RW Martin Kaut (2018, 16th, COL)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Lets just keep in mind that the difference in their international production, when prorated to a full season, is the difference between Nick Backstrom and Justin Williams this year.

Yeah, I was gonna say that the difference in production is actually pretty significant.

I didn't say they were equals, just that it was closer than you'd expect. This was from 16/17 season and Zadina was very hyped whereas Kaut didn't receive any talk whatsoever and was basically an unknown until the WJC. The point of my post was that Kaut wasn't really that far behind Zadina when it came to production and by looking on their resumes prior to this season he should've been mentioned as a top50 prospect at the very least, if not as a potential 1st rounder.

They obviously played in different leagues this year so it's hard to compare their numbers this year, but internationally Kaut had 7 points in 7 games at the WJC, Zadina had 8 points in 7 games and at the Euro Hockey Tour against men Kaut had 1 point in 5 games while Zadina had 2 points in 6 games. So again quite similar.

Kaut also has slightly better numbers in the Czech league this year than Martin Necas had in his draft year. (Kaut was 3 months older in his draft year though) but if you compare their U18 numbers from last year (where they both played on the same team and Kaut was actually 9 months younger than Necas) he had slightly better numbers internationally. Necas had 3 points in 5 gamea at the U18 WC and 13 points in 15 games in total at the U18 international level. Kaut had 2 points in 5 games at the U18 WC and 28 points in 27 games at the U18 international level.

Despite this, Necas was getting all the hype last year and you never really heard anything about Kaut. Which is weird to me because both his numbers and the eye test matches up and he's a really, really good prospect but even now he isn't getting the respect he deserves, and that was before this heart problem surfaced (which hopefully isn't a big deal). I think he's going to be a heck of a player in the NHL and teams will kick themselves for passing on him.

Reactions: Nedved Petr

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I really wonder what the heart problem was about. In one Czech article they more or less said that if he wasn't a professional athlete he could live with it his whole life no problem, but since he is an athlete he's getting the operation.

JayHockey

Mar 19, 2015
It's called a "minor, routine surgery" and it doesn't appear that it will hurt his summer training/developpement at all. But, heart surgery sounds ugly. I do think it's going to hurt his draft stock a bit.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Appears he will be taking the Chytil route and suiting up for the Avs’ new AHL affiliate, the Colorado Eagles, for next season. Excited to see him up close. If he adapts well, he could be on a fast track to an NHL debut (considering his modest draft position).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Trading away Duchene and O'Reilly to help the defencive core has killed our offencive potency beyond the 1st line. Kaut has all the tools you want to rebuild that depth and secondary scoring.

He isn't a sexy pick, but will be a solid one down the road who fits everything that the Avs need.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Trading away Duchene and O'Reilly to help the defencive core has killed our offencive potency beyond the 1st line. Kaut has all the tools you want to rebuild that depth and secondary scoring.

He isn't a sexy pick, but will be a solid one down the road who fits everything that the Avs need.

Kaut & Jost will make sweet wingers for Drae on our 2nd top line...

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I’m really happy with this pick. The heart problem really scared me off of Kaut when I first heard about it, but he seemed healthy and happy when he was drafted yesterday. A heady, 2-way playmaker with great skating is just about exactly what the Avs need in their prospect pool.

I like the path these international prospects are taking where they go straight to the AHL to get acclimated to the smaller ice. Hopefully Kaut has a Chytil-esque surge up the lists when the inevitable re-drafts start coming along.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Hopefully he comes back to Pardubice for one more season, he would really benefit from it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Greer - Shyryov - Kaut, with french Nic & Timmins on the blueline & the frenchman in goal, will lead the Eagles from the Kelly Cup to Calder Cup glory :yo:
Hopefully he comes back to Pardubice for one more season, he would really benefit from it.

Though I wouldn't mind this given the recklessness of the AHL, if he's physically ready for it I'd love to see him follow the Rantanen or Pastrnak track...especially with our new AHL affiliate a not-that-long drive up the interstate away. A bit of a step up in level of play but he'd also get to adjust to playing in North America and get to work much more closely with our staff...while also starting to develop relationships with the players he'll be playing with when he gets to the Avs.

It helps that we signed the frenchman to be the eagles starting goalie so Kaut will have a fellow newly immigrated Czech in Loveland with him...and one who's a little older & can be a bit of that big brother for him that helps to have when making a move like that at such a young age.

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Martin Kaut is such a surefire NHLer
Size; check.
Skating; check.
Playmaking ability; check.
Shooting; check.
Puck control; check.
Physicality; check.
Compete; check.
2-way; check.

No truly high-end skill, but he is the definition of an all-around player. I can't see him not making himself valuable in some form of role to an NHL club. Making the NHL as a bottom6 forward right away is not entirely out of the picture to me, probably better off taking one more year developing his game in the Czech/AHL though.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Having a good start to his North American career with the Colorado Eagles in the AHL.

It’s great that the Avs could get him over to NA at 18 and playing down the road in Loveland. They can monitor his development and get lots of quality views.

He should be NHL ready in a year and a half or so.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
After a bit of a slow start in the AHL he has 5 points in his last 5 games. Up to 10 points in 17 games now, same number of points as Zadina but with 1 more game played.

Seems the Eagles aren't doing all that well though, lost 6 of their last 7 games I believe.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
He's been playing well actually, 8 points in his last 9 games. He's never going to be a player that wows in the box score but he plays a pro style game and is adapting well. Colorado's AHL affiliates have historically been a production graveyard too.
Putting aside the points, is he playing well defensively? He was marketed as a capable 2-way guy, and I’m hoping that part of his game is translating, too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Putting aside the points, is he playing well defensively? He was marketed as a capable 2-way guy, and I’m hoping that part of his game is translating, too.

He's +7 on a team with a -9 goal differential. I know... +/- but there aren't many other stats available. And yes he plays well defensively, he's smart and uses his stick and back checks well. My favorite part of his game is his play along the boards, he might be the best Av at it one day. He has good poise with the puck in pressure situations as well. Really he just needs to get a bit stronger especially on the puck in open ice but he should play in the NHL by next year.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
He's +7 on a team with a -9 goal differential. I know... +/- but there aren't many other stats available. And yes he plays well defensively, he's smart and uses his stick and back checks well. My favorite part of his game is his play along the boards, he might be the best Av at it one day. He has good poise with the puck in pressure situations as well. Really he just needs to get a bit stronger especially on the puck in open ice but he should play in the NHL by next year.
I’ve gotta get to Loveland to see him live sometime this year. I wasn’t expecting him to magically light up the AHL like Rantanen did, but I guess I wasn’t expecting him to be .5 PPG so soon, either. It’s good to hear that he’s adjusting to NA ice well. I remember watching some clips of him toying with people along the boards, so I’m happy to hear he’s continuing that this year. He should be a quietly effective player in the middle-6 soon. If your prediction of him playing for the Avs next year comes true, then I’ll be ecstatic. I guess it remains to be seen who his center will be, though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’ve gotta get to Loveland to see him live sometime this year. I wasn’t expecting him to magically light up the AHL like Rantanen did, but I guess I wasn’t expecting him to be .5 PPG so soon, either. It’s good to hear that he’s adjusting to NA ice well. I remember watching some clips of him toying with people along the boards, so I’m happy to hear he’s continuing that this year. He should be a quietly effective player in the middle-6 soon. If your prediction of him playing for the Avs next year comes true, then I’ll be ecstatic. I guess it remains to be seen who his center will be, though.

Kamenev's wing would be a good place for both him & Greer to start next season off if we can bring someone in for the 2nd line via FA or trade, and Jimmothy starts alongside Soda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad