RW Gabriel Gagne - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2015, 36th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Gabriel is having a great start to this years season. So far in 6 matches he is PPG with 3 assists and three goals. The lanky 6'5 sniper plays a smart game and doesn't really take many bad penalties. Still a lacking consistency in his physical play but if this kid can put everything together he will be a helluva player. Anyone else have any opinions on this kid? Any other posters watched him play? My short assessment is solely based off of maybe 7 games last year and 3 this year.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
watched him 3 times this year and was not really impressed. He looks pretty awkward all around. Skating needs a lot of work and he has only average puck skills. Relatively soft for a guy who is 6.05. His shot looked pretty ordinary to me aswell. Hockey sense probably is not bad and he has some potential, but I do not really see him being any more than a late round project right now.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
The kid is still rough around the edges but one thing is that he has earned his coach's trust. He's used in various situations. Plays the PK, PP (even on the point from time to time). That said, his game is pretty basic, get in front of the net, screen the goalie or get open in the slot. Today he basically created Miceli's goal by screening the goalie and battling in front of the net. He uses his long reach on defense. Kid is really tall.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
How did you think Mantha looked at 16 and 17?

6'5 scorers dont grow on trees.

Like it or not if this kid has a solid progression he will go early.

I do agree though that he looks kinda awkward, but he has been producing since he's entered the league and NHL GMs are drooling all over anyone who is above 6'2.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
The kid is still rough around the edges but one thing is that he has earned his coach's trust. He's used in various situations. Plays the PK, PP (even on the point from time to time). That said, his game is pretty basic, get in front of the net, screen the goalie or get open in the slot. Today he basically created Miceli's goal by screening the goalie and battling in front of the net. He uses his long reach on defense. Kid is really tall.

This is the attitude to take with Gagne. He's coming off a bit bland with other high powered Q players for the 2015 NHL Draft, but if he can be a PPG player now like this there is pretty big potential.

My gut tells me he is not in top shape or repetition yet as he looked much better last year in the middle and towards the end of the season. I don't think he's playing as well as he can.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
RW Gabriel Gagné - Victoriaville Tigres, QMJHL (2015, 36th, OTT)

Thought he certainly deserved a thread. I'm very high on Gagné.

Giant, goal scoring winger.

He's got very good hockey IQ, has a knack for getting into the high scoring areas, hard and accurate shot, shot the puck a lot. Good puck protection down low, and although he is a shooter/goal scorer, has very solid vision. Good skater, fast in straight line.

Still has a very lanky frame, he's very raw and has very good upside, IMO.

He currently has 24g, 13a, 37pts in 43gp.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Of all the scouting reports ive read of him it seems like if he can put it together he can be a real gem later in this draft. I feel like some team will draft him in the late 2nd.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Has been traded to the Shawinigan Cataractes. Huge acquisition for the Cats and it's also gonna be good for Gagné to play with some better players such as Beauvillier, Yan, Girard, etc.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
Has been traded to the Shawinigan Cataractes. Huge acquisition for the Cats and it's also gonna be good for Gagné to play with some better players such as Beauvillier, Yan, Girard, etc.

Why such a light return ? Cats gave up almost nothing for a 6'5 2015 NHL 2nd round pick ? I get the fact he was injured for a while but still...

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Why such a light return ? Cats gave up almost nothing for a 6'5 2015 NHL 2nd round pick ? I get the fact he was injured for a while but still...

Yeah, it was a robbery by the Cats GM. I thought he would have fetch minimum a 1st Round Pick but... really nice, we get Gagné (yes I am a Cats fan) and we still have assets to get Timashov, that forward group is gonna be insane!

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Yeah, it was a robbery by the Cats GM. I thought he would have fetch minimum a 1st Round Pick but... really nice, we get Gagné (yes I am a Cats fan) and we still have assets to get Timashov, that forward group is gonna be insane!

From what I have heard Gagne has been injured most of the year... this likely hurt his value.'

As for the Cats, they picked up Fitzgerald, which should be a huge boost, especially to their powerplay. He's got a lethal shot, especially if he can sneak down between the circles.

I heard about them trying to get Timashov to waive his NTC to go there... makes me wonder why Meier hasn't been explored? too expensive? Or maybe Meier has already been dealt and it hasn't been reported. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
From what I have heard Gagne has been injured most of the year... this likely hurt his value.'

As for the Cats, they picked up Fitzgerald, which should be a huge boost, especially to their powerplay. He's got a lethal shot, especially if he can sneak down between the circles.

I heard about them trying to get Timashov to waive his NTC to go there... makes me wonder why Meier hasn't been explored? too expensive? Or maybe Meier has already been dealt and it hasn't been reported. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Yeah Fitzgerald is a great acquisition too, him along with Girard will be dangerous on the powerplay, with Beauvillier, Yan and Gagné or even Timashov if he finally waives his NTC (by the way I didn't knew that NTC exists in the CHL).

And I fairly think that Meier will get traded soon, it's probably his last season in the Q so the Mooseheads needs to get some assets for him, his value should be ****** high!

And for Gagné, his value probably went down because of his injury but I mean... a 3rd + Phelan for a player who was 7 spots away from the first round in the last NHL Draft!? He should have bring back way more! But still, I won't complain! ;)

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Any fans of Victoriaville or Shawinigan want to shed some light on his season? I there reason to be concerned with him at the next level or did the injuries and subsequent trade likely affect his numbers a bit. Good playoffs it seems.

How has he looked?

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Any fans of Victoriaville or Shawinigan want to shed some light on his season? I there reason to be concerned with him at the next level or did the injuries and subsequent trade likely affect his numbers a bit. Good playoffs it seems.

How has he looked?

He was injured most part of the season. As a Shawinigan fan, I saw Gagné a couple of time and I really love what I saw from him. He has a big body and he is able to use it properly. Skating isn't his strenght but not really a weakness either. He has an incredible wrist shot and he is able to deke well even if he is a tall man. Last game I saw from him (against Charlottetown in Game #6), he scored a beauty on the powerplay! He beated the defenseman with a great deke and deliver a big shot. He is honestly a threat on the powerplay!

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Looks like he's been between the AHL and ECHL. Does this guy have NHL upside still? Can anyone chime in on how he's looked this year?

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Looks like he's been between the AHL and ECHL. Does this guy have NHL upside still? Can anyone chime in on how he's looked this year?

Didn't see anything of him this season but I gotta say, stats wise, he performs waaaay under my expectations.

He should have played another season in the Q, he was with the Shawinigan Cataractes who has a good group of guys, and they wanted him back. I don't think another year in junior would have hurt his development.

But sometimes, tall guys like him take more time to develop properly, so I guess we should wait and see before judging if he still has a NHL upside.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Watched him play in Binghamton this year and he's basically been invisible, to me at least.

Granted, he is buried on the 4th line of one of the worst AHL teams I've ever seen assembled. Gretzky would have a hard time scoring with the linemates Gagne is forced to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad