RW Nail Yakupov - Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik, KHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
That's a sick release! I have to say I am more than happy with his decision to play in the KHL so far.

So am I. He already showed his dominance in the North American game, albeit against his peers. He needed the chance to play against men, in a men's league. He's taking full advantage. It's awesome.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
haven't seen any of his KHL games...was wondering how defense for Yak runs in the KHL...is he showing up solely offensively...or is he showing any defensive awareness?

In the OHL...his defense was kinda absent as is typical for uber-elite forwards in jr. hockey.

At the NHL level...his D needs to improve (as does the D of every prospect at his level, incl. as was said about RNH, Hall, Tavares, etc.).

So...was just wondering whether he's just going high end re: offense in the KHL - or whether his play in the KHL is going to let him pick up D skills...or whether D improvement really requires him to get NHL experience.

ETA: - just to be clear...i'm not trolling re: Yak's D skills...i just mean is he going to develop NHL-esque D-skill while playing in the KHL.

Ogopogo*

haven't seen any of his KHL games...was wondering how defense for Yak runs in the KHL...is he showing up solely offensively...or is he showing any defensive awareness?

In the OHL...his defense was kinda absent as is typical for uber-elite forwards in jr. hockey.

At the NHL level...his D needs to improve (as does the D of every prospect at his level, incl. as was said about RNH, Hall, Tavares, etc.).

So...was just wondering whether he's just going high end re: offense in the KHL - or whether his play in the KHL is going to let him pick up D skills...or whether D improvement really requires him to get NHL experience.

ETA: - just to be clear...i'm not trolling re: Yak's D skills...i just mean is he going to develop NHL-esque D-skill while playing in the KHL.

Honestly, if the guy scores 50 goals in Edmonton, nobody will give a **** about his D skills. There are actually defensemen and a goalie that are responsible for that aspect of the game.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Honestly, if the guy scores 50 goals in Edmonton, nobody will give a **** about his D skills. There are actually defensemen and a goalie that are responsible for that aspect of the game.

yeah...don't worry...i wasn't born yesterday. i get all that. i was just wondering (honestly, out of curiosity) whether his time in the KHL was developing (or revealing) anything d-wise.

again, my previous msg wasn't troll. i was just wondering whether in the KHL he'd shown anything D-wise.

Oct 15, 2008
yeah...don't worry...i wasn't born yesterday. i get all that. i was just wondering (honestly, out of curiosity) whether his time in the KHL was developing (or revealing) anything d-wise.

again, my previous msg wasn't troll. i was just wondering whether in the KHL he'd shown anything D-wise.

He's only played a few games, and from the three games Ive seen him play, nobody is all that concerned about defense. The KHL is like shinny with full gear.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

I really have no idea what his coach over there wants but I am sure the higher level of competition is still better for developing his defense than another year in Sarnia. He would be that much farther ahead offensively in the OHL and thus less needed defensively. Also it is a lockout and any playing time is better than most.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Does this mean (providing lockout allows it) he *will* play in the WJC? Meaning, if the lockout is still on does it follow the KHL team will let him play @ WJC (or is it like an NHL scenario - where the team may not release him).

I would be beyond shocked if his team didn't release him for the U20 taking place in Russia. (provided the lockout is still raging....and I'm hearing rumblings that we are getting closer to a resolution...towards the end of this month) but in the event there is a lockout I can't imagine any scenario where it would happen the way it does in Canada.

Fulcrum

I would be beyond shocked if his team didn't release him for the U20 taking place in Russia. (provided the lockout is still raging....and I'm hearing rumblings that we are getting closer to a resolution...towards the end of this month) but in the event there is a lockout I can't imagine any scenario where it would happen the way it does in Canada.

Yup, KHL teams Always release WJC players, without hesitation. If the lockout keeps going, he'll be there.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Yup, KHL teams Always release WJC players, without hesitation. If the lockout keeps going, he'll be there.

Yeah Evgeny Kuznetsov was realesed last tournament even though he was Traktors best player last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad