RW/LW Klim Kostin (2017, 31st, STL, traded to EDM)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
But how to make new Russian kids learn from past mistakes? Young kids keep repeating the same mistakes that countless of older Russian players have done over the years. Like what Ivan Miroshnichenko did this year. An idiotic decision!

How to stop it?

It is obvious that these kids are not smart enough to realize it themselves. Or their agents or their parents. So the higher authorities must come up with something in order to save Russian hockey from losing its most talented players to mediocricy.
As @Atas2000 says. You can not stop everyone. But Russian hockey is working on better conditions in Russia, starting with Red Machine Development Program, the building of rinks, and they will launch new national U17 league next season. It will be a step between kids hockey & MHL because many 15-17 kids are not good enough for MHL yet.

The KHL adopted the new salary cap, U21 players are exempted from the cap, hence so many young prospects this season in the KHL.

Last but not least, U23 players will be obligated to pay their Russian clubs in case of moving abroad. The clever players will stay in Russia. Not so clever will move & hoping their USHL/CHL/NHL clubs will pay to Russian clubs.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
As @Atas2000 says. You can not stop everyone. But Russian hockey is working on better conditions in Russia, starting with Red Machine Development Program, the building of rinks, and they will launch new national U17 league next season. It will be a step between kids hockey & MHL because many 15-17 kids are not good enough for MHL yet.

The KHL adopted the new salary cap, U21 players are exempted from the cap, hence so many young prospects this season in the KHL.

Last but not least, U23 players will be obligated to pay their Russian clubs in case of moving abroad. The clever players will stay in Russia. Not so clever will move & hoping their USHL/CHL/NHL clubs will pay to Russian clubs.

So Russia like most countries already have a u-16 and u-18 league . What would then be the point of a u-17 league ?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So Russia like most countries already have a u-16 and u-18 league . What would then be the point of a u-17 league ?

If I get it from my experience with Russian hockey, their biggest structural issue is lack of top NATIONAL competitions in various age groups. Look at Russia before MHL (junior). Of course, they had various junior leagues in regions, but no top-notch league on a national level. They need such a national league to let their best teams/players to meet with the best of the country. Regional leagues are good, but the quality is not that great.

Of course, you do not need such a national league in U16 category because training is much more important in that age, so you need to limit travelling & costs (Russia is a big country), so regional leagues should be ok. I do not follow that U18 league, so I do not comment on it.

The main point with the new U17 league is to create a top-notch league with the best clubs from all country. Plus, all players moving abroad are at 16-17 yrs. If I know, Russian hockey schools finish their education when a player is 16-17. Then you need to play MHL but not every player is capable of doing it. Hence, many leave the country. Now, more roster spots will be created for them at U17 national league. Btw, it will be called the Russian Hockey League.

Perhaps @Atas2000 will add something or correct me?

Reactions: wings5

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If I get it from my experience with Russian hockey, their biggest structural issue is lack of top NATIONAL competitions in various age groups. Look at Russia before MHL (junior). Of course, they had various junior leagues in regions, but no top-notch league on a national level. They need such a national league to let their best teams/players to meet with the best of the country. Regional leagues are good, but the quality is not that great.

Of course, you do not need such a national league in U16 category because training is much more important in that age, so you need to limit travelling & costs (Russia is a big country), so regional leagues should be ok. I do not follow that U18 league, so I do not comment on it.

The main point with the new U17 league is to create a top-notch league with the best clubs from all country. Plus, all players moving abroad are at 16-17 yrs. If I know, Russian hockey schools finish their education when a player is 16-17. Then you need to play MHL but not every player is capable of doing it. Hence, many leave the country. Now, more roster spots will be created for them at U17 national league. Btw, it will be called the Russian Hockey League.

Perhaps @Atas2000 will add something or correct me?
A lot will depend on structure and schedule of competition. Othat than that in all sports it was since the soviet days divided by birth year. Evry birth year had it's own competition/tournament. While it is way easier for non-team sports. Everybody competes together, but the results are then split by birth year. In team sports you have to have leagues and teams. While before MHL level it makes less sense to let kids with age difference bigger than one year compete. So, I guess, every birth year getting an own league is appropriate.

Reactions: vorky and wings5

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Getting into game shape seems like. Much better recently, 3 points in the last 3 games and on the 1st line today.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Looks like he's starting to hit his stride. Is he like Chekhovich not coming back to North America this season then?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Looks like he's starting to hit his stride. Is he like Chekhovich not coming back to North America this season then?

He will be finishing the season in the KHL. I hope he turns next season and if he keeps producing, will likely have a top 9 role with the Blues.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He will be finishing the season in the KHL. I hope he turns next season and if he keeps producing, will likely have a top 9 role with the Blues.

Yeah he has to be done with the AHL , after this season he should only look to play in the NHL or develop in the KHL for a bit first

Domme90

Nov 21, 2020
He was ranked as the number one european player before the 2017 draft.Still think he can be an elite forward.If he can stay motivated and works at his defensive game .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad