RW Gabriel Gagne - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2015, 36th, OTT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He looked ok tonight in the first pre-season game. He definately needs to fill out though, he looked quite lanky. It looks like he earned some time on the 2nd PP unit as well.

Is he still considered a bust by people?

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
He looked ok tonight in the first pre-season game. He definately needs to fill out though, he looked quite lanky. It looks like he earned some time on the 2nd PP unit as well.

Is he still considered a bust by people?

Gagne was considered a long term project when the Sens drafted him, they will be patient with his development, he needs to fill out the 6'5" frame while his brains continually adjust to the growth. Once in sync, in the next couple of years, we will see his true potential as a pro.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
How's he doing now? Haven't heard much about him lately. I was a fan at the draft.

He showed some progression as he picked up his play when he returned to the AHL from the ECHL late in the year.

Only saw him in the first pre-season game so far. He had good foot speed, a very hard but unaccurate shot, and was a hound around the net. As I said a few posts up, he still looks lanky as hell and needs to bulk up. He should get a bigger role in the AHL this year, that'll go a long way in evaluating him I think.

I'm by no means a scout nor do I claim to be, so someone with some scouting skill should chime in here.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Idk if a 2nd Round Pick counts as a bust.
He's a bust but he can shoot and he can score... Pretty much every other single aspect of playing hockey he is an adventure... I think he can play AHL somewhere in some teams lineups but there comes a time when you have to give up on some projects and he was always a project

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
He's a bust but he can shoot and he can score... Pretty much every other single aspect of playing hockey he is an adventure... I think he can play AHL somewhere in some teams lineups but there comes a time when you have to give up on some projects and he was always a project
I just don’t see 2nd Round Picks as sure things, so if they don’t develop into the players their advertised as, I just personally don’t think their a bust, disappointment, yes. Bust, eh I reserve that word for 1st Rounders, cause teams always spend lots of money on bonuses, and max rookie contracts on those guys so you expect to get a good player with a 1st Round Pick.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
This is one of those; you shouldn't draft (rank) a player just because he has size, things.
I wonder... if Hurricanes didn't pick Sebastian Aho, Senators still picked Gabriel Gagne, over Aho?
- BTW. Gagne was ranked higher back in 2015 draft what Aho was :eek:
(even thou Aho was already playing in the Sm-Liiga, had represented team Finland at the WJC & WJC u18).

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Wooof. It’s crazy how the European leagues are still under scouted to an extent. You think teams would have learned their lessons by now.
This is one of those; you shouldn't draft (rank) a player just because he has size, things.
I wonder... if Hurricanes didn't pick Sebastian Aho, Senators still picked Gabriel Gagne, over Aho?
- BTW. Gagne was ranked higher back in 2015 draft what Aho was :eek:
(even thou Aho was already playing in the Sm-Liiga, had represented team Finland at the WJC & WJC u18).

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You can't heavily mock an organization for missing on a guy like Aho in the 2nd round by taking Gagne. If Carolina knew Aho was going to be what Aho was, they would have taken him over, Hanifin. Now, you can blame Ottawa for trading up, and missing on a pick in the early 30's. But, picks in the 30-40 range become something of value (I'll classify that as a top 9 forward, top 5 D or starting goalie) at-best somewhere between 20% and 30% of the time. Entering their D+5 season, even in a draft as deep as 2015, only 4 of the 11 players selected between 30-40 look like long-term NHL (Fischer, Dermott, Aho, and Carlo). Maybe a couple are late bloomers or get past injury issues.

Wooof. It’s crazy how the European leagues are still under scouted to an extent. You think teams would have learned their lessons by now.
This is flawed logic. Star NHLers get drafted late out of all leagues, and disappointments out of Euro leagues get drafted high too. Mistakes are made on all fronts, which is going to happen when you are trying to project 17-year-olds. Is the Q under-scouted because Bergeron went in the 2nd? or Marchand in the 3rd? is the USHL under-scouted because Gaudreau went in the 4th?

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Never liked the pick, but it's probably the same area scout that pushed for the Sens to select Chabot in the same draft (and Chlapik, for that matter), which was a home run. With that context, I don't mind them taking a swing on Gagne's tools, which were definitely there.

It's also not like there are a ton of home runs in the rest of that second round either. Aho went the pick before Gagne, and while Carlo went the pick after, the rest of the second round is pretty spotty. Guys like Dunn, Andersson and Cernak should settle in as good second pairing guys, but virtually all the forwards who have cracked the NHL were toolsy but risky like Gagne at the time (eg. Sprong, Greenway, Hintz, Greer). It's a good example of why the relative value of second round picks in a shallow draft isn't that different from the mid to late rounds.

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
Never liked the pick, but it's probably the same area scout that pushed for the Sens to select Chabot in the same draft (and Chlapik, for that matter), which was a home run. With that context, I don't mind them taking a swing on Gagne's tools, which were definitely there.

It's also not like there are a ton of home runs in the rest of that second round either. Aho went the pick before Gagne, and while Carlo went the pick after, the rest of the second round is pretty spotty. Guys like Dunn, Andersson and Cernak should settle in as good second pairing guys, but virtually all the forwards who have cracked the NHL were toolsy but risky like Gagne at the time (eg. Sprong, Greenway, Hintz, Greer). It's a good example of why the relative value of second round picks in a shallow draft isn't that different from the mid to late rounds.

2015 second round is actually amazing

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Since he is from Laval, I wouldnt be surprised a bit the Rocket organization reach him for a AHL try-out or even a contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad