RW Emile Poirier (2013, 22nd, CGY)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I can't predict what Poirier will be, but I would say he looks better on the ice than he looks on the stat sheet, unlike for example Klimchuk or Vey who look better on the stat sheet than they do on the ice.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Haven't seen him since the Q, but, reading on him, wonder if he could develop his career like Jason Chimera did ? Speedy, physical forechecker who can chip-in occasionally. Would perhaps not be what was envisioned of him, but wouldn't be bad at all.

that's a good comparison actually

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I very much doubt he'll ever be an NHL regular.

I wouldn't put the nail in his coffin just yet. Emile has been battling alcoholism over the last 2 years and finally got help for it. Reaching out to Brad Treliving in February, he spent 2 months in the NHL's treatment program in California where he remained in the care of professionals at he facility. Brian McGrattan has been helping him as well. Hopefully he can keep his life on the right track and get his career going.

Here is the article I got the info from.

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/07/fresh-start-poirier-focused-on-future.html

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't put the nail in his coffin just yet. Emile has been battling alcoholism over the last 2 years and finally got help for it. Reaching out to Brad Treliving in February, he spent 2 months in the NHL's treatment program in California where he remained in the care of professionals at he facility. Brian McGrattan has been helping him as well. Hopefully he can keep his life on the right track and get his career going.

Here is the article I got the info from.

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/07/fresh-start-poirier-focused-on-future.html

Hopefully he can beat the demon.

Karl Childers*

Jun 18, 2017
Good for him for getting help. He is still a very young man so there's plenty of time to right the hockey career once he gets his life back in order.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thought it was odd when Calgary traded their best asset at the time and selected Poirer with the pick.

Poirier was actually a great pick, don't know why that was odd. He has excellent tools, his issues have been because of off ice problems. He should have been playing last year if it weren't for his challenges.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
It's hard not to root for a guy like Poirier. I remember watching him in Gatineau and always thought he could have been a real successful winger in the NHL. Hopefully he's successful with regards to his battle with the bottle because it's something that never ends. It's going to be every day for the rest of his lfe. I fo have high hopes he can turn it around because there's quite a bit of skill and compete in what Poirier brings to the table. There's also quite a bit of determination in that package. He seems to have a good support system in place and that's really the basis for recovering.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I really think that Poirier will make it. Kid just needs to stay on track now. He has speed up the ying yang, good hands, good hockey sense, can play PK and PP, and has a lot of grity/physicality to his game. I think he translates really well to the NHL. With that being said, I am not sure he is top 6 (wouldn't necessarily say no to that) or bottom 6. At least he is versatile enough to give him more options.

I still like him more as a prospect than Shinkaruk (now that we have both of these prospects in the organization I can't be accused of bias here). I really like Poirier's overall skill-set. Shinkaruk just isn't skilled enough to become a top 6, and he is too small/soft to be a traditional bottom-six guy (though the NHL is changing that).

I would still bet on Poirier having the better career. I would bet that Poirier does become an NHL player.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I really think that Poirier will make it. Kid just needs to stay on track now. He has speed up the ying yang, good hands, good hockey sense, can play PK and PP, and has a lot of grity/physicality to his game. I think he translates really well to the NHL. With that being said, I am not sure he is top 6 (wouldn't necessarily say no to that) or bottom 6. At least he is versatile enough to give him more options.

I still like him more as a prospect than Shinkaruk (now that we have both of these prospects in the organization I can't be accused of bias here). I really like Poirier's overall skill-set. Shinkaruk just isn't skilled enough to become a top 6, and he is too small/soft to be a traditional bottom-six guy (though the NHL is changing that).

I would still bet on Poirier having the better career. I would bet that Poirier does become an NHL player.

Poirier could enter the NHL this season and be one of the fastest guys out there. Give him another year or two to put things together. I really hope he can get there.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I really think that Poirier will make it. Kid just needs to stay on track now. He has speed up the ying yang, good hands, good hockey sense, can play PK and PP, and has a lot of grity/physicality to his game. I think he translates really well to the NHL.

Most of this is fault, especially the good hockey sense stuff....the guy has speed. That's about it.

Unless he gets himself together and develop, he is a bust and it's his fault but nobody else.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Most of this is fault, especially the good hockey sense stuff....the guy has speed. That's about it.

Unless he gets himself together and develop, he is a bust and it's his fault but nobody else.
Most of what is his fault ? I'm willing to wager you don't know jack **** about his personal life or what he's done as a player to get where he is, do you think everyone is predetermined to make the NHL and if they don't, it's their fault and no one else's ? Such an odd statement to make.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

This is such an a****** statement. You know jack**** about his personal life.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Old DFF making a random comment like he knows these guys personally. And wait, it's ultra negative?!

The team went out of its way to provide him the support he needed. It's more than most common people get. If he is so talented as some of you claimed, whose fault is it if he can not make it? It's not negative, it's the truth.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
The team went out of its way to provide him the support he needed. It's more than most common people get. If he is so talented as some of you claimed, whose fault is it if he can not make it? It's not negative, it's the truth.

What the heck are you going on about? Just stop.

It is almost always the individual prospects' fault when they don't make it. Stop trying to sell sun to a desert dweller. Good lord.

He has plenty of good things going for him - including hockey sense. Few people in this world - whether they are famous or not - are able to put their demons behind them without support. You seem to know nothing about addiction issues, and the rest of your post.. I don't even know what your point is.

Bjornar Moxnes

From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Wait, is this the guy the Flames took with the Pens pick from the Iginla trade?

No that's Klimchuk. Before the draft even started I wanted the Flames to trade Backlund and this pick for Tyler Johnson and pick Lindholm with our 6th overall. When Lindholm was already selected and we selected Monahan, I wanted Wennberg to fall to us 22nd overall... Well when Wennberg was selected, I hoped we would get Rychel, and after him Theodore.... So angry we didn't go for Theodore when Feaster finally got to the podium for the 22nd selection and I was like "Who?"

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Stop talking. You just sound like an A+ a****** right now. You know s*** all about Poirier's personal life

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Poirier could enter the NHL this season and be one of the fastest guys out there. Give him another year or two to put things together. I really hope he can get there.

In some interviews, he said he's felt healthy for the first time in a while. I hope he can build upon it. Poirier does seems excited though.

I foresee an Emerson etem career path at best. I was a fan for the first couple years after draft, but even klimchuk has appeared to catch/pass him.

Agreed. But a few seasons ago, Klimchuk was easily the bust out of the two due to completely weird and random injuries. Both seem like they have a chance at being decent middle 6 players in about 2-3 years, but who knows what will happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad