RW Patrik Laine - Tappara, Liiga (2016 Draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Might be. But one look at Sabres prospect pool reveals plenty of talent on Center. If they'd pick Matthews there would be Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons.. And O'reilly clearly will be top 6 Center for years to come. What they do lack is a high end scoring winger prospect. Drafting another Center would just push the problem to the future. Like when Preds drafted Jones into their solid d-pool and now finally they patched the hole with trade. If any team with a chance to pick n.1 it is Buffalo who could seriously concider for example Laine over another GREAT Center prospect. Somehow this reminds of the situation of Jones draft

Buffalo would trade down.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Might be. But one look at Sabres prospect pool reveals plenty of talent on Center. If they'd pick Matthews there would be Eichel, Reinhart, Girgensons.. And O'reilly clearly will be top 6 Center for years to come. What they do lack is a high end scoring winger prospect. Drafting another Center would just push the problem to the future. Like when Preds drafted Jones into their solid d-pool and now finally they patched the hole with trade. If any team with a chance to pick n.1 it is Buffalo who could seriously concider for example Laine over another GREAT Center prospect. Somehow this reminds of the situation of Jones draft

O'Reilly has played a far amount of wing in his career. Girgensons has played almost all wing this year (Larsson is the 3rd line center). Reinhart is playing wing this year as well. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that they simply move someone to wing and leave them there. Take BPA, not for need.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
Buffalo would trade down.

That depends. Do they want Laine or Puljujärvi as their next winger prospect? I don't think anyone will trade 2nd OA + for 1st OA, so if they trade down to 3rd or lower it means they'll pass on Laine (supposing he's going 2nd OA next summer).

This of course supposes that they are not picking Matthews for whatever reason.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015
Don't you think that a great playoffs or even getting to the WHC and succeeding there couldn't change the outcome? Of course if Matthews does at least either of these, he will be sure number one in my opinion. But if he doesn't impress in either way and Laine does at least one of these, I could still see a chance for an upset. In my opinion that would mean that Laine would then have an even more impressive record for this season. Of course all this is a very big if, and will not most likely happen. But on the other hand I don't see it totally impossible either.
If this happens and a team loaded with good, young centres like Edmonton picks first I could absolutely see Laine going first

Edit: even buffalo I could see probably taking Laine over Matthews I don't think the talent difference is massive and there are situations where picking for need is not really a bad option like close to the end of a rebuild

Last edited:

SingleAallStar

Nov 26, 2014
The one thing I really liked in Laine's interview was when he said if he has another summer like his last one... its subtle... but it really showed he realizes how much he improved in one summer and if he can do it again and even improve his skating more he will be an absolute force in the NHL.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
The one thing I really liked in Laine's interview was when he said if he has another summer like his last one... its subtle... but it really showed he realizes how much he improved in one summer and if he can do it again and even improve his skating more he will be an absolute force in the NHL.

Can't remember which scout it was who said Laine could be the best player from this draft class in the next five years, but yeah he's one summer behind Matthews. Can only imagine what he could do next year having another healthy summer behind him without injuries. He already took giant strides in the last off season. If Laine can pull another one of those he's going to be a monster next year already and probably NHL ready. It's going to be a thrill to watch his early career and follow that developement year to year or month to month. We won't see another winger prospect like him for a long time.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If this happens and a team loaded with good, young centres like Edmonton picks first I could absolutely see Laine going first

Edit: even buffalo I could see probably taking Laine over Matthews I don't think the talent difference is massive and there are situations where picking for need is not really a bad option like close to the end of a rebuild

How about Arizona or Toronto.
Both have 1st line's center ( Dylan Strome in Arizona and William Nylander in Toronto) already

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Both have 1st line's center ( Dylan Strome in Arizona and William Nylander in Toronto) already
Think a little. Having one elite center doesn't mean there isn't room for another. Especially if you have just one of them, since this is a sport where injuries are frequent.

Overall, the depth down the middle in both of those teams is mediocre to poor. The reason people say Edmonton and Buffalo might pass on Matthews is that they've really got an excess of young options that can play C (Draisatl, McDavid, RNH, Hall for the Oil, and O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart and Girgesons for the Sabres). They don't really need another so they might go for a proven finisher instead.

But really, simply having Strome and Willie doesn't mean Matthews doesn't appear an enticing addition for both the Yotes' and Leafs' lineups.

Last edited:

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Think a little. Having one elite center doesn't mean there isn't room for another. Especially if you have just one of them, since this is a sport where injuries are frequent.

Overall, the depth down the middle in both of those teams is mediocre to poor. The reason people say Edmonton and Buffalo might pass on Matthews since they've really got an excess of young options that can play C (Draisatl, McDavid, RNH, Hall for the Oil, and O'Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart and Girgesons for the Sabres). They don't really need another so they might go for a proven finisher instead.

But really, simply having Strome and Willie doesn't mean Matthews doesn't appear an enticing addition for both the Yotes' and Leafs' lineups.
Especially when you consider Matthews is Arizona-born.

Lainehasaweirdface

May 14, 2015

Arizona possibly but they also have some nice wing pieces for the future and as a leafs fan and Nylander Homer I'd take Matthews have Nylander as 2c and trade kadri+ for a top line winger but I can't say I'd have a good sleep as the Gm of the bottom team the night before the draft this year

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
So Edmonton Oilers.. Craig MacTavish and scout James McGregor came to Finland to watch Laine in Blues-Tappara game and like we all know he is with the mens natonal team. They didn't know that he won't play. They will go next to watch U18 tournament in Rauma and Friday to Vaasa watch Puljujärvi.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/2016021021099628_nh.shtml

Off to Rauma to watch the next years potential top 5 players :laugh:
Oh edmonton :(

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
So Edmonton Oilers.. Craig MacTavish and scout James McGregor came to Finland to watch Laine in Blues-Tappara game and like we all know he is with the mens natonal team. They didn't know that he won't play. They will go next to watch U18 tournament in Rauma and Friday to Vaasa watch Puljujärvi.

"We came to the game and noticed that Laine isn't playing."

Quite incredible. No one to call and ask before flying over Atlantic Ocean?

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
http://yle.fi/urheilu/lahikuvassa_l..._laine_-_tasta_voi_tulla_jotain_hyvaa/8665553

Here's a nice interview from Laine. More of a close-up interview with relaxed atmosphere where they chat almost about everything.

Gotta say, the guy seems really mature for his age. No signs of cockiness when he's talking about himself. He even mentioned when he first visited the psychologist/mental trainer about his attitude problems, he felt forced to be there (who wouldn't as a 16 years old kid?) but aknowledges now how it helped him when he was able talk about things.

Quick summary:

One of the reasons he has such a deadly shot now is he used to compete with his dad in shooting races in the backyard.

Interviewer described Laine's last summer as a turning point in his career when he took a big leap in development. When asked about the reasons for such a strong summer, Laine said the biggest reason was he was able to have a summer without injuries. Apparently it wasn't just the last summer but he has had problems with injuries in previous summers too. The training was also more focused about the quality of it rather than quantity with bigger weights.

He knew ever since the first U20 Lake Placid training camp that this season could be "the season" for him. He felt lighter with skates and he saw he can compete better than earlier.

Biggest surprises for him in the WJC 2016 was his points and how great his line was production wise. He always knew the team could win it so it didn't come as surprise for him.

Laine has been enjoying the last couple days with men's national team which is preparing to play against Sweden twice in a few days. Older guys has made it easy for him to settle there.

Laine doesn't think about attending the U18 and World Championships. Right now his main focus is to help his team to make it to the finals which would also mean a no-go for the U18 at least.

Finally Laine mentions he isn't trying to play to score big points in these 2 games but rather tries to get as much experience from there as he can.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Im guessing Chiarelli knew this, he just wanted to ship off Mac T to a random land to get him away from canada

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Which number is Laine playing with?

Nvm he is pretty easy to find :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad