Prospect Info: RW - Jake Richard, 170th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
"A source" called him a power forward. Maybe that source saw it stylistically? Did you have a different opinion of his style? Not being snarky we're all just trying to get to know these guys.
I've watched him alot. He's the furthest thing from a powerforward in my opinion. His game is full of skill deception and IQ. Sees the ice and distributes the puck at a relatively high end level and has unbelievable in tight scoring instincts. I kind of see some ondrej palat or andre burakovsky in his game with his skill level. But he's not a big north south physical powerforward type.

kid is also automatic in shootouts fwiw lol

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I liked what Fortson said about him.

I like drafting players that we don't have to rush, especially given how damn many forwards we have drafted the past two years.

He seems like Quinn in the sense that he just blew up as far as production. Thats good.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I've watched him alot. He's the furthest thing from a powerforward in my opinion. His game is full of skill deception and IQ. Sees the ice and distributes the puck at a relatively high end level and has unbelievable in tight scoring instincts. I kind of see some ondrej palat or andre burakovsky in his game with his skill level. But he's not a big north south physical powerforward type.

Love me some Burakovsky, so sign me up

TedFlash08

Previously known as kenabnrmal
May 24, 2019
To really wrap your head around Richard, you need to understand the context. Despite his dad's background in hockey, he didn't truly start playing till 8 or 9. He was the one of worst players on his 13U team. The curve has been incredibly steep, and every step up he makes a massive leap. He's listed at 6'1 but likely not done growing height-wise (dad is 6'4). He's thin, but not likely to stay that way. As the poster above said, definitely not a power forward. He's all skill, reach, deception, and IQ.

All this being said, he needs a huge leap skating-wise and it won't be easy. Most kids aren't able to make that leap, so who knows. Given his track record the past five years, I wouldn't bet against him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To really wrap your head around Richard, you need to understand the context. Despite his dad's background in hockey, he didn't truly start playing till 8 or 9. He was the one of worst players on his 13U team. The curve has been incredibly steep, and every step up he makes a massive leap. He's listed at 6'1 but likely not done growing height-wise (dad is 6'4). He's thin, but not likely to stay that way. As the poster above said, definitely not a power forward. He's all skill, reach, deception, and IQ.

All this being said, he needs a huge leap skating-wise and it won't be easy. Most kids aren't able to make that leap, so who knows. Given his track record the past five years, I wouldn't bet against him.

Thanks for the info!

I wonder if the power forward comment was the person thinking "scores from in front" rather than a player who imposes physically via contact, which is far more the norm.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Was one of my favourite sleepers for the draft. I think we at McKeen's had him higher than anyone. I'll echo what some others in this thread have said. Steep development curve from those that I've chatted with about him. Just keeps getting better. Not a power forward though.

Here was our write up about him:
McKeen's 2022 NHL Draft Guide - From start to finish this year, you would be hard pressed to find a player who improved more in the USHL this season. Richard, a former Florida Alliance player (and teammate of Seamus Casey and Gavin Brindley), started the year struggling to produce in the USHL. He had trouble playing through contact. He looked slow. Plays were dying on his stick. But, with each passing month his game improved and by season’s end, he had become the primary offensive catalyst for Muskegon. The proof is in the production as Richard had 45 points in the final 40 games.

The physical capabilities are not strong at the current moment. There is room for Richard to improve his skating, both in terms of power and grace. There is room for him to be stronger on the puck and a more complete player. But in terms of pure offensive skill and sense, Richard has to be considered one of the best available from the USHL. He manipulates space so well with his quick hands, and despite not being the fleetest of foot, he manages to prolong possession and avoid checks, often drawing in double teams to help slow him down. This is especially true below the goal line, where Richard seems to be in his office. Heading to the University of Connecticut, Richard has tons of time (especially with an August birthday) to improve his skating and conditioning. In fact, it has already improved from the start of the year. What Richard does possess already is innate offensive capabilities. He is a true diamond in the rough with the upside to be one of the best offensive players from this USHL draft class.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Is Richard spending one more year in USHL or going to UConn this fall?
In his presser, Forton said UConn may have indicated they'd be willing to bring Richard in this fall, but UConn don't really want to do that because he's in a good development situation in Muskegon. They'll all revisit talks after development camp, but Forton loves the idea of Richard going back to dominate the USHL even more next year.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Despite his dad's background in hockey, he didn't truly start playing till 8 or 9. He was the one of worst players on his 13U team. The curve has been incredibly steep, and every step up he makes a massive leap.

It feels like we've heard this story before regarding Adams' draftees.................

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It feels like we've heard this story before regarding Adams' draftees.................

Probably a good thing.

I had a coach in high school that cut me, then later that year he played against me in a competitive league and said that he should’ve kept me. I got my revenge the next year by being the only player to score more than one goal :laugh:

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
His hands are tremendous. If he can improve his skating he could be a really good pro player.

He sounds like a bit of a natural. Really interested to see where he is at in a couple years.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You like hearing how often he’s going to that skating coach. They have to have sat him down and told him what he already knows. The difference between becoming a good skater and not is potentially million of dollars.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Calling him a camp stand-out would be maybe an overstatement, but he was noticeable enough for him to get some 'chat time' by Biron et al during the prospects challenge stream.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Love me some Burakovsky, so sign me up

The description sounds a bit like Eric Daze.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
One minute of Richard (Blue #70) clips from the 3v3 dev camp tourney:

His skating didn't look nearly as bad in that 1-minute clip as I had expected. Not McDavid, but not exactly lumbering out there either. Is his skating coach paying off already?

Love the sounds of his development curve through last season. UConn doesn't care what I think, but seeing if he can continue his rapid progress, and possibly dominate, at Muskegon next season would be sensible.

Edit: And I see he was drafted by Oshawa. Richard made a very wise choice going the Muskegon-UConn route instead. Lots of seasoning time ahead of him.

Last edited:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
The account might as well be named Sabres' Birthdays. I dont really get the appeal

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
His skating didn't look nearly as bad in that 1-minute clip as I had expected. Not McDavid, but not exactly lumbering out there either. Is his skating coach paying off already?

Love the sounds of his development curve through last season. UConn doesn't care what I think, but seeing if he can continue his rapid progress, and possibly dominate, at Muskegon next season would be sensible.

Edit: And I see he was drafted by Oshawa. Richard made a very wise choice going the Muskegon-UConn route instead. Lots of seasoning time ahead of him.
Pretty slick hands and an active stick. Gotta have good edge work to have those pay off

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The account might as well be named Sabres' Birthdays. I dont really get the appeal

I can’t post much on it when there’s not really that many off-season trades or free agent signings from prior years. When I post, it’s things that involve the Sabres or former players or picks that happened that day. If it’s only a birthday, then that’s all that gets posted.

For comparison, the next trade or signing isn’t until Randy Cunneyworth signing as a free agent in 1998 on August 27th.

Reactions: jc17

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I can’t post much on it when there’s not really that many off-season trades or free agent signings from prior years. When I post, it’s things that involve the Sabres or former players or picks that happened that day. If it’s only a birthday, then that’s all that gets posted.

For comparison, the next trade or signing isn’t until Randy Cunneyworth signing as a free agent in 1998 on August 27th.
Ohh, that makes sense. Offseason is tough, we need a 12 month league haha

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3