RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I think there are going to be quite a few GMs kicking themselves for not taking this kid. I smell a 30 goal rookie season.

SchennSational1022*

I think Nurse is one of the most low ceiling top 10 picks Ive seen these past 2-3 years. He looks like Braydon Coburn v2

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Why would I have to justify it, we have Yakupov. Nish is Yakupov lite.
He's not Yakupov anything. Completely different players. Yakupov should be the better player, being a former #1, but Nuke will be able to do things, now and especially once he fills out that midget Yakupov couldn't dream of doing. Because they are different players.

Ideally I think most teams would like pairing a wing like Yakupov with an opposite wing like Nuke.

As for this season, it looks like Nuke will not be a top 6 guy. He's likely to be a 3rd liner. I still think his talent dictates he gets around 20 goals, as he will likely get PP time. But I also don't think he plays much more than 60-65 games, because even though he has experience in a men's league, he's never played so many games in a season before. You could see the grind of so many games in pre season wear on him.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I think Nurse is one of the most low ceiling top 10 picks Ive seen these past 2-3 years. He looks like Braydon Coburn v2

What makes you think that? He was a rock defensively and had shown great offensive ability (something that's non-existent in Coburn's game) in the pre-season.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
What makes you think that? He was a rock defensively and had shown great offensive ability (something that's non-existent in Coburn's game) in the pre-season.

Coburn is a great comparison. I didnt see any great offensive ability by Nurse, but of course he had time to develop it.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
Coburn is a great comparison. I didnt see any great offensive ability by Nurse, but of course he had time to develop it.

Excellent mobility and skating, excellent puck moving ability and a good shot. He will do fine offensively. His biggest attribute is his ability to skate/move the puck along with his size and toughness.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

top pairing, puck moving, big, mobile, mean, hard hitting, excellent skating 6'5 uber athlete dman. ya low ceiling lol :laugh:

In my opinion...

Dmen with "higher" potential than Nurse from the last 3 years:

Seth Jones
Ryan Murray
Jacob Trouba
Morgan Reilly
Adam Larsson
Jonas Brodin
Dougie Hamilton

All potential to be better

As far as I am concerned there are plenty of other top-10 dmen picks from the last three drafts that do not have as high of potential as Nurse...

Griffen Reinhart
Hampus Lindholm
Slater Koekkoek
Derrick Pouliot
Rasmus Ristolainen

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Not sure why people have to take sides here, Nichushkin has the potential and skill set to be a great player in the NHL. Sure, there will be growing pains as he adjusts to this league but I think it's safe to say that the Stars took the best player available with the 10th pick and it seems like a steal at the moment.

Yup, Dallas won this draft imo. Absolute steal and stud of a player. That's certainly not to knock mediocre talents such as Horvat or Nurse, but this kid is something special.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
It's eerie reading threads about Mikhail Grigorenko post-draft in 2012 and Nichushkin post-draft in 2013.

Let's wait until they've played a year (or five) before classifying them as elite or perrenial 30-goal scorers.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Hey, he skated around Matt Hunwick in a pre-season game, he must be good. :sarcasm:

At the very least he didn't get stopped by Hunwick. That would have been discouraging.

The lengths people go to spin a goal into a bad thing is unreal. But no, it's just pre-season. Well no ****, the regular season hasn't started yet. He legally has not been allowed to play an NHL regular season game up until this point in his life. As obvious as this is, it's amazing that it's still somehow getting lost on people.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Waffles >> Pancakes AINEC

Just search it on google, all these people is going to regret choosing pancakes when they realize how delicious Waffles are.
That's only because you haven't tried crumpets. crumpets >> waffles

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I think there are going to be quite a few GMs kicking themselves for not taking this kid. I smell a 30 goal rookie season.

Little bit steep if that happens in todays nhl or even 25g season I will come on here and admit my team and every other screwed up big time if that happens. Even hall and tavares did not reach 25g in the rookie year.

If he plays with jamie benn and seguin i suppose its possible But i dont recall he has in pre season. Thats a lofty goal amount to predict though.

If he scores 20 goals without seguin, benn... that would be even more impressive on its own.

Last edited:

Primetimey*

It's eerie reading threads about Mikhail Grigorenko post-draft in 2012 and Nichushkin post-draft in 2013.

Let's wait until they've played a year (or five) before classifying them as elite or perrenial 30-goal scorers.

Lets do the same for Trouba then.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
At the very least he didn't get stopped by Hunwick. That would have been discouraging.

The lengths people go to spin a goal into a bad thing is unreal. But no, it's just pre-season. Well no ****, the regular season hasn't started yet. He legally has not been allowed to play an NHL regular season game up until this point in his life. As obvious as this is, it's amazing that it's still somehow getting lost on people.

Yeah, every good thing he's done people want to attach a * to or say "yeah well he's not good at ___." By those standards nothing any rookie does in pre-season should be allowed to mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad