RW Niklas Nordgren, HIFK - 74th overall 2018

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
It's been a while since 2014-15 when Hawks beat TB in the finals....and it's been 14 years since Lightning won the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't call that anything to write home about. The missing ingredient could very well be on the physicality side of the game that generally comes with size.
In case anyone missed it, Caps were destroying other teams with physical hockey on their way to the SC. Literally every playoff series was physical, in fact. If Hawks insist on going small, the character becomes even more important for smaller players who will need to play in the trenches, especially at crunch time.

Look who Tampa has lost to in the playoffs. 3 straight playoffs they’ve lost to the cup champion. 2/3 times to a team just as small as them. Pens were in the bottom half of the league in size and we’re not a physical team and they ripped off two straight cups (while beating the caps both years while they had those same physical players). Chicago was the least physical team in the playoffs in 2015 and we all know how that worked out. Physicality is for sure a nice add if you can get it but it needs to come along with speed and skill which the Capitals had a bunch of. Kinda like Clyde said before me it’s a really simplistic view to credit just the physical play for the cup when they were an incredibly skilled team.

I’m not sure if Tampa has a missing ingredient, they’re just a testament to how hard it is to win a championship in this league. Not only do you need to be one of the best teams but you need a great deal of luck. They’ll get theirs.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Sorry late update.
But better later than never.

If you guys ( Blackhawks fans) wanna see Nordgren playing best way for that is get ruutu+ subscription.
Ruutu+ owns broadcasting rights A juniors SM liiga games.

First subscription month is free but then it'll cost 9,90 Euros ( approximately 10 euros) per month.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I understood one word out of the commentary... “Blackhawks”.

There is literally nothing more than that.

First goal in mens league, finally. Haha.

This Lundell kid is going to be good.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
So he now has 2g 1a in 4 Liga games played ..

With better linemates Nordgren would have scored more points than 2+1.
Nordgren has played mostly in 3rd line with Teemu Tallberg and Tommi Santala.

Nordgren has also got some minutes in HIFK's 1st powerpaly unit.

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just playing with EliteProspects a bit, comparing Nordgren to other players in Liiga.

Out of all players under 23, Nordgren (18) is 7th in PPG. However, EP has not yet updated for today's game, which now brings him to a PPG rate, which bumps him up to a tie with fellow Hawks prospect Roy Radke for 2nd. Radke has played only a single game in that league, so I'm pretty confidant that PPG will drop.

Nordgren, on the other hand, has played less than half of the games compared to the players currently listed ahead of him in that category (except for Radke). So small sample size does play a role, but it's still rare for a player to be PPG in that league when they're 21 or 22, especially so when they are only 18. If he can somehow keep this up for the entire season, he will skyrocket in prospect rankings (not just for us, but NHL prospects in general).

Reactions: migi

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
An actual shot goal! The kid has a "shot" that beats goalies ! Our own Kucherov? WE CAN only hope!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad