RW Tage Thompson - UConn, NCAA (2016, 26th, STL)

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Why DraftBuzz thought Thompson would 'jolt' his draft stock back in October as posted to our Prospect Insider:

In 4GP this year, he has been attached to centerman Letunov's hip and looks to be in a prime position to 'overperform' offensively in a sense and really jolt his prospect status. He already has 4A for PPG, and has shown flashes of high end stickhandling. One of his recent assists came off of a lost play in the slot after he deked the pants off an opponent. Letunov swooped in thereafter and scored on his backhand. He doesn't look like a first year player, handling the pace and physicality well thanks to his USDP upbringing.

Full story: NCAA Accelerated Track: UCONN's Tage Thompson

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Lots of Blues fans seem to be upset with this pick but the more I read about his size and his game, the more I like this pick.

He needs to work on his skating but that isn't a shock given his size.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lots of Blues fans seem to be upset with this pick but the more I read about his size and his game, the more I like this pick.

He needs to work on his skating but that isn't a shock given his size.

The positive spin on Tage is he grown about 4 inches in a matter of a year so their is bound to be some growing pains

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Any update on how Tage is doing so far?

The Blues board seems to be liking him more than we did initially (I myself being one of those detractors) but I'm curious to hear the insight from some non-Blues fans.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Would like to know how he's faring at ES. As was noted, he relied heavily on his PP production last year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Would like to know how he's faring at ES. As was noted, he relied heavily on his PP production last year.
From this site, it appears he only has 1 power play point so far. I didn't want him at all entering last years draft (when he may of been available at 30 or 31 prior to the Andersen trade), but I have a feeling I might be eating me words. He really impressed me at the WJC camp and he seems to be productive at ES so far this year. Waiting to see what he does in conference play before I'm fully sold. While it is good to see him producing, beating up Alabama Huntsville for a 4 point game, then going pointless against the best team they play in non-conference (Quinnipac) hasn't alleviated my concerns yet.

http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/teamstats/conm

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Has anybody been able to watch much of Tage this season?

Through 13 games played he's got the below numbers which look pretty solid.
Total 7-8-15
PP 4-5-9

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/statistics/1617/oaplayers.php

The concerning part is that he's not on the conference scoring leaderboard so most of his points are coming in non conference games.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/statistics/1617/coplayers.php

He's producing pretty average. Kinda what you expect out of a 1st round pick

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
This morning John Buccigross tweeted out that he thinks Thompson could be ready for the Blues as soon as next season. That caught me off guard. Anyone else watch him enough that shares his belief?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Next to Keller, and MAYBE Kunin, Thompson was the best on the ice last night. His offensive skill is pretty plain to see. With his reach he is able to do some pretty extraordinary things with the puck. Don't know that he is a defensive demon, which won't play well with Hitchkok and Yeo.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Tage Thompson. People with a name like that in Sweden would look something like this:

foto-wtf-moda-hipster-metro.jpg

His name aside, he really stood out yesterday.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This morning John Buccigross tweeted out that he thinks Thompson could be ready for the Blues as soon as next season. That caught me off guard. Anyone else watch him enough that shares his belief?

I don't see it honestly. Obviously he's got the big shot and poise on the PP but I really am not a fan of his compete level and he's got a ways to go on his skating, both of which impact his ability to be an impact player at ES. Of his 20 points this year, 10 are on the power play. The Blues already have a booming RH shot on the PP (Parayko).

I'd give him at least another year to get a bit quicker. He's a late birthday though so I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave UCONN and join the AHL next year, where he could get a nice signing bonus and maybe a cup of coffee in the bugs. I'd expect his true rookie season to be 2018-19, where he'll play the wing (probably RW). He's the type of guy who excels with time and space but seems to disappear when the pace picks up and defenders key in, so that's something he'll have to adjust to. He's a bit like Colborne in that way, though Thompson obviously has the much better shot.

The one thing that could happen to expedite that transition to the NHL would be Thompson's group threatening to go loophole if he's not given an NHL spot sooner rather than later, but I don't see that happening.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Next to Keller, and MAYBE Kunin, Thompson was the best on the ice last night. His offensive skill is pretty plain to see. With his reach he is able to do some pretty extraordinary things with the puck. Don't know that he is a defensive demon, which won't play well with Hitchkok and Yeo.

Thought Fox, Harper, and Greenway had the best games last night. The Keller line started to get it going later in the game but were pretty bad in the first 2 periods, trying to be a bit too fancy.

His skill level is elite though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thought Fox, Harper, and Greenway had the best games last night. The Keller line started to get it going later in the game but were pretty bad in the first 2 periods, trying to be a bit too fancy.

His skill level is elite though.

I was talking about skill level. Keller and Thompson were cut above everyone else, though I saw some interesting things from Bracco, Roslovic, and...tip of my tongue...oh well.

Kunin is something else. Announcers were raving about him, and he is my team's pick, so I'm biased, but he has a completely different game than Keller and Thompson. Not flashy, nor exciting, more economical. Might have a game that transfers to the NHL a bit better.

Sheriff66

Mar 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thought Thompson was the best players for the US yesterday, love his game a lot, looking forward to seeing more of him

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We'll see how well the skill game holds up against better competition.

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
He's effing good.

I know he's come a long way since last year. If this upcoming year were his draft year, where do you (anyone who has watched him play this WJC) think he would be drafted? Hypotehtically speaking...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad