RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I saw him in Plymouth Michigan earlier this year. HE stood out. i thought he was the best player in the tourney. A tourney that included Jack Hughes.

Reactions: Frannel

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
And in case if anyone was missing a reason to tune in to watch some FEL next season.....

Almost weird how little talk there was about him after the U18 WJHC, even though Kakko finished top 5 in scoring despite of not even being draft eligible. Let alone for being one of the main architects to bring home the gold medal. Was the most dynamic forward in the team, in my opinion anyway.

Well if Kotkaniemi went 3rd overall this year, he has certainly given little reason to believe he'd do any worse.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
I think Kakko has potential to be Laine/Barkov level of talent if not better. He has size, power, creates so much in small space, shifty player like Matt Barzal and is really tough to defend against him because he can make plays with opposite players on his skin and draws penalties. Has huge offensive confidence paired with world class vision and hands in tight. One of most underrated skills in hockey is balance. This guy has potential to be one of the toughest to knock off the puck and add shiftyness in addition of his puck control it’s just ridiculous mix. Alot can happen in 1 year but right now im extremely high on this kid. He should focus on his speed even when he already has decent explosiveness in his skating.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
And in case if anyone was missing a reason to tune in to watch some FEL next season.....

Almost weird how little talk there was about him after the U18 WJHC, even though Kakko finished top 5 in scoring despite of not even being draft eligible. Let alone for being one of the main architects to bring home the gold medal. Was the most dynamic forward in the team, in my opinion anyway.

Well if Kotkaniemi went 3rd overall this year, he has certainly given little reason to believe he'd do any worse.
Dont worry, crazy finns will make sure his thread has the most posts by the end of next season

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Yes, I agree. Laine isn't a generational player but his shot is for sure. Kakko has the tools to get on the same level however, he seems like a better skater already.

Maybe Kakko will be what Puljujärvi was projected to be. Don't get me wrong, I still have hopes for Pulju, but he really needs to step up next season if he wants to become what was originally expected of him.

Finland is starting to become ridiculously stacked on the wings.
I think Kakko also will be what Pulju was projected.

Reactions: Koijari

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I think Kakko has potential to be Laine/Barkov level of talent if not better. He has size, power, creates so much in small space, shifty player like Matt Barzal and is really tough to defend against him because he can make plays with opposite players on his skin and draws penalties. Has huge offensive confidence paired with world class vision and hands in tight. One of most underrated skills in hockey is balance. This guy has potential to be one of the toughest to knock off the puck and add shiftyness in addition of his puck control it’s just ridiculous mix. Alot can happen in 1 year but right now im extremely high on this kid. He should focus on his speed even when he already has decent explosiveness in his skating.

I agree that his ceiling is huge. It's really crazy that there are so many blue chip prospects popping from our country, this really is the golden age of Finnish hockey. Laine has scored 80 goals as a teenager and it's really not that ridiculous to say that someone else in the same freaking generation might end up being better... unbelievable to say the least. Could have never imagine this 10 years ago.

Reactions: FinPanda

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Does TPS stream their home U20 games somewhere other than Fanseat? Or not at all? I'm putting together a Kakko video but it's a bummer that all these home games are missing.

Also seems he enjoys playing the Jokerit U20 team, two games - two hat tricks and an assist.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Yes and no. I think if all goes exactly as hoped for, Kakko could have a shot at outscoring both of two in the regular season in his respective D year. Although most chips would have to fall down in the right order considering that Barkov was close to PPG in the draft year. Actually reaching PPG is hard as hell. Looking at 30 top scorers from 2017-18, only one player actually breached the barrier. The lowest scoring league on the planet? Anyway, lets not forget about Laine actually winning the Kurri award as well as the MVP in the WHC while breaking some decades old record there. Fast-forward and he wraps up a top 5 gpg rookie year and continues with 44 goal sophomore campaign in the NHL. These are historical feats from still developing youngster and there's a slim chance for any European teenager to replicate anything similar. When all is said and done, I do think Laine could end up having the most notable career out of all the Finns, granted that he doesn't get wrecked by injuries.

Nonetheless it's difficult not to be stoked about Kakko and how well rounded he is. The kid is clearly ahead of Barkov or Laine on the skates (at the same age) - agile as h*** and as you said, shifty added with excellent balance. Hasn't yet hit the top gear, but considering how fluid he's already moving around the ice, I think he'll be an elite skater once all is said and done. His hands don't fall short in comparison, in fact they're on sync with the footwork, which enables an excellent puck control. Someone said he looked like a slower version of McDavid out there based on the way he skates and dekes with the with the puck glued on the stick. Shooting is the only real question mark at the moment. He is very unselfish and has a pass-first mentality. Could use a bit more of scoring mentality. Otherwise it's difficult to find weaknesses in the game or things not to like. Tremendous talent who doesn't lack hockey IQ nor vision.

Not sure if he's grown since U18s but I doubt he would today be 6"4 as Pronman apparently listed when just a two months back he looked maybe closer to 6"2, yet regardless height/size will never be an issue for Kakko. As I noted, it's hard to imagine another winger of Laine's level, don't think Svechnikov is either, but I knew Kaapo would be something special the first time I got to see any video material about him. In the few FEL games last year (as 16yo) he was usually able to stand up against the grown ups in the corners and that's probably what surprised me the most. Anyway, I suppose nothing is impossible and from the new generation of Finnish prospects I too cut the line after Laine, Barkov and Kakko, then the rest (with Heiskanen looking in). Could challenge Hughes for the 1st OA, especially if he's not considered 100% NHL center. Actually Kakko seems to have many of the qualities required from today's elite center. The kids get rarely transitioned at this age however.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Does TPS stream their home U20 games somewhere other than Fanseat? Or not at all? I'm putting together a Kakko video but it's a bummer that all these home games are missing.

Also seems he enjoys playing the Jokerit U20 team, two games - two hat tricks and an assist.
Yes.

TPS live

This is where TPS home games are streamed(for free). I don't know if there are archives and if there are, I don't know where they are.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This kid is good. Seems to be a monster in tight, scores a lot of goals right in the paint almost. Really solid off the rush great hands. Smooth skater. Protects the puck well. Pretty good along the boards. Shot arsenal is good. Definitely has the potential to be the best winger in the 2019 class. Doesn't seem to be a lot of weakness' from his game but nothing that majorly stands out either. I'll form a better opinion on that the more I watch him. Doesn't look 6'4 out there though. I'd say he's closer to 6'2-6'3 range going by some of his teammates heights around him.

Reactions: FinPanda

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Is he?
There is a lot of measurements out there for him

6'1
6'2
6'4

Growing superfast hehe he'll be 7'3 by the time he is drafted.

On another note he does remind me of Matthews. How is his wrist shot?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He looked noticeably bigger than Kotkaniemi at the u18 Worlds.
l_tehoketjuleijonat2018-696x464.jpg

This discussion ends now my dudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad