbucks in Vancouver. We sat down and talked for over 30 minutes

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Great background intel there. Thanks for sharing that it was a good read.

Helps explain obviously why his English is quite good at this age.

Rangers will be fun to watch, definitely getting Centre Ice this year after debating whether or not to get it again. The Rangers and Avalanche are a big reason why.

FromRussiaWithLove

Jul 9, 2019
Saint Petersburg
Can't wait to see what he brings to the NHL. I could see him having an immediate impact with many points in NYR's top 6 forwards if he starts strongly.

Informative, thanks.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
How is he faring so far? Is he completely overshadowed by Kakko's play? For a prospect that highly rated, he sure isn't talked about.

Reactions: mm11

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is he faring so far? Is he completely overshadowed by Kakko's play? For a prospect that highly rated, he sure isn't talked about.

He isn’t talked about as much because we have a lot of very good prospects. Kakko’s going to be talked about the most because he’s the #2 overall pick.

I don’t like making much of the prospect tournament because the majority of those players will never even play in the NHL and it’s the first hockey of the season for these players, but he was good after a slow start. He looked like one of the more talented players at that tournament.

He played in the first preseason game and didn’t have his best game. I’m not convinced he’s NHL ready, and with how the roster is situated, I don’t see the room for him in a top 9 role. This is why I would’ve preferred another season in the KHL for him. The AHL is not a place where you want Russian forwards to be developing.

But it’s certainly possible he makes the team and he also started the prospects tournament slow. I wouldn’t expect big things from him this season, if he makes the NHL team. That’s probably a year or two off. The kid was only recently drafted.

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
He played well in Traverse City prospect tournament and showed some skill in last nights pre-season opener against the Devils. He's still a work in progress though and some time in the AHL might do him good. Any other year and Kravtsov would definately be talked more and get more PR time. But with Kakko, Panarin and even Fox taking their share Kravtsov is somewhat overshadowed, despite being the second most skilled prospect the Rangers have had in years. Maybe that's a good thing.

Reactions: Raistlin1022

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Do NYR fans have hopes of him playing center down the line or is he viewed as more of a pure winger? I was impressed with him playing the middle back at WJC

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Do NYR fans have hopes of him playing center down the line or is he viewed as more of a pure winger? I was impressed with him playing the middle back at WJC

I think he should play C, I loved him as a C back when he was 14, but I really doubt they make the move. Teams are less and less willing to make that change, but I actually feel like he'd do very well and be like a Domi making the move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad