RW Tage Thompson - UConn, NCAA (2016, 26th, STL)

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
Little update on him. Now playing with University of Connecticut and got 3 assists in two games. I think he could be a first rounder this year.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I don't know anything about him, but apparently he's grown 3 inches and gained 24 lbs since you started this thread. He's now listed as 6'5 and 185lbs.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Thompson's the head coach of the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, the Islanders AHL affiliate. He could be on their radar.

He's going to be on everybody's radar. Big kid with good hands, and he's playing ncaa hockey a year early for a new program and so far putting up numbers. Potential 1st rounder.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's going to be on everybody's radar. Big kid with good hands, and he's playing ncaa hockey a year early for a new program and so far putting up numbers. Potential 1st rounder.

Well obviously. All I meant is that the organizational connection will most likely give the Isles an advanTage over other prospects they're scouting.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
His skillset looks fantastic in this video. Nice hands around the net and a great one timer. With a 6'5" frame and an AHL head coach for a father I could see him rising in this years draft.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This kid is destined to be drafted by the Islanders. The one thing missing in the forward group is a big RW with a RH shot. On the Isles board, someone mentioned that he's kind of like a RH Brock Nelson. I'd take that and run.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Interesting.. we will see how the battle of the big men shakes out between Thompson, Brown and Tufte.. 3 big dudes with skill

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I legitimately think he'll be a steal if he's drafted anywhere outside the top-20, not many players put up numbers like that in the NCAA during their draft year. Especially considering his size, skating, fundamentals, etc.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I legitimately think he'll be a steal if he's drafted anywhere outside the top-20, not many players put up numbers like that in the NCAA during their draft year. Especially considering his size, skating, fundamentals, etc.

To be fair, he's old for his draft year and he's getting primo offensive minutes on a team that is pretty weak otherwise, but you still gotta produce and he has. I really really like him. You don't get that kinda hands on someone with his size often.

Dec 13, 2010
played PAL Junior Islanders before going off to the NTDP so he's been on the Long Island radar for a while

Kid is good. He had immense skill when he was younger and wasn't so much bigger than everyone else and he's still adjusting to his new body

He has a younger brother Tyce that's really good too. Plays at Salisbury and committed to Providence. '17 draft

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
32 pts in 36 gp, those are strong numbers for a freshman yet people dont talk about this kid. Can someone who watches Uconn tell us about his game?

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
32 pts in 36 gp, those are strong numbers for a freshman yet people dont talk about this kid. Can someone who watches Uconn tell us about his game?

UConn ST holder. I've personally described him as similar to someone like Jimmy Hayes, in that he's got size but is not a big hitter, and has good hands. He has the skills to stickhandle through/around D, just not consistently. His skating does need work, but he's not slow by any means. Great shot. I know someone mentioned his PP stats, basically UConn was a 1 line team this year so 5 on 5 if you match your best D pair up against him and Letunov, you stop us. If Tage had been on a team like BU or BC and gotten top 6 minutes I think his 5 on 5 stats go up. Also by about January the UConn PP was basically setting up Tage for half wall one timers or trying to sneak him in backdoor. It was all we could do to score!

I hope this helps, I'm not a scout or anything like that. Although my seats in Hartford we're right below all the NHL scouts, and there were at least 5-6 at every game I went to. I saw San Jose, St. Louis and Washington for sure (they were wearing team jackets so it's not a big secret I guess) although I'm sure for Hockey East they're at a lot of games anyways.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder if the Islanders will take a chance on this guy. We definitely can use a little size and his dad is our AHL coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad