RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

LetsGoFlyers12

Jan 19, 2017
So Michkov isn't on Team Russia 25 roster, which is going to play vs Belarus and Kazakhstan, and he played for it last year. Of course this team is a personal team of Rotenberg, there are 17 SKA players out of 25 on it, and Russian hockey fans aren't happy about this shit at all, but I personally don't give a damn for this.

It's Michkov's absence that I care about. It looks like Matvei and Rotenberg aren't on good terms, and I don't see another explanation because by his skill he has to be on the team for sure, before most if not all SKA players at the very least.

Can't even say what it's going to be with SKA and Michkov relationships, I hope Matvei will somehow terminate his contract and move to NA.
In an interview, about a month ago, Michkov stated he was training for this tournament, so he obviously expected to play. You are right though, there is obviously resentment between Rotenberg and Michkov, and it seems to have hit a boiling point directly after the NHL draft.

I remember seeing a poster on Twitter mentioning he met Michkov at an airport and Michkov said he expected to get out of his contract early. This led to a response from SKA/Rotenberg stating Michkov has 3 years on his deal and he is expected to carry it out in full. The poster immediately took down the tweet and apologized for getting Michkov in hot water.

I know buying out KHL deals can be done, and it is triggered a year in advance. (Theoretically, Michkov would need to be working that out right about now to terminate his last year). I wonder if this could be going on as we speak, and Rotenberg is phasing Michkov out of Russian hockey. The next real test will be when SKA preseason games start.

All this is total speculation, but it seems odd that Michkov's standing in Russian hockey is going backwards, while his play continues to improve year over year.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
In an interview, about a month ago, Michkov stated he was training for this tournament, so he obviously expected to play. You are right though, there is obviously resentment between Rotenberg and Michkov, and it seems to have hit a boiling point directly after the NHL draft.

I remember seeing a poster on Twitter mentioning he met Michkov at an airport and Michkov said he expected to get out of his contract early. This led to a response from SKA/Rotenberg stating Michkov has 3 years on his deal and he is expected to carry it out in full. The poster immediately took down the tweet and apologized for getting Michkov in hot water.

I know buying out KHL deals can be done, and it is triggered a year in advance. (Theoretically, Michkov would need to be working that out right about now to terminate his last year). I wonder if this could be going on as we speak, and Rotenberg is phasing Michkov out of Russian hockey. The next real test will be when SKA preseason games start.

All this is total speculation, but it seems odd that Michkov's standing in Russian hockey is going backwards, while his play continues to improve year over year.

I think, in theory if a team signs a player but doesn't play him it can be a good basis to demand the contract termination or at the very least to ask for a trade and then resign the contract for shorter term. I'm pretty sure if Michkov asks IIHF he'll get support from the organization. Will he want to go against FHR, Rotenberg and somebody else is another question. But I'm sure Russian fans and probably press will support him.

Reactions: LetsGoFlyers12

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
SKA is considering the option of transferring Matvey Michkov to Philadelphia.

Chairman of the Board of Directors of SKA Alexander Medvedev spoke about this.

Matvey Michkov returned to SKA after a loan spell at Sochi. The forward was selected by the NHL club seventh overall in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.

– Change to St. Petersburg or Philadelphia? Avangard released Ivan Miroshnichenko in the same situation.

– Unlike the situation with Ivan Fedotov, we are in contact with Philadelphia.

The Flyers management does not even hide their desire for Matvey to come to them and try his hand at the NHL.

But if you go earlier, then you need to have a clause in the contract that if Philadelphia is tempted to send him to the AHL, he will have the right to return.

But it’s too early to talk about this, because legally Michkov is under a contract with SKA.

And Philadelphia sent us their assurances that they would not commit any violations of contractual rights.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Michkov should be given the Bedard treatment in Chicago this season: play as much as you want and don’t worry about defense
Yes, most likely, Philadelphia is going nowhere and wasting time playing Torts Hockey to place 11th in the Conference. A young player like Michkov needs time and opportunity to focus on developing his offense at the NHL level before attempting to turn him into a grinder.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

Matvei Michkov May Sign With Flyers Before End Of KHL Contract​

Heading into the 2022-23 season, Russian winger Matvei Michkov was the slam-dunk second-best prospect available in the 2023 draft behind eventual Blackhawks first-overall pick Connor Bedard. Fast forward to draft day, though, and Michkov was still available with the Flyers’ pick at seventh overall. There were a couple of reasons for this – Leo Carlsson and Adam Fantilli had their draft stocks rise throughout the year thanks to spectacular campaigns, earning them second and third overall billing. Michkov had a slow start to the year, marred by injury and inconsistent playing time with his KHL club, SKA St. Petersburg.

SKA loaned Michkov out to bottom-feeder HK Sochi midway through the season, though, where he erupted for 20 points in the final 27 games of the season. That repaired his stock somewhat, but there were concerns about how long a team would have to wait to see Michkov in their lineup. He’s under contract with SKA through the 2025-26 campaign, and without a transfer agreement between the NHL and KHL, there’s no way for the Flyers to buy him out of his deal if it isn’t a mutual decision.

It turns out that may not be a concern after all. Speaking with matchtv.ru, SKA chairman Alexander Medvedev said that the club has good relations with the Flyers front office and will consider letting Michkov depart for the NHL before his contract ends (translated by PHLY Sports’ Alexander Appleyard). Medvedev confirmed that if SKA opts to release him, the Flyers want Michkov in the NHL as soon as next season.

SKA will make a call on whether to retain Michkov for at least next season by the end of June, Medvedev said. Even if Michkov can’t/doesn’t make the jump to North America this summer, the club might still let him transfer to Philadelphia in the 2025 offseason with one year left on his contract with SKA.

Michkov, 19, led all KHL junior players in points this season with 41 in 48 games played, all but one coming on his second consecutive loan to Sochi. He led the team in points per game and led them outright in goals, scoring 19 times in 47 games. Their leading scorer, 27-year-old winger Artur Tyanulin, had 17 goals and 45 points in 63 games. That solidifies him as the Flyers’ bonafide number-one prospect and one of the best U-20 players in the world.

Signing Michkov this summer would allow him to first reach restricted free agency in 2027. If he plays for the Flyers next season, he’d likely slot into a middle-six right wing role out of the gate, creating competition for other youngsters like Bobby Brink and veterans like Cam Atkinson.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The problem is I don’t see much offensive support for him in Philly so his rookie year might be slightly underwhelming just like Bedard’s

Yeah unless he plays Center with Konecny on his RW, it would be difficult. Their group of Centers is among the worst in the NHL. Unless of course Couturier has a massive bounce to his 2017-2020 level in his 2nd year removed from his multiple back surgeries.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Yes, most likely, Philadelphia is going nowhere and wasting time playing Torts Hockey to place 11th in the Conference. A young player like Michkov needs time and opportunity to focus on developing his offense at the NHL level before attempting to turn him into a grinder.
Like Tippett? Sure glad Torts ruined him by all that 4th line deployment.

/s

The torts rhetoric on this board can be dumb as hell

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
The problem is I don’t see much offensive support for him in Philly so his rookie year might be slightly underwhelming just like Bedard’s
Theres more support than the hawks at least. It’s just that torts can ruin that quickly

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Like Tippett? Sure glad Torts ruined him by all that 4th line deployment.

/s

The torts rhetoric on this board can be dumb as hell

Tippett is funny as f*** to me because he's absolutely terrible defensively, makes three braindead dangerous outlet passes per game, but Torts plays him 20 minutes some nights and then benches other guys for a single turnover.

He's actually one of the more glaring examples of the central Torts criticism, which is that his STANDARD is mostly just a bias, and that being a big guy who randomly charges into the corner on the forecheck is a better route to staying in the lineup than actually being good and intentional with your positioning.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad