RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft) Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
If you are in the one thousand plus games-one thousand plus points territory Id call that a generational talent.
You got to get there first.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
These arguments about the definition of generational are just dumb. We'll never reach a consensus and people will always have their opinion.

If Kakko turns into a guy that we can feasibly argue about being "generational", I'll be over the moon. If he turns out to be a perennial all-star, but not quite a "generational" guy, I'll be really happy. For now I'll just hope he doesn't get injured in one of these post-season tournaments and that Gorton doesn't feel the need to be a superhero smart man and pick someone else.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Don’t even know why the word generational is even getting thrown around here, this is how he’ll get overrated. Kakko is not generational and there’s a very, very small chance he actually becomes a generational player. Enough with this

The word generational should be only reserved for the Crosby’s and the McDavid’s. Generational means once in a (hockey) generation. Guys who are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else which Kakko is not. I’m a Rangers fan and I’ve seen 20+ games of Kakko along with the WJC games. He’s a great prospect for sure and I think he’ll be a 35 goal, 85-90 point player but we’ve gotta chill with the G word

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think you are in fact over glorifying the hockey played nowadays. Sure there is more of speed and more of fast skaters, but still the fastest skaters arent really any faster than they were in Gretzky’s or Lemieux times.

They were btw both fine skaters, but they didn’t need to really dominate with the skating because they had so amazing skills in general and especially hockey IQ. No players in todays NHL have even close to the same package of overall skills that either Gretzky or Lemieux had. Remember that both of them scored still crazy amounts of points even when they were already way over 30 years old’s with plenty of nasty injuries that took away some of their best stride. Also players after them (and whom played even at their times as youngsters, like Jagr) have been able to do mighty well in nowadays league even as way over 40 years old’s.

Hockey hasn’t really evolved as a game of skill, but has just become more even with the physical attributes. And no, Kakko as he is now isn’t even close to the class of players that Gretzky or Lemieux were as 18 old’s. Sure he is physically way more dominating than at least Gretzky and maybe even than Lemieux, but he is way behind them in skills and especially hockey IQ. It’s honestly laughable to even try to suggest that Kakko could have done better than either of them or become the same class of a player or even a better player. Absolutely laughable.
Gretzky was making news when he was 12yo.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Next game for Kakko is this Thursday when Finland meets Norway in a practice match played in Finland. They play Norway twice this week I believe.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
lol haven't seen a more controversial prospect in a long time

I don't think Kakko is controversial at all. He's universally lauded as a really strong prospect. There are silly, premature arguments going on about just how good he might be. Controversial prospects usually have question marks and people arguing about whether they will make it all.

Reactions: Nate070 and 1OApick

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
That being said, man I love the physicality of Kakko. You cannot take that kid off the puck. The Rangers are gonna have two guys like that with him and Kravtsov which will raise possession stats and who knows what. Not to mention we might get another center with similar characteristics.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
That being said, man I love the physicality of Kakko. You cannot take that kid off the puck. The Rangers are gonna have two guys like that with him and Kravtsov which will raise possession stats and who knows what. Not to mention we might get another center with similar characteristics.
Chytil plays pretty similar to both as well

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Kakko has pretty weak balance and is falling down a lot. But he is still strong on puck and when his leg strenght gets better he will be one of the best players shielding the puck. It's crazy that he falls down a lot and is still strong on puck.

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
Kakko has pretty weak balance and is falling down a lot. But he is still strong on puck and when his leg strenght gets better he will be one of the best players shielding the puck. It's crazy that he falls down a lot and is still strong on puck.

I think that's mostly because of his playstyle he seems to fall down easily sometimes (still wuld say pretty rarely tho). He also has a body shape that makes him look "clumsy" at times (thick thighs and descending shoulders) especially in those contact and puck battle situations.

When he gets rid of that babyfat of his, I think his joints and muscles will make him hard as a stone and even better in those situations. On a safer situations (not physical pressure) where he uses his edges pivoting all around with the puck in tight spaces he actually shows great balance, cuz not many guys his age has that kind of talent on that aspect and cant do it for a long time without falling.

I wuld say for his age Kakko has above average balance, but exhausting style of game that reduces energy during shift and thus culd effect on his balance and falling down in some situations.

It will come over time when he grows up to his body completely, me thinks.

Reactions: 1OApick

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I think that's mostly because of his playstyle he seems to fall down easily sometimes (still wuld say pretty rarely tho). He also has a body shape that makes him look "clumsy" at times (thick thighs and descending shoulders) especially in those contact and puck battle situations.

When he gets rid of that babyfat of his, I think his joints and muscles will make him hard as a stone and even better in those situations. On a safer situations (not physical pressure) where he uses his edges pivoting all around with the puck in tight spaces he actually shows great balance, cuz not many guys his age has that kind of talent on that aspect and cant do it for a long time without falling.

I wuld say for his age Kakko has above average balance, but exhausting style of game that reduces energy during shift and thus culd effect on his balance and falling down in some situations.

It does not help either that 3 guys are hanging on his back all the time ;)

Reactions: Mysteric1000

fr9dd9

Nov 18, 2010
Sweden
Kakko have great balance, and is super strong around the stomack and lover back (thorso/trunk) a big reason that contributes to hes strenth in physical play. Forsberg was verry strong in just that area of hes body aswell.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
The debate over "generational" is dumb, but I'll weigh in anyway and say I think it should be understood as an expected value of one player at that level in a generation, not necessarily literally one player per generation. I also think it's reasonable to say Crosby and Ovechkin are both generational talents despite being drafted in consecutive years. Sometimes you just get two guys in a row by coincidence; moreover, they have different "generational" styles.

Reactions: koalabear9301

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016

Perfect explanation. Him getting that lower body strenght could make miracles to his game. I excpect him to be the best puck shielder in yhe league in his prime.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
The only generational players I have seen are Gretzky and Lemieux. Jagr was boderline and Sidney Crosby was there for a slight moment. The only guy playing today that has a chance to be one based solely on his god given ability is Connor McDavid. No one else.

Reactions: Studz

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The only generational players I have seen are Gretzky and Lemieux. Jagr was boderline and Sidney Crosby was there for a slight moment. The only guy playing today that has a chance to be one based solely on his god given ability is Connor McDavid. No one else.
Ovi is a generational goal scorer if that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad