RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Him along with Zadina are the two best wingers that we've seen in a-while being ranked in the Top 5. I would say they should get the same hype as Patrick Laine, Nail Yakupov, Jonathan Drouin, Jonathan Huberdeau, and even Taylor Hall.

Did you forget about guys like Marner, Nylander, Ehlers? Ya know Marner had higher ppg than all of them in the O right?

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Probably somewhere between Pujl and Laine in that comparison. Would say svechnikov will be a goal scoring winger and dynamic offensive player, but doesn't completely dominate play. Someone that dominates on the pp, but at 5v5 he won't be a possession kind of guy.

his high:
40 goals 41 assists

his low:
25 goals 25 assists

Those are his career high seasons.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
IMO Laine and Hall were better prospects, but he’s still top notch. Similar level to Marner, Pulju, Drouin, Yak, Landeskog, Huberdeau. Most drafts Svechnikov wouldn’t go 1st overall - I expect him to go in the 2-5 range in 2018, and if he was in a draft with a top notch centre prospect, he wouldn’t go ahead of them. In contrast, Hall and Laine go 1st overall in the majority of drafts (Laine only went 2nd because Matthews was an exceptionally good prospect, and Hall went 1st over Seguin, who seemed like a likely franchise centre).

I think Svechnikov is the top winger prospect in the 2018 draft, but it’s close. Zadina and Tkachuk are both very good too, both have a shot to go ahead of him.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Behind Hall and likely Laine. Svechnikov I’d consider on par or in the same tier with Marner, Puljujarvi and Drouin. I’d put Zadina and Tkachuk slightly behind them.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
As prospects(keep in mind this is how they where deemed pre-draft and not at some of they’re current development paces)...

League Altering Elite Winger Prospects:

Ovechkin

Franchise Elite Winger Prospects:

Yakupov, Hall, Laine(maybe I was a little high on him as a Jets fan about to pick him but his international status and Playoff/Tournament success as a prospect was better than both Hall and Yakupov, with scouts knowing well that Laine had the best shot since Ovi)

High End Elite Winger Prospects:

Drouin, Svechnikov, Puljujarvi

Elite Winger Prospects:

Tkachuk, Zadina, Huberdeau, Ehlers, Nylander etc...

High End Top Line Winger Prospect:

Connor, Boeser, Rantanen, Tippett, etc..
Did you forget about guys like Marner, Nylander, Ehlers? Ya know Marner had higher ppg than all of them in the O right?
Terribly sorry for just coming up with a few off my head. You two must of completely missed the point of my post LOL.

Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not as high as Laine. Laine's stock only truly started to rise after the WJC, then after the Liiga playoffs he really took off until he reached his high point after being named best fwd at the world's.

Svechnikov never got that bump after the WJC. He's a terrific prospect and talent though. IMO he could go anywhere from #2-#5

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's not even close to Laine.

Really... I think he's somewhat overrated.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Do you not remember the hype surrounding nail tho?

don't be a revisionist.
Yeah, but Nail was a bit like Nolan Patrick last year. Insane hype from the D-1, but didn't quite replicate that level of production in the draft year. Svech has had the better draft year so far, and still had an excellent D-1. There would definitely at least be a lively debate if they were the same year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do you not remember the hype surrounding nail tho?

don't be a revisionist.
Yak wasn’t viewed as on par with Hall who was prior. What happened with him, was he had an amazing d-1 with a healthy Galchenyuk, and a very good draft year but didn’t live up to prior hype. Yak held on to his spot more due to attrition, two of his strong challengers suffered pretty much season long injuries before November (Galchenyuk and Rielly), Ryan Murray missed a good 1/4 of the year and Grigorenkos stock just imploded in the playoffs. He didn’t really rise above the competition as much as the competition never emerged. The best players who didn’t face injury problems that year were Forsberg (have no idea what happened to his stock), Dumba, Griffin Reinhart and Trouba.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
He's not even close to Laine.

Really... I think he's somewhat overrated.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least though if he has more impact to the game than Laine because he has the elite speed and line driving ability that Laine doesn't.

Averaging almost a goal per game as a 17 year-old OHL rookie is damn impressive.

Both are high-end wingers.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
There’s a lot of conflicting reports I’ve read. I keep reading that this draft is strong, but then I’ve read that scouts have called it a really weak draft, so which is it?

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I'd have him over Yakupov and not because of the benefit of hindsight. Yakupov was the probable first overall but not clear cut in a weak draft. If Svechnikov were in that draft I think he goes before Yakupov. Best since Hall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad