RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
:DD Andrei Svechnikov... Anyone?

I think he's had a good game and Roderik Jean is not a wise coach. Svechnikov needs adequate linemates and at least 15mins per game. 4th line? Really? That's too much of a good'ol canadian style.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
:DD Andrei Svechnikov... Anyone?

I think he's had a good game and Roderik Jean is not a wise coach. Svechnikov needs adequate linemates and at least 15mins per game. 4th line? Really? That's too much of a good'ol canadian style.
I know you really like to pump russian prospects’ tires but I think Brind’Amour knows more about how to bring up a good young player than you do, with all due respect.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I know you really like to pump russian prospects’ tires but I think Brind’Amour knows more about how to bring up a good young player than you do, with all due respect.
If you knew me well you'd know I am never pumping anyone's tires based on nationality. There are enough cases of Russians who should get benched more. I am really talking about the single case of Svechnikov and what I saw in the opener. Obviously he has the tools to be a full time NHLer by now, not a 10mins prospect. I am not saying the same about Zykov for example.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
If you knew me well you'd know I am never pumping anyone's tires based on nationality. There are enough cases of Russians who should get benched more. I am really talking about the single case of Svechnikov and what I saw in the opener. Obviously he has the tools to be a full time NHLer by now, not a 10mins prospect. I am not saying the same about Zykov for example.

Frankly, Svechnikov has been timid all pre-season (compared to his junior performances) and it continued last night - he's a kid and this is an overwhelming moment in time, so nothing out of the ordinary.

It's no indication on his future potential or a reflection on his 'tools' but rather on his overall package in this exact moment. Even in a week or two, he will be more aggressive and confident.

I thought he played well last night, probably better than at any point in the pre-season but he still missed on some easy open shots. As far as I can see, I thought he was handled appropriately and late in the third when they went to 9 forwards, he was in that group while his linemates were not.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
If we're talking draft, it's pretty ridiculous to predict that Stamkos would have his injury. Pre-injury he's the best of the bunch, not close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Doughty and Hedman are probably ahead of Stamkos and Tavares - although it’s still very close - at this point in time, but in years past it wasn’t even a discussion, the forward was so much better than the defenseman equivalent. Even now, looking back on their careers so far, you’d be hard pressed to justify choosing Doughty and especially Hedman.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Frankly, Svechnikov has been timid all pre-season (compared to his junior performances) and it continued last night - he's a kid and this is an overwhelming moment in time, so nothing out of the ordinary.

It's no indication on his future potential or a reflection on his 'tools' but rather on his overall package in this exact moment. Even in a week or two, he will be more aggressive and confident.

I thought he played well last night, probably better than at any point in the pre-season but he still missed on some easy open shots. As far as I can see, I thought he was handled appropriately and late in the third when they went to 9 forwards, he was in that group while his linemates were not.
I will watch the game tonight. I like players who develop. Let's see how he goes from game to game. Obviously the roster is not cut in stone in Carolina, just like the lines. It will be interesting to see how all those young players and vets gel.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
if you look at their careers, it's pretty evident that Tavares and Stamkos are ahead, and shall remain so. You're just looking at it from a "2018" persepctive, but fail to acknowledge their past success.

Hedman has four top ten in norris(1 win) and one AS1 and one as 2, including a top ten in calders also.
Tavares has two top three in Hart, one AS-1, a top ten selke finish and a top 5 calder finish.

Considering Tavares is going head to head with McDavid, Malkin and Crosby for AS's, his finishes are quite strong.

Doughty has two second AS and two first AS, 8 top 10 in Norris (one win), and a top five in calder.
Stamkos has two second team all-star, two richard, five top-11 in harts, and a top 9 in calder.

Considering Stamkos is going head to head with McDavid, Malkin and crosby, his AS are pretty good, top it off with his Rocket record against Ovi ? Shit.

Keep in mind its easier to be an AS nominee as a defender than it is as a forward, especially as a center, which is the hardest competition throughout history.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
if you look at their careers, it's pretty evident that Tavares and Stamkos are ahead, and shall remain so. You're just looking at it from a "2018" persepctive, but fail to acknowledge their past success.

Hedman has four top ten in norris(1 win) and one AS1 and one as 2, including a top ten in calders also.
Tavares has two top three in Hart, one AS-1, a top ten selke finish and a top 5 calder finish.

Considering Tavares is going head to head with McDavid, Malkin and Crosby for AS's, his finishes are quite strong.

Doughty has two second AS and two first AS, 8 top 10 in Norris (one win), and a top five in calder.
Stamkos has two second team all-star, two richard, five top-11 in harts, and a top 9 in calder.

Considering Stamkos is going head to head with McDavid, Malkin and crosby, his AS are pretty good, top it off with his Rocket record against Ovi ? ****.

Keep in mind its easier to be an AS nominee as a defender than it is as a forward, especially as a center, which is the hardest competition throughout history.

It's not just looking at it from a 2018 perspective and not acknowledging the past. It's about projecting into the future as well. Doughty has been a #1 dman since he was 19 years old playing 28+ minutes per game. He made a Canadian Olympic team at the age of 20. That's unheard of. Dmen take longer to develop which is why Tavares saw success quicker in his career. Hedman will be fighting for the best dman In the world for the foreseeable future. I am confident when they finish their careers both dmen will be viewed as better than their respective counter parts.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's not just looking at it from a 2018 perspective and not acknowledging the past. It's about projecting into the future as well. Doughty has been a #1 dman since he was 19 years old playing 28+ minutes per game. He made a Canadian Olympic team at the age of 20. That's unheard of. Dmen take longer to develop which is why Tavares saw success quicker in his career. Hedman will be fighting for the best dman In the world for the foreseeable future. I am confident when they finish their careers both dmen will be viewed as better than their respective counter parts.
Totally dismissing the centers future though ?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Totally dismissing the centers future though ?

It's not when I project Hedman and Doughty to continue to be better than Stamkos and Tavares. Hedman literally won the Norris last year. He's a top 3 dman in the world playing in all situations .Tavares would have to win the Hart and art Ross for him to be better on that team .

And in a vaccuum no one would rather have Stamkos over Doughty going forward either. Doughty finished second in Norris voting. Lol. They are both top 3 dman in the world

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
It's not when I project Hedman and Doughty to continue to be better than Stamkos and Tavares. Hedman literally won the Norris last year. He's a top 3 dman in the world playing in all situations .Tavares would have to win the Hart and art Ross for him to be better on that team .

And in a vaccuum no one would rather have Stamkos over Doughty going forward either. Doughty finished second in Norris voting. Lol. They are both top 3 dman in the world
This is a thread for A. SVECHNIKOV posts. Would you or MODs please move this Doughty/Stamkos conversation somewhere else? Thanks.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006

Considering Stamkos is going head to head with McDavid, Malkin and crosby, his AS are pretty good, top it off with his Rocket record against Ovi ? ****.

Wait... is someone unironically using All-Star games as a measurement of career success?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is there a reason he is getting basically 4th line usage over the first 2 games? He seems to be generating shots and his line seems to be tilting the ice (although, against weak QOC). I would think a guy with his talent would be given a role higher up in the line-up to start, instead of playing Justin Williams 18 minutes a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad