RW Jesse Puljujärvi (2016, 4th, EDM) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
What does the income policy in Finland have to do with Jesse Puljujärvi?

Jesse makes a little less than million bucks a year at the moment. Which is more than doctors or factory workers in Finland.

I'm more concerned about Oilers depth chart. Where does Jesse rank now? Will he be able to take up the #1 RW spot?

- Stoat

The problem is Eberle is colder than the arctic right now. He cannot buy a goal and has been largely ineffective after the first 10 games or so. If Jesse keeps improving and play like he has, he'll have no problem staying on McDavid's wing IMO. Does that make him the best RW on the team? Not sure currently our depth isn't great in the top 9, Eberle, Kassian and Puljujärvi

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
As in the best RW in the lineup? I doubt he becomes better than Eberle this early.

But I can see him establishing himself as McDavid's right winger as they seem to play well together, which would put him on the top line. The biggest issue is whether he's able to handle top line minutes and play against top competition for most of the season.

He's already proven to be better than Eberle, by quite a margin. I dont understand why some people still are saying he doesnt this and that and i think he wont this and that, Jesse is improving every game and showing nhl is the leage for him to develop in as an 18 year old. Jesse is on the top line and Eberle's not for a reason

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
He's already proven to be better than Eberle, by quite a margin. I dont understand why some people still are saying he doesnt this and that and i think he wont this and that, Jesse is improving every game and showing nhl is the leage for him to develop in as an 18 year old. Jesse is on the top line and Eberle's not for a reason

Eberle is on a serious cold streak, the kid has played 20 games he is not better than Eberle

Which line he plays on is not indicative of who's better, the lines were juggled after the losing skid.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Eberle is on a serious cold streak, the kid has played 20 games he is not better than Eberle

Which line he plays on is not indicative of who's better, the lines were juggled after the losing skid.

Eberle is not the player JP will be nor is he on JPs level sorry about that but its pretty much nailed:naughty:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

Proven by how? Getting promoted to the 1st line in place of Eberle? Nah, that doesn't mean he is the better player, only that he fits in better on McDavid's wing.

Eberle is a legit 60 point 1st line vet while Pulju is an 18 year old rookie still adapting to the NHL ice and making his fair share of rookie mistakes. While Pulju does certain things better and is already a much better player defensively, Eberle is better at generating offense and makes a bigger overall impact even though he's snake bitten at the moment.

Pulju will overtake Eberle as the top RW on the team soon enough I think. Wouldn't be overly surprised if it happens already this season but I wouldn't bet on it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
4 points in the last 4 games, and his skating is back :yo:
He's been great lately.
McDavid and Pulju are going to be something special, that speed is unreal. If they stay together he's going to catch up Laine in points before the season is over.

Loved seeing that backcheck from him where he breaks up a 2on1 and turns to create a 2on1 for McDavid and Lucic.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
4 points in the last 4 games, and his skating is back :yo:
He's been great lately.
McDavid and Pulju are going to be something special, that speed is unreal. If they stay together he's going to catch up Laine in points before the season is over.

Loved seeing that backcheck from him where he breaks up a 2on1 and turns to create a 2on1 for McDavid and Lucic.

Yup, too bad Looch whiffed on what should have been in the back of the net. For the love of god though put Jesse on the ****ing power play. Its actually infuriating that he hasn't been put on the left circle in Eberle's spot on the top unit.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yup, too bad Looch whiffed on what should have been in the back of the net. For the love of god though put Jesse on the ****ing power play. Its actually infuriating that he hasn't been put on the left circle in Eberle's spot on the top unit.

Forgot to mention that all those 4 points are ES points, as you know he's not even on the 2nd unit really, may get a 15s at the end of it.

I've said it probably too often but Eberles refusal to one time makes that pp unit easier to defend.
If you have Pulju on the other end and McDavid on the other it would be much more difficult to defend. Focus on 1 and the other is going to make you pay.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Forgot to mention that all those 4 points are ES points, as you know he's not even on the 2nd unit really, may get a 15s at the end of it.

I've said it probably too often but Eberles refusal to one time makes that pp unit easier to defend.
If you have Pulju on the other end and McDavid on the other it would be much more difficult to defend. Focus on 1 and the other is going to make you pay.

Eberle tried one-timing it to start the year. He just can't one-time a puck, he's awful at it. I'm fine with him being on the 2nd unit and cradling the puck like he does, but McDavid moves the puck fast and needs someone who can hammer the puck and get it off quick on those cross ice passes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Eberle tried one-timing it to start the year. He just can't one-time a puck, he's awful at it. I'm fine with him being on the 2nd unit and cradling the puck like he does, but McDavid moves the puck fast and needs someone who can hammer the puck and get it off quick on those cross ice passes.

Drai is also money in front of the net on powerplay and he would probably put up more points if he could get rebounds from better shots.

But going by that Laine thread, how does Puljus stats look like, league wise and compared to other rookies?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Drai is also money in front of the net on powerplay and he would probably put up more points if he could get rebounds from better shots.

But going by that Laine thread, how does Puljus stats look like, league wise and compared to other rookies?

Yeah Drai is a good "bumper" on the PP in the slot with either Lucic or Maroon as the net front presence. The only thing missing from the top PP unit is a big RH shot, and hopefully our coaches figure it out sooner or later.

He has solid advanced stats in terms of league wide. 55.74% CF, 53.50% SF, 53.03% SCF, and 54.41% HDCF. Gets pretty average zone starts for an offensive player at 60% OZone. Basically has worse advanced stats than Matthews and Tkachuk, but better than Laine. Still doing well in that regard. The goals are going to come and likely in bunches at some point. Theres just no way he can keep shooting below 3%.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah Drai is a good "bumper" on the PP in the slot with either Lucic or Maroon as the net front presence. The only thing missing from the top PP unit is a big RH shot, and hopefully our coaches figure it out sooner or later.

He has solid advanced stats in terms of league wide. 55.74% CF, 53.50% SF, 53.03% SCF, and 54.41% HDCF. Gets pretty average zone starts for an offensive player at 60% OZone. Basically has worse advanced stats than Matthews and Tkachuk, but better than Laine. Still doing well in that regard. The goals are going to come and likely in bunches at some point. Theres just no way he can keep shooting below 3%.

Thanks.
Not bad numbers, I'm guessing his numbers for last 4 games look better than that.

On the Arizona stream they were talking about how Gretzky(being Gretzky) :laugh: had praised him and how Jesse reminded of Kurri, but on a bigger body.
Kid from Finland has the chance to spent time with McDavid and Gretzky, things could be worse :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks.
Not bad numbers, I'm guessing his numbers for last 4 games look better than that.

On the Arizona stream they were talking about how Gretzky(being Gretzky) :laugh: had praised him and how Jesse reminded of Kurri, but on a bigger body.
Kid from Finland has the chance to spent time with McDavid and Gretzky, things could be worse :laugh:

Haha yeah. I think Edmonton was the perfect landing spot for him (no offence to Columbus). He gets to grow with a young team, and more than likely play the next 10 years at least on the wing of the next face of the NHL. Gets to be around a lot of the old Oiler greats as they seem to be involved a lot more with the team in recent years. And most of all I think the fanbase is perfect for a kid like Jesse. You can see his love and passion for the game and just how hard he works out there every night. Edmonton fans appreciate that, and when this team does get back into the playoffs this fanbase rivals any as one of the best cities to play a playoff series in. The new rink only adds to that.

Future's bright for Jesse, and I know our fanbase is going love him for many years.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Jesse is playing great right now. Won't take long for it to translate to the scoreboard.

He has a 4 game point streak. This is without pp time. He's gonna explode when McLellan is finished with his "rookie respect" period and puts Pulju where he has made the most damage during his career.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He has a 4 game point streak. This is without pp time. He's gonna explode when McLellan is finished with his "rookie respect" period and puts Pulju where he has made the most damage during his career.

Yeah, i was kinda talking about goals. He has had some chances, just no luck. Yet. I hope McLellan doesn't separate him from McDavid. The line is doing as well as ever and building chemistry between those two is important, since they are going to be playing together a LOT.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Haha yeah. I think Edmonton was the perfect landing spot for him (no offence to Columbus). He gets to grow with a young team, and more than likely play the next 10 years at least on the wing of the next face of the NHL. Gets to be around a lot of the old Oiler greats as they seem to be involved a lot more with the team in recent years. And most of all I think the fanbase is perfect for a kid like Jesse. You can see his love and passion for the game and just how hard he works out there every night. Edmonton fans appreciate that, and when this team does get back into the playoffs this fanbase rivals any as one of the best cities to play a playoff series in. The new rink only adds to that.

Future's bright for Jesse, and I know our fanbase is going love him for many years.

I remember lot of fans call him a bust and laugh at him when Edmonton picked him, but you could tell Edmonton was the team he wanted to go. Like you said Jesse loves the game, and he got to go to a city where they love the game like he does.

The duo is going to be magic and they are only 19y and 18y, so many years to watch them.

I doubt the glass inside NHL arenas is so frail that it cannot sustain few misplaced shots.

Must be tough to hear how well JP is playing and how well he has developed during the 20 game season.

He didn't get a point against Colorado, which could be said to be a bit of a miracle due to how well that line played, again.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015

I'm not 100% about this, but I've understood that Tornio and Edmonton do have certain similarities that might be offsetting to some people, but for someone like Puljujärvi they could be a bit nostalgic even, or at least not a problem. Things like the weather being cold and dark for large parts of the year, living close to heavy industry, etc. Of course relatively speaking Tornio is quite a bit smaller town compared to the other Finnish cities than what Edmonton is to the rest of Canada.

Edit: Well now that I checked how high Edmonton is on the map, it's not all that up north. You probably even have proper nighttime in the summer. :laugh:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not 100% about this, but I've understood that Tornio and Edmonton do have certain similarities that might be offsetting to some people, but for someone like Puljujärvi they could be a bit nostalgic even, or at least not a problem. Things like the weather being cold and dark for large parts of the year, living close to heavy industry, etc. Of course relatively speaking Tornio is quite a bit smaller town compared to the other Finnish cities than what Edmonton is to the rest of Canada.

Edit: Well now that I checked how high Edmonton is on the map, it's not all that up north. You probably even have proper nighttime in the summer. :laugh:

Lol can't say I know a lot about Finnish geography, but yeah thats somewhat accurate. Edmonton is a fairly heavy industrial city, but is starting to urbanize a little more (especially the downtown area with the new arena). Weather is probably similar, although its been quite warm this fall, but generally temperatures range from 0 to -40 (not often this bad) celsius throughout the Fall, Winter, and early Spring. We do get proper nighttime in summer lmao, but right about now the sun is down and its "nighttime" by 4-4:30pm, so during the winters we get that.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So is PooParty going to be a player or what? I drafted him in my keeper league and I'm wondering if I should flip him for someone else.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So is PooParty going to be a player or what? I drafted him in my keeper league and I'm wondering if I should flip him for someone else.

4 points in the last 4 games and ton of scoring chances.
He could breakout soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Battle of the two Finns went apparently to Puljujärvi who continued his upward momentum, setting up McDavid for one hell of a night.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
18 year old, knows no english, alone in a foreign country for the first time. Why isn't he playing the hockey of his life already?

Next year is going to be his breakout year, you wanted it or not, persenaama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad