RW Justin Bailey (2013, 52nd, BUF)

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
I saw him play against Kingston on Sunday. Potted two goals, one was a beauty where he went outside to inside through a defender and scored. Great hands, quick wrister and a good backhand. Pretty shifty off the rush, uses his reach well. Has a really awkward stride. Reminded me of Wayne Simmonds. Didn't get much of a read on his defensive game.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
I've only seen him play 3 times. He's a very talented player. He's got a hard wrister, very good hands, and protects the puck well. He is a pretty skilled passer too, even though he doesn't try to get to fancy very often. He isn't the most physical guy, but like I said he protects the puck well, and he protects in very well. The puck always seems just out of reach when someone is trying to take it from him.

His defensive game is pretty good, I'd like to see him improve it though. In the defensive zone he looks best along the board digging for the puck and usually, he's coming out with it.

As mentioned, his flaws are his skating. He's actually a pretty fast skater, but his stride is awkward. I noticed that he seems to skate with head down quite often, and apparently Patrick Sieloff did too. Hopefully he improves that aspect.

I haven't seen enough of him to make a proper assessment, so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I saw him play against Kingston on Sunday. Potted two goals, one was a beauty where he went outside to inside through a defender and scored. Great hands, quick wrister and a good backhand. Pretty shifty off the rush, uses his reach well. Has a really awkward stride. Reminded me of Wayne Simmonds. Didn't get much of a read on his defensive game.

Wayne Simmonds? Really? Seeing as he is a center and from what I've heard isn't the most physical doesn't sound like a Simmonds type player.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Wayne Simmonds? Really? Seeing as he is a center and from what I've heard isn't the most physical doesn't sound like a Simmonds type player.

I'd say it's not a bad comparison. They both have very similar body types, and they both do there best work along the boards and in front of the net.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Well, I'll weigh in as I've seen all of his games this year, including exhibition. I like the Simmonds comparison from a body type and skating style standpoint. But he definitely doesn't have that sandpaper yet. Keep in mind he's 17 though. Simmonds wasn't exactly a dynamo yet at that point.

Bailey has some slick hands and good offensive instincts. He is excellent at gaining the zone, but has been a bit hesitant to go to the dirty areas so far. Once he does, he'll start getting some of those loose pucks because he has size and quick hands.

He definitely needs to add some upper body strength as you can see him lose his balance too easily when a solid frame collides with him. And for a tall kid, he has trouble along the boards because of that. With time, and some weight room effort, he'll be a force.

I also know it's only a matter of time until someone chimes in to say he needs to keep his head up as he has been rocked a couple times this season while looking at his feet. Again, just rookie adjustments. Not a big deal.

But you can see his confidence starting to come. He even earned a bit of PP time this weekend. He has the size and talent to be a top line player in this league after a year of seasoning. Definitely NHL potential.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Well, I'll weigh in as I've seen all of his games this year, including exhibition. I like the Simmonds comparison from a body type and skating style standpoint. But he definitely doesn't have that sandpaper yet. Keep in mind he's 17 though. Simmonds wasn't exactly a dynamo yet at that point.

Bailey has some slick hands and good offensive instincts. He is excellent at gaining the zone, but has been a bit hesitant to go to the dirty areas so far. Once he does, he'll start getting some of those loose pucks because he has size and quick hands.

He definitely needs to add some upper body strength as you can see him lose his balance too easily when a solid frame collides with him. And for a tall kid, he has trouble along the boards because of that. With time, and some weight room effort, he'll be a force.

I also know it's only a matter of time until someone chimes in to say he needs to keep his head up as he has been rocked a couple times this season while looking at his feet. Again, just rookie adjustments. Not a big deal.

But you can see his confidence starting to come. He even earned a bit of PP time this weekend. He has the size and talent to be a top line player in this league after a year of seasoning. Definitely NHL potential.

I agree!

First I've heard of him, he's American I suppose ?
Dad's American and mother is Canadian from St Catharines. But I believe if he makes a national team it will be Team USA.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Central Scouting had him as an "A" player (So first round pick). I don't see that yet, but after that great game on Sunday he may start to pick it up. Don't be surprised to see a meteoric rise like Faksa last year.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston

Based more on his frame, skating style, puck protection skills, and stickhandling than his physical play and position. Showed a lot of the same things off the rush and along the boards. Didn't intend it to sound like a solid projection, just an impression.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Not shocked at the attention he is getting his skating has improved alot. Hard to predict what he becomes at the pro level but the potential is through the roof.

zytz

lumberjack
Jul 25, 2011
What are the odds he gets picked up in the first round? I'm interested in him for the Hawks for sure... seems like he could be a great pick for a late 1st rounder.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
What are the odds he gets picked up in the first round? I'm interested in him for the Hawks for sure... seems like he could be a great pick for a late 1st rounder.

10-25%. I expect him to be a high second rounder. If he was in the position Faksa was last year (Second line center behind a first line who took the shutdown pairing) he probably would have put up similar points.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Pretty decent. He's got the projectability that most scouts love. I could see him going top 20.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Anything can happen but it's looking like there's twenty guys better than Bailey in this draft. I'm thinking second round.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
And if you're referring to my second point, that was just unrelated. I don't see first round.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I doubt he goes in the first. But he should be early 2nd and I wouldn't be very surprised to see a team get really high on him and take him in the first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad