RW Niklas Nordgren, HIFK - 74th overall 2018

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Ranked #48 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #61 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #62 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #49 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #21 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #55 by TSN/McKenzie

Nordgren is a highly skilled playmaker who was excellent at the junior ranks, putting up good numbers in Finland, and was very good with the Finland U18 team in international play. He is always looking to make a play, has a great understanding of how to create offense, has the touch to pull off difficult plays and can be a QB from the side boards on the power play. His vision and puck skills are both great, with the ability to be a primary creator of offense and excel on the man advantage. At times he can try and make the extra play, but you take that occasionally for all the offense he creates. His skating is worrisome for a 5-foot-9 guy, which keeps me from getting him to the higher tiers, but it still grades as average, and given how hard he hustles, he gets up the ice reasonably well. I also wouldn’t classify him as a highly physical guy, but he works and I’ve seen him be competent on the PK as well. He’ll need time to bulk up, but he has a ton of upside. -- Corey Pronman

Finnish full speed attacker and set up man who is under 5’ 10 and 170. Plays hard and fast with good smarts for seeing openings and capitalizing. Scored eight goals in the Under-18 World Junior Tournament, more than any other player. Displays really good hands and has the toolbox of a scorer. Has good on-ice vision and drives to the right areas to win pucks. Surprises the opposition with set ups and goals they they are unprepared for. Needs to continue to improve his feet, strength and his size. -- Bill Placzek

Nordgren is a really skilled puck handler and possesses a fantastic wrist shot that is deceptive in release and quick in velocity. His stat line for the U20 Liiga suggests he is a playmaker but all other league and tournament play indicate he is a goal scorer. In my opinion, he is just a well round offensive player who can adapt his game to the situation and create in a multitude of ways. The puck just seems to gravitate towards him. He is a hard worker who will out hustle his opponents in all three zone but his skating isn’t very quick. Generally, players of his size have quick feet with good acceleration but I’ve found him to be a bit heavy on his feet and then lacks the strength to create speed through those strides. He is strong on his feet though when looking at controlling and protecting the puck. His low centre of gravity aids him in this area as he is able to keep himself over the puck well. Nordgren is really smart on the ice with his movements that he puts himself in situations where those skating concerns aren’t an issue but it will need to improve for him to have a shot at a productive NHL career.
-- Ryan Biech

Last edited:

migi

Feb 25, 2015
George is a bit homer against Finnish players, omg.

Nordgren is boom or bust. Very good shot but slow. If he gets his skating to average at least, he is NHL’er.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Yea, his skating was really an issue early, but he seemed to get a lot better by the time the U18s came around. Still needs work there, but an exciting pick for 74. Was just outside my top 30.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sniper but another surf. ..5'8 ...Continues the Small theme that Stan and Kelley are infected with...We already have D-Cat and a plethora of smallish den in the pipeline
.so it is starting to look like a sickness to me that Kelley is advising Stan to avoid any bigger guys and of course the aversion to goalies when other teams take the plunge in 3nd and 3rd rounds on those. .

Reactions: Blackhawks

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Nordgren absolutely is a boom or bust type project pick.
He has had injuries which are affected his development and skating.

5'9 tall Nordgren isn't biggest guy on the ice but the talent and skills are there.
Nordgren is high scoring winger and he has good shot skating and physicality needs improvement,

If he can reach his potential Nordgren has chance to be Alex DeBrincat type scoring winger.
Nordgren isn't NHL or AHL ready yet so best option to him is stay in HIFK and play there next 3 yrs.

Nordgren signed 4 yrs liiga contract with HIFK last May ( 2017).
This past season Nordgren played 15 games in HIFK's sm liiga team and got his first liiga points ( 3 assists).
Nordgren has confirmed his goal is to play in HIFK next season and have a big role there.

Reactions: AmericanDream

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The good thing about Nordgren is that he's engaged defensively and also has a good compete along the boards, he also goes to the dirty areas in front of the net and you could say he plays bigger than his size. I really think that this is a great value pick at this spot.

On the other hand, his skating is a serious weakness and he needs to fix it to be able to play. A small player with bad skating is a no-no. He also wouldn't be ideal in a bottom 6 role so he really is boom-or-bust.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I watched the U18s on the computer. Guy skates like he should be really fast but he isn't. His legs move really quick but his stride is so terrible.

Reactions: migi

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
can't go wrong with this pick, it is evident Bowman is going skill, skill, skill....the rest you can work on

Yeah that's true.
Skating and physicality are those what NHL prospect can work on but talent for goal-scoring is natural.
Nordgren isn't Laine or Tolvanen and i hope no-one won't expect that immediately.

However Nordgren is 2-3 yrs away of NHL or AHL.
Best what Blackhawks can do now is let him play in HIFK's sm liiga team.

HIFK has lost forwards this post season so there's at least rotation spot waiting for Nordgren.
But as a HIFK fan i wish Nordgren becomes liiga regular next season.

FinnishHockeyFan

Jun 23, 2018
I saw almost all games from Nordgren in Liiga last season. I think Blackhawks made big steal.

Everyone saw how skilled he is when he played in U18 championships, but it was his mature game in both sides of the rink in Liiga (HIFK) which impressed me the most.

I think we have here very very smart player how can read game in a special way. Nordgren is also extremely dangerous when he has a puck.

And he is also winner. He was maybe the MVP for Finland in U18 tournament and he has also made important goals in HIFK junior teams.

Here is one: Nordgren goal (youtube)

Nordgren is actually the only under 18-year-old player who has done 100 points in the HIFK's U20 team. It tells me something.

I'm pretty sure that Nordgren is way better than 74. pick and Blackhawks made smart move.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This kid has potential to be top6 winger or even higher. About his skating many scouts have seen it as big flaw which in my is semi-true, he isn't Jori Lehterä slow. Its thing what he can work on he's still young, but it need to be done.

Compare to you can't work/teach out that much hockey IQ, his defensive plays is impressive and everybody knows he's beast at offensive side of game. You put him PP or PK. I don't see as problem him being that small if he can fix his skating.

I don't remember numbers, but Nordgren was the biggest prospect who rised from +~100 to 74 and was predicted to be going 2nd round. Him falling 3rd round isn't steal, I think that might be draft best steal. I hate you guys get him that far and he'll punish Blues which makes me sad.

Nordgren was one of my favorite player in WJC with Kakko, Lundell and ofc Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
I saw almost all games from Nordgren in Liiga last season. I think Blackhawks made big steal.

Everyone saw how skilled he is when he played in U18 championships, but it was his mature game in both sides of the rink in Liiga (HIFK) which impressed me the most.

I think we have here very very smart player how can read game in a special way. Nordgren is also extremely dangerous when he has a puck.

And he is also winner. He was maybe the MVP for Finland in U18 tournament and he has also made important goals in HIFK junior teams.

Here is one: Nordgren goal (youtube)

Nordgren is actually the only under 18-year-old player who has done 100 points in the HIFK's U20 team. It tells me something.

I'm pretty sure that Nordgren is way better than 74. pick and Blackhawks made smart move.

Great Info- Thanks

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Small is the new big, better get used to it, its the new NHL!.
From now on always go for skill over size NHL.
Curious. Did you watch the playoffs? The NHL playoffs.

No question that smaller players with skill and character have a better chance than ever to play in the NHL, but let's not make it so black and white, just because Stan loves smurfs. Big players who take advantage of their size, and with skill in their game, will always be highly sought after.

Last edited:
Reactions: teravaineSAROS

migi

Feb 25, 2015
His season may be in jeopardy. He has some serious lower-body injury which keeps him out until January and he might be done for the season according to some rumours.

My own mother knows Nordgren's mother but she hasn't said anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad