RW Matvei Michkov - HC Sochi, KHL (2023, 7th, PHI) Part 4

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
22 games isn't the same as 47 games. And Yakupov scored 31 points in 48 games in the NHL that season, sometimes even pigs can fly, but very occasionally.
Was that your scouting report on him at the time?
I remember when the Canucks drafted a kid who in his D+1 set the USA wjc20 all time scoring record. I was like: Sure even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally (or maybe i didn't post that, there's no record either way)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Probably higher? When you add Ovie, Gino, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk etc etc etc to a league it's likely scoring will go up.
Neftekhimik didn't have any stars like that though that year. Still if I counted everything correctly, in Yakupov's 22 games that season they scored 60 goals, which is about 2.72 goals per game. Out of those 60 goals Yakupov directly contributed on 30 percent of those.

To compare, in Michkov's 47 games Sochi scored 116 goals, which is 2.46 goals per game. Out of those 116 goals Michkov directly contributed on 35 percent of those.

Btw, Yakupov's 0.82 ppg that KHL season translated into a solid 0.65 ppg in the NHL.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
"No other KHL player in the season after they were drafted to the NHL has come close to this points per game ratio".

Nail Yakupov had .82 pgs/gm. How many more points does a player with .003 pts/gm advantage have over a full khl season. 1 or 2. Yeah, Yakupov only played 22 games, because then the nhl lockout ended. Yakupov did that in a year when the khl had many many nhl level players who were only there because of the lockout.

If some of you can't figure out why you're getting pushback on the kind of year Michkov had it's because of a level of hyperbole that borders on outright lying. I don't hate Michkov, I like highly skilled, entertaining offensive hockey. I also don't give a shit one way or the other about the Flyers. I just don't like being lied to.

He had a great season. Other d+1 and U20 players have had great seasons in the khl before. The kind of nhl player he's going to be is going to depend mostly on how his game translates to that league, not what his ppg this year was.

Oh, sorry, I fixed it for you. I forgot about him. Because.. he's so incredibly forgettable. Maybe also think about the fact that Yakupov played for a team that went 27-19 that year. Matvei would feel like he's in utopia if he had that kind of team to play for

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Reactions: FlyguyOX

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So Michkov isn't on Team Russia 25 roster, which is going to play vs Belarus and Kazakhstan, and he played for it last year. Of course this team is a personal team of Rotenberg, there are 17 SKA players out of 25 on it, and Russian hockey fans aren't happy about this shit at all, but I personally don't give a damn for this.

It's Michkov's absence that I care about. It looks like Matvei and Rotenberg aren't on good terms, and I don't see another explanation because by his skill he has to be on the team for sure, before most if not all SKA players at the very least.

Can't even say what it's going to be with SKA and Michkov relationships, I hope Matvei will somehow terminate his contract and move to NA.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Michkov isn't on Team Russia 25 roster, which is going to play vs Belarus and Kazakhstan, and he played for it last year. Of course this team is a personal team of Rotenberg, there are 17 SKA players out of 25 on it, and Russian hockey fans aren't happy about this shit at all, but I personally don't give a damn for this.

It's Michkov's absence that I care about. It looks like Matvei and Rotenberg aren't on good terms, and I don't see another explanation because by his skill he has to be on the team for sure, before most if not all SKA players at the very least.

Can't even say what it's going to be with SKA and Michkov relationships, I hope Matvei will somehow terminate his contract and move to NA.

Rotenberg is such a piece of shit.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Would love to see him play for the Flyers next year already. That organization needs at least one player to be a bit excited for. Believe he could be a good match with a bigger guy and Tuomaala in the future. If Tuomaala is good enough that is.
Michkov IQ and overall skill together with Tuomaalas speed and shot? Who knows.
Or perhaps with Denver Barkey.
Tuomaala-Barkey-Michkov?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Sounds promising for a move to NA this summer.

• Haha
Reactions: Devonator and Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Sounds promising for a move to NA this summer.
Sucks we have Couturier and other shitty centers though. If Michkov plays on the wing that is.
I really hope we'll draft Helenius. Him and Michkov would tear up the league. Smart players both of them and Helenius puts in the work. But... Hard time seeing Flyers being cheeky or smart when drafting. Michkov being the exception.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

Maybe that would be the best thing possible for Michkov. If SKA is going to be mismanage him, maybe they can be convinced to let him free.

It's laughable that "Bobrov has SKA connections, Montreal might have intel on Michkov" was once an excuse. How can anyone trust SKA's judgement on Michkov when it's keeps blowing up in their face?

Reactions: FlyguyOX

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Maybe that would be the best thing possible for Michkov. If SKA is going to be mismanage him, maybe they can be convinced to let him free.

It's laughable that "Bobrov has SKA connections, Montreal might have intel on Michkov" was once an excuse. How can anyone trust SKA's judgement on Michkov when it's keeps blowing up in their face?
They were hangin on anything to make them deal with the Reinbacher pick.

Reactions: Redpath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad