RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
How lite? Because Ovi is a freight train that hits everyone he sees (at least he used to) and battles for every loose puck. That’s the opposite of what Wahlstrom does. He’s more like a bigger Cammalleri.
Yeah ok Wahlstrom isn't as physical as Ovechkin, that's for sure, but this narrative that he plays like a p***y is completely unfounded. He's a big kid (he has 4 inches and 25 pounds on Cammalleri) and uses his size a decent amount.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah ok Wahlstrom isn't as physical as Ovechkin, that's for sure, but this narrative that he plays like a p***y is completely unfounded. He's a big kid (he has 4 inches and 25 pounds on Cammalleri) and uses his size a decent amount.

I didn’t say he was a wimp, but he definitely doesn’t go out of his way to fight for loose pucks. If the puck is in a 3 foot radius, he’ll go for it. Otherwise, he’s content to float around.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
I didn’t say he was a wimp, but he definitely doesn’t go out of his way to fight for loose pucks. If the puck is in a 3 foot radius, he’ll go for it. Otherwise, he’s content to float around.

I disagree with that. Sure, he doesn't play a grinder's game. He won't go for a puck if he thinks it won't help but otherwise he will fight for the puck if he thinks he has a chance to get to it and make a play.

Some see this as floating but I actually agree with a scouting service that said "At times looks like he’s not involved, but he’s always reading play, ready to strike like a cobra."

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
No he didn't, young Ovechkin was a freight train, he´d run anyone over. Was an elite skater, that scored a lot of the rush.

Man, the way he used to tear up the ice was terrifying. Nice to see a small bit of that in Barzal now.

Reactions: Askel

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
No he didn't, young Ovechkin was a freight train, he´d run anyone over. Was an elite skater, that scored a lot of the rush.

Yeah no doubt. He was a bull in a china shop. But he was a lazy back-checker and mess in his own zone. It wasn’t till Trotz went to Washington that Ovechkin embraced a full 200 foot game.

I’m curious “3-foot radius” thing comes from @le_sean ?

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Yeah no doubt. He was a bull in a china shop. But he was a lazy back-checker and mess in his own zone. It wasn’t till Trotz went to Washington that Ovechkin embraced a full 200 foot game.

Absolutly Ovechkin has been cheating defense to create offense in almost all of his career. Wahlström is a very good prospect but he plays nothing like young Ovechkin who was powerforward.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

From watching him. Imagine that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oh cool thank you! :thumbu:

Really looking forward to Walhstrom's development. Hopefully he can expand to a 6-foot radius and be twice the player he is now.

I never said he was going to be a bad player. What I said was comparing him to Ovechkin is absolutely asinine because they play the game completely differently.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I was trying to take a look at when he was 9 - 10 years old to see what kind of hands he had at the time but it's just boring and pointless trick shots that I can find. Is there any proper footage from that time?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I was trying to take a look at when he was 9 - 10 years old to see what kind of hands he had at the time but it's just boring and pointless trick shots that I can find. Is there any proper footage from that time?
So you're looking for some video of a 10 year-old that's a little more graphic?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So you're looking for some video of a 10 year-old that's a little more graphic?
Something like dekes against defensemen / goalies and such. I guess if they don't exist that's a silly thing to ask for. Guess that's not why he was famous. Kind of a shame if it was just because of some circus trick though.

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
This guy is an absolute beast. Everybody talks about his shot but I think he has the best hands in his draft class. He's gonna be quite the weapon on the PP.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
1-Dahlin
2-Svechnikov
3-Wahlstrom
4-Zadina
5-Dobson
6-Bouchard
7-Hughes
8- Boqvist
9-Kravtsov
10-Ty Smith
11- Tkachuk

I’m not an expert. I saw mostly The US development program and OHL. I saw limited WHL and Q but I watch many shift by shift videos. I prefer those to highlight videos because highlight videos are made to make everyone look good and usually doesn’t show other aspects of the players games.

I was a huge fan of Bouchard and think highly of him but I think his defensive game needs work. I just feel that Dobson ceiling is higher.

Kotkaniemi not in your top 11?

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kotkaniemi not in your top 11?

No, I had him at #13 but to be fair for me 8-14 we’re pretty interchangeable.
Kotkaniemi was a late riser and I only saw him in the U20 where he did look good but it was only a handful of games. In the U18 he was great looking at stats.

This draft was really wide open after Dahlin imo. I don’t have a problem with the Habs taking Kotkaniemi. I do believe you always take BPA though and I don’t believe he was BPA for them but they’re desperate to find a #1 Center.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
No, I had him at #13 but to be fair for me 8-14 we’re pretty interchangeable.
Kotkaniemi was a late riser and I only saw him in the U20 where he did look good but it was only a handful of games. In the U18 he was great looking at stats.

This draft was really wide open after Dahlin imo. I don’t have a problem with the Habs taking Kotkaniemi. I do believe you always take BPA though and I don’t believe he was BPA for them but they’re desperate to find a #1 Center.

Fair enough thanks for the rationale

Reactions: SI90
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad