RW Jesse Puljujärvi (2016, 4th, EDM) VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just an update from first on-ice day of camp. He skated on a line with Pouliot and Letestu. Letestu obviously being a placeholder until Nuge, McDavid, and Draisaitl are back, which for the first 2 won't be until Tuesday so they'll be missing the split squad pre-season game on Monday.

Should have a good idea in a few days which line he's going to likely get the chance to make the team on through pre-season. If I had to guess I'd expect it to be Pouliot-Nuge-Puljujarvi that he gets his first crack at it with which will be a fast line with some good 2-way guys to help Jesse out, but also more than enough skill for him to flourish offensively.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just an update from first on-ice day of camp. He skated on a line with Pouliot and Letestu. Letestu obviously being a placeholder until Nuge, McDavid, and Draisaitl are back, which for the first 2 won't be until Tuesday so they'll be missing the split squad pre-season game on Monday.

Should have a good idea in a few days which line he's going to likely get the chance to make the team on through pre-season. If I had to guess I'd expect it to be Pouliot-Nuge-Puljujarvi that he gets his first crack at it with which will be a fast line with some good 2-way guys to help Jesse out, but also more than enough skill for him to flourish offensively.

Pouliot-Nuge-Pulju could be a good line. Only issue is Nuge will likely be getting the heaviest defensive match ups, I'd like to shelter Pulju a bit more.

I think a sizeable portion, if not the vast majority at HFOil want to see Drai-Pulju on the 3rd line. A 3rd line of Pouliot-Drai-Pulju could be among the top 3rd lines in the NHL. Also it lets Maroon or Lucic play with Nuge and gives Nuge some muscle on his line.

Lots of options, our top 9 hasn't been this deep in over a decade.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Did anyone say anything about how he looked out there?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maroon-McDavid-Yakupov
Lucic-RNH-Eberle
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Puljujärvi

That top 9 would be tough to beat. The reason McDavid gets the "weak" wingers is because he worked so well with them in the past and so that this way they could really spread the wealth.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pouliot-Nuge-Pulju could be a good line. Only issue is Nuge will likely be getting the heaviest defensive match ups, I'd like to shelter Pulju a bit more.

I think a sizeable portion, if not the vast majority at HFOil want to see Drai-Pulju on the 3rd line. A 3rd line of Pouliot-Drai-Pulju could be among the top 3rd lines in the NHL. Also it lets Maroon or Lucic play with Nuge and gives Nuge some muscle on his line.

Lots of options, our top 9 hasn't been this deep in over a decade.

Yeah it might be a better option, but at the same time it depends what happens with Yakupov/Versteeg. If Yak wins a spot in the top 9, I wouldn't want to see him on Nuge's line taking the hard assignments. I still think McDavid will face pretty high quality of competition and I think his 2-way game is well on its way to rounding itself out. Same goes with Draisaitl, he plays a pretty responsible game with and without the puck. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if the load was spread out between the 3 lines because I think all 3 centres can handle facing tougher competition on some nights.

The reason I kind of like the Pouliot-Nuge-Pulju idea is it gives him 2 experienced players who can help him out and cover for him as he gets some of the rookie mistakes out of his system. It also give him 2 guys who can really skate and create offensively.

Did anyone say anything about how he looked out there?

Didn't hear a whole lot out of how players looked at the camp today, probably hear a bit more in the coming days. All we've heard so far is that Griffin Reinhart looks faster out there which is completely off-topic, but also good news lol. That and Maroon trimmed 25 pounds off his off-season weight (which was probably around or north of 240lbs) and looks to be in the best shape of his life. That could have some implications if Jesse gets a look with Draisaitl and Maroon because hopefully Maroon will be a step quicker with a little better stamina to keep up with those 2.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Maroon-McDavid-Yakupov
Lucic-RNH-Eberle

That top 9 would be tough to beat. The reason McDavid gets the "weak" wingers is because he worked so well with them in the past and so that this way they could really spread the wealth.

In theory it could work, but in reality its almost a sure thing that McDavid will start with Lucic and Eberle. After that its pretty up in the air at which wingers RNH and Draisaitl will get. Some combination of Maroon and Pouliot on the left side, and Puljujarvi, Yakupov, Versteeg, Kassian on the right. Also a few dark horses in camp for a top 9 winger spot would be Caggiula and Slepyshev, but I think they're more likely to be first call-up options unless they blow the doors off in a major way in pre-season.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah it might be a better option, but at the same time it depends what happens with Yakupov/Versteeg. If Yak wins a spot in the top 9, I wouldn't want to see him on Nuge's line taking the hard assignments. I still think McDavid will face pretty high quality of competition and I think his 2-way game is well on its way to rounding itself out. Same goes with Draisaitl, he plays a pretty responsible game with and without the puck. For that reason I wouldn't be surprised if the load was spread out between the 3 lines because I think all 3 centres can handle facing tougher competition on some nights.

The reason I kind of like the Pouliot-Nuge-Pulju idea is it gives him 2 experienced players who can help him out and cover for him as he gets some of the rookie mistakes out of his system. It also give him 2 guys who can really skate and create offensively.

Good point, that line could be lethal. It looks like Pulju is well on his way to earning a spot, he looks NHL ready. His speed wows me, especially for a guy that is 6'4, it's rare you see a guy that big who can skate that fast. His passing has also been very impressive thus far. Still needs to keep it up and show it against NHL competition, but if he plays like he can, he'll make the squad.

Competition is tight on the wings, Versteeg may not even make the squad. Yak looks to have had a good offseason but he isn't guaranteed anything, he's going to have to earn a spot on the opening day roster.

I love the options we have, with McDavid-Nuge-Drai as our 1-2-3 down the middle, someone is getting a mismatch.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Good point, that line could be lethal. It looks like Pulju is well on his way to earning a spot, he looks NHL ready. His speed wows me, especially for a guy that is 6'4, it's rare you see a guy that big who can skate that fast. His passing has also been very impressive thus far. Still needs to keep it up and show it against NHL competition, but if he plays like he can, he'll make the squad.

Competition is tight on the wings, Versteeg may not even make the squad. Yak looks to have had a good offseason but he isn't guaranteed anything, he's going to have to earn a spot on the opening day roster.

I love the options we have, with McDavid-Nuge-Drai as our 1-2-3 down the middle, someone is getting a mismatch.

Yeah seeing such a big man skate like that in person is quite astonishing to watch. I could see a situation where Versteeg still gets a contract even if Yak blows the doors off and takes the spot at 3RW. I think Versteeg would be a useful depth guy who can swap around with Hendricks and Kassian and also move up the lineup if needed. At this point I'm pencilling Jesse into the opening night roster after what I've seen from him. Obviously as you said he still needs to prove it, but I strongly believe that nothing is keeping this kid off the roster, especially when you factor in what he brings to our PP.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In theory it could work, but in reality its almost a sure thing that McDavid will start with Lucic and Eberle. After that its pretty up in the air at which wingers RNH and Draisaitl will get. Some combination of Maroon and Pouliot on the left side, and Puljujarvi, Yakupov, Versteeg, Kassian on the right. Also a few dark horses in camp for a top 9 winger spot would be Caggiula and Slepyshev, but I think they're more likely to be first call-up options unless they blow the doors off in a major way in pre-season.

In theory? It worked last season.

In my opinion, it makes no sense to not utilize your 30p players becoming PPGers with McDavid. I doubt the overall impact would be nearly as high with other combinations, as other centers would likely expose Maroon and Yakupov as they have in the past.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
In theory? It worked last season.

In my opinion, it makes no sense to not utilize your 30p players becoming PPGers with McDavid. I doubt the overall impact would be nearly as high with other combinations, as other centers would likely expose Maroon and Yakupov as they have in the past.

Maybe the wrong choice of word. I'm sure it would work, but I also wouldn't expect small sample sizes of 12 games in Yakupov's case and around 12 in Maroon's case to apply over an entire season.

Also I wasn't saying what I personally would do, just that I'm almost 100% positive that the coaching staff intends to start McDavid with Lucic and Eberle. That could change of course if that line doesn't click, but at this point it seems like all signs point towards that being the top line to start.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think this offseason has suggested pretty strongly that Lucic is going to start as McDavids Lw.

Hopefully we get some news this weekend. I've also said that I'd like to see that Dra-Pulju 3rd line go against bottom6 lines but if RNH goes against top lines and is asked to play good defensive game who is the best defensive Rw on Edmontons roster for that spot?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah seeing such a big man skate like that in person is quite astonishing to watch. I could see a situation where Versteeg still gets a contract even if Yak blows the doors off and takes the spot at 3RW. I think Versteeg would be a useful depth guy who can swap around with Hendricks and Kassian and also move up the lineup if needed. At this point I'm pencilling Jesse into the opening night roster after what I've seen from him. Obviously as you said he still needs to prove it, but I strongly believe that nothing is keeping this kid off the roster, especially when you factor in what he brings to our PP.

Agreed.

I think Pulju is on the opening day roster, he was head and shoulders above all the other prospects at the Young Stars Classic. From the 4 teams, he was the best player there and I don't think there's much debate.

He's looked very good on the PP, especially being a right shot which we lack. He's calm and has good vision, his passing he's shown has been noticeable. But again, I want to see it against NHL competition. If he plays the way he can during the pre-season, he'll earn a spot on the opening day lineup.

Still can't believe we got him :D.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Maybe the wrong choice of word. I'm sure it would work, but I also wouldn't expect small sample sizes of 12 games in Yakupov's case and around 12 in Maroon's case to apply over an entire season.

Also I wasn't saying what I personally would do, just that I'm almost 100% positive that the coaching staff intends to start McDavid with Lucic and Eberle. That could change of course if that line doesn't click, but at this point it seems like all signs point towards that being the top line to start.

That's still a reasonably large sample size.

Both Maroon and Yakupov had 3x the Goals for per 60 with McDavid than without.

In my opinion, it'd be smart to try them together and see if it still works rather than going "Well, it probably was a statistical anomaly anyway", as that's quite a massive increase for it to be just a coincidence.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think this offseason has suggested pretty strongly that Lucic is going to start as McDavids Lw.

Hopefully we get some news this weekend. I've also said that I'd like to see that Dra-Pulju 3rd line go against bottom6 lines but if RNH goes against top lines and is asked to play good defensive game who is the best defensive Rw on Edmontons roster for that spot?

Agreed. Lucic will be with McDavid, as you seen at the World Cup, McDavid thrives with big power forwards on his wing. I think many of us want Drai and Pulju together on the 3rd.

Good question about that RW spot with Nuge, that's something we need to figure out. Possibly Versteeg? We'll have to see how the pre-season unfolds.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That's still a reasonably large sample size.

Both Maroon and Yakupov had 3x the Goals for per 60 with McDavid than without.

In my opinion, it'd be smart to try them together and see if it still works rather than going "Well, it probably was a statistical anomaly anyway", as that's quite a massive increase for it to be just a coincidence.

Oh I definitely wasn't saying it was an anomaly, I just meant that I wouldn't expect them to put up 80 points playing on the line all year. I have no doubt that McDavid's going to produce with anyone and can up guys point totals. They didn't ever actually run a Maroon-McDavid-Yak line though it was Pouliot-McDavid-Yak and Maroon-McDavid-Eberle.

I'd be fine with them trying it out and seeing how it looks because then you could run Lucic-Nuge-Eberle and Maroon-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi, I'm just not sure the coaching staff has it in their plans unless the Lucic-McDavid-Eberle line fails to find chemistry.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed. Lucic will be with McDavid, as you seen at the World Cup, McDavid thrives with big power forwards on his wing. I think many of us want Drai and Pulju together on the 3rd.

Good question about that RW spot with Nuge, that's something we need to figure out. Possibly Versteeg? We'll have to see how the pre-season unfolds.

I'm no Versteeg expert I admit that right away, but I don't see him being great on a defensive line. I remember the word frustrating and Versteeg during his last Chicago Cup season.
I think he could be a good depth signing for Edmonton, sign him to play on the 4th line and if someone struggles/injury happens Versteeg jumps into top9 support role no matter Lw or Rw spot.

Hopefully Pulju gets lots of games this pre season and we get a good idea on his defensive game at NHL level.
The way he plays, supports the defense, controlls the play and skates I think he could be one of those rare 18y who could break into lineup pretty smootly.
But with these you can never say anything with 100% quarantee, they need to show it on ice and earn it.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I also don't see him not making the opening night roster if he continues to play the way he performed at the Young Stars Classic (excluding the first game in which I thought he played sloppy and looked nervous). He was just on another level from anyone else and could do practically whatever he wanted with the puck. He still needs to work on some things in his game but overall his play has been very sound fundamentally.

Can't wait until the actual preseason starts on Monday. Been waiting for this for over two months now and it's finally coming.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Honestly at this point probably Versteeg or Puljujarvi. Thats why I don't see them just piling the tough assignments only on Nuge, I think it will be more of a defence by committee effort. If anything the 4th line probably gets heavy D-zone starts and PK, and at the end of the day other teams are going to be matching their best D pairings at least against McDavid when they can because you simply can't let him feed on middle or bottom pairing D all night. The forward groups they face is really dependant on how the opposing team deploys their lines. If they put their #1 line out as both a shutdown and scoring line then McDavid is going to be getting those matchups any chance they can. If they're using a shutdown line for McDavid, then Nuge and Drai will likely be getting the #1 offensive line matches.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm no Versteeg expert I admit that right away, but I don't see him being great on a defensive line.
I think he could be a good depth signing for Edmonton, sign him to play on the 4th line and if someone struggles/injury happens Versteeg jumps into top9 support role no matter Lw or Rw spot.

Hopefully Pulju gets lots of games this pre season and we get a good idea on his defensive game at NHL level.
The way he plays, supports the defense, controlls the play and skates I think he could be one of those rare 18y who could break into lineup pretty smootly.
But with these you can never say anything with 100% quarantee, they need to show it on ice and earn it.

Exactly, he's looked good defensively so far in the 3 games. Numerous strips and creating lots of turnovers, but the competition isn't as high obviously as the NHL. He definitely looks defensively responsible and understands positioning and defensive responsibilities.

He's exceeded expectations so far, still want to keep the pressure low on him. It'll be good to see how he does in the pre-season games against NHL players. Can't help but smile thinking about this kids future with us, hopefully he goes out and earns a spot.

Scary to think how good he can be in 3 years.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I also don't see him not making the opening night roster if he continues to play the way he performed at the Young Stars Classic (excluding the first game in which I thought he played sloppy and looked nervous). He was just on another level from anyone else and could do practically whatever he wanted with the puck. He still needs to work on some things in his game but overall his play has been very sound fundamentally.

Can't wait until the actual preseason starts on Monday. Been waiting for this for over two months now and it's finally coming.

With his speed and vision, his game adapts very well to the North American game and smaller ice. I think his game might actually be better suited to NA than European ice.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
With his speed and vision, his game adapts very well to the North American game and smaller ice. I think his game might actually be better suited to NA than European ice.

Yeah, and also his ability to play in tight is excellent. Vital skill to have in the NHL and smaller rink.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Maroon-McDavid-Yakupov
Lucic-RNH-Eberle

Good god. To think Edmonton's forward lineup for this year could have been:

1st overall-1st overall-1st overall
Lucic-1st overall-Eberle
4th overall-4th overall-4th overall

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah, and also his ability to play in tight is excellent. Vital skill to have in the NHL and smaller rink.

His acceleration and elite skating will be crucial skills on top of that. He was one of the top skaters in the draft, scary considering his size.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

One thing I actually really liked about him against the Bears is how well he uses his stick positioning with the puck to open up passing lanes for himself. He'll often put the puck way ahead of himself near the defender and then flip a little back hand pass through the opening he created so that the defender can't get a stick on it to break up the pass. That constant changing of the angles to create passing lanes for himself is something you don't see a lot of players do and really shows just how well he understands the game.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Good god. To think Edmonton's forward lineup for this year could have been:

1st overall-1st overall-1st overall
Lucic-1st overall-Eberle
4th overall-4th overall-4th overall

Leon's a 3rd overall, but yeah its insane lol. Too bad the past management didn't know how to build a team around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad