RW Conor Garland - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL (2015, 123rd, ARZ)

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Update ... March 09/15

Games Played: 63
Goals: 31
Assists: 86
+/-: +13
PIMs: 66
PPGs: 4
SHGs: 2
GWGs: 7
SOGs: 5
Pts/Game: 1.86
Shots: 242
Shooting %: 12.8

*41 points in his last 17 games

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
What's with his huge year? Never watched the guy play, but when you compare his stats to last year (or any other year) it's a pretty odd spike

wein

Jul 2, 2013
What's with his huge year? Never watched the guy play, but when you compare his stats to last year (or any other year) it's a pretty odd spike

I don't think its that odd of a spike really, sure no one thought he would lead the Q in scoring but I really don't think anyone thought he would stagnate at slightly over 1 point a game either. I think a lot of Moncton fans thought he would get at least 80 points but he blew that prediction out of the water. He scored over a point a game last year as a 17 year old and 17 points in 26 games as a 16 year old when he was playing almost exclusively on the fourth line. He out scored Eichel when they were playing together at 15. He always been very skilled offensively, but he has just grown a bit, got adjusted to the game and got more ice time with better players.

I think the same can be said for guys like Petan who increased his scoring by like 85 points in one year (35 -->120). Did people really see players like Strome or Marner more than doubling their point totals before this year?

Last edited:

AllInTheGame

Feb 24, 2015
I find it hard to believe anyone is attributing is success to increasing his size, he is still terribly undersized yet is is still overcoming that. The size argument in his case is the biggest load of ignorant horse manu I constantly hear.

The people saying that his increase in strength and size is the reason he improved are probably the same people that said he wssn't big or strong enough to dominate before he proved them wrong. So you are covering your backsides by saying that those two factors are the primary reasons for his production boost. LAME!

I watched him play in the playoffs against Blainville last year and it was easy to see, he was smarter and more skilled than anyone on the ice PERIOD. It was just a matter of time before he blew up. All he needed was a better opportunity, even if he remained at the same size as last year, he would of posted up similar numbers.

The difference this year in his game is the fact that he plays more. The extra minutes are allowing him to optimize his skill-set. Now he has the time to find his rhythm in a game. He uses tricky switch ups with his stick handling and skating so he needed more time in a game to find his beat/timing to be effective. That is the most important aspect of his game is his shiftiness, be it with his hands or skating, it's all about timing and now he can utilize those assets at full capacity. Strength or size barely plays a role in his game....

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
I find it hard to believe anyone is attributing is success to increasing his size, he is still terribly undersized yet is is still overcoming that. The size argument in his case is the biggest load of ignorant horse manu I constantly hear.

The people saying that his increase in strength and size is the reason he improved are probably the same people that said he wssn't big or strong enough to dominate before he proved them wrong. So you are covering your backsides by saying that those two factors are the primary reasons for his production boost. LAME!

I watched him play in the playoffs against Blainville last year and it was easy to see, he was smarter and more skilled than anyone on the ice PERIOD. It was just a matter of time before he blew up. All he needed was a better opportunity, even if he remained at the same size as last year, he would of posted up similar numbers.

The difference this year in his game is the fact that he plays more. The extra minutes are allowing him to optimize his skill-set. Now he has the time to find his rhythm in a game. He uses tricky switch ups with his stick handling and skating so he needed more time in a game to find his beat/timing to be effective. That is the most important aspect of his game is his shiftiness, be it with his hands or skating, it's all about timing and now he can utilize those assets at full capacity. Strength or size barely plays a role in his game....

You do realize even the most skilled players can get out muscled right? Drouin was clearly smarter and more skilled than almost anyone in the Q when he was 16 but he wasn't able to dominate because he wasn't strong enough on his skates yet or a powerful enough skater (comes with strength).

I see your point, but often times skilled players just need a bit of added size and strength to use their skill. It isn't all just black and white when it comes to size and skill.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Garland got his 90th Assist of the season tonight with 3 games left. He's the first person (as far as I can tell) to get 90 Assists in the Q since Radulov in 2006.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Garland got his 90th Assist of the season tonight with 3 games left. He's the first person (as far as I can tell) to get 90 Assists in the Q since Radulov in 2006.

Very impressive, 125 points on the year (35g, 90a). Garland seems to be one of those guys who gained most peoples curiosity throughout the year and now has their full attention -- I know he's had that affect on me.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Very impressive, 125 points on the year (35g, 90a). Garland seems to be one of those guys who gained most peoples curiosity throughout the year and now has their full attention -- I know he's had that affect on me.

I've gotten to see play over the past two years, and I knew he had skill, but his explosion in point production is just not something anyone expected. If he was drafted last year, that team's fans would be super ecstatic right now calling him like a future star or something. I'm just glad a guy who I know is super skilled, is getting some recognition.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
He's definitely worth a 3rd. Guy is shifty as heck. I really thought this was Barbashev's team this year but Garland has been lights out. Helps playing with Barbashev but he isn't a passenger at all.

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
The game didn't mean anything for the Cats so Garland didn't play and Strome put up 6 points to tie Garland for the CHL lead in points.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
How's his skating?

I'd consider it slightly above average but not excellent. His shiftiness , quick movements and smarts more than make up for it. Very slippery player , hard for defenders to contain. Although a small player , extremely hard to knock off the puck. He's incredibly strong for his size and shields the puck well.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
For a guy with so many points, he only had 5 PP goals. Trying to decide if that is impressive or disappointing. :laugh:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I went and seen him the other night, I thought he was obviously skilled but he's so small even against other junior players, I don't think he can make the NHL. He's also an overager.

One guy I seen I was impressed with was #9 Jacobs. Kid is very shifty.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
An "overager" would be a player born in 1994. I know he was draft eligible last year, but "overager" isn't the term I would use.

Yeah, he is not an overager at all. He is in his 18 year old season, same as Meier or Ehlers etc.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I went and seen him the other night, I thought he was obviously skilled but he's so small even against other junior players, I don't think he can make the NHL. He's also an overager.

One guy I seen I was impressed with was #9 Jacobs. Kid is very shifty.

If you weren't impressed with Garland but impressed with Jacob who is the same size , you missed a good hockey game...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If you weren't impressed with Garland but impressed with Jacob who is the same size , you missed a good hockey game...

Never said I wasn't impressed, I just think he's too small to play in the NHL. He gets knocked around and off the puck in junior, nevermind the NHL.

He is obviously the best player on the wildcats IMO. Was player of the game when I went.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad