Ruutu's goal one of the most AMAZING goals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW8

Feb 10, 2004
Yea.. he just schooled Richards, Gagne and Niedermayer

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Who is this Tumino Ruutu Thorne keeps referring to? :dunno:

Someone smack Thorne. You think someone would correct him. He was even calling Koivu Koivo earlier. :shakehead

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
not sure about "one of the most AMAZING goals... ", but it sure was great.

Swedish commentator afterwards:
"They have compared him to Peter Forsberg before, but I have always laughed. But now..."

:)

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
pb1300 said:
Ive seen. That goal was just absolutely nuts.

The cool thing was that he showed pretty much every facet of the game on that one play:

hustle to get to the puck, strength to go through the 1st check, shiftiness, speed, stickhandling and finally just a perfect hard shot. He was impressing me a lot in this game BEFORE that goal, but he just shot up even more.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Who is this Tumino Ruutu Thorne keeps referring to? :dunno:

Someone smack Thorne. You think someone would correct him. He was even calling Koivu Koivo earlier. :shakehead

Hahahaha....so Im not the only one who has heard him say that at least 3 times :lol

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
He did not school them. The trio did not play the man. They played the puck and got fooled. They were lazy. I would personnally bench Gagné and Richards for it. They freaking teach the man-to-man at atom level, for crying out loud.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I love this. My Ruutu black jersey (just got it) will get some show time tommorow, after I take off my Heatley Canada jersey of course. :)

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
deandebean said:
He did not school them. The trio did not play the man. They played the puck and got fooled. They were lazy. I would personnally bench Gagné and Richards for it. They freaking teach the man-to-man at atom level, for crying out loud.

What would you consider schooling them then? They went for the puck, Ruutu made them completely whiff and be way out of position...what more do you want him to do, just bowl over everyone?

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Chaos said:
What would you consider schooling them then? They went for the puck, Ruutu made them completely whiff and be way out of position...what more do you want him to do, just bowl over everyone?
Well thats what Forsberg would have done=).

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
move over kovy, that was the goal of the tournament. beating richards, gagne, niedermayer, and brodeur in a matter of seconds is unthinkable.

with ruutu and guys like lehtonen coming up, finland is well on their way to becoming a hockey superpower.

ruutu :bow:

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Chaos said:

Buddy, if you play the body to the tee, and make the effort, NOBODY except Mario in his prime, could deek you. They were simply lazy. You are thought to defend the one on one situation at 9 years old here.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I knew there would be a thread like this, and had already decided I would make a comment. In a high stakes game like this against that competition, that was just an amazing goal! A real jaw dropper :bow:

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
deandebean said:
Buddy, if you play the body to the tee, and make the effort, NOBODY except Mario in his prime, could deek you. They were simply lazy. You are thought to defend the one on one situation at 9 years old here.

people make mistakes, that is how 99% of goals are scored. sorry mr. perfect, it was a great goal. and yes, he did school them. great players make others make mistakes, and that's what he did.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
deandebean said:
guys like kovalev or kovalchuk deke 2 or 3 guys per shift..

gagne, richards, niedermayer are not bad defensive players you know. ruutu just threw them a curveball by jumping to the side when gagne was trying to cut him off at the boards.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Listen, Ruutu has wonderful skills, I do not contest that. But his goal was just some bad positional and defensive coverage one on one. It's a simple as that. I've seen Stephane Richer pull out the same stuff time and time again, but when Stephane met a wall (i.e. a solid defender), he couldn't do squat. Same for Ruutu. You take out the body, and, like it or not, skills or not, you're toast. You can do so much with skills when you've got a solid dman in front of you, who plays you to the tee. I tell ya, the exception was Mario in his prime.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I'm thrilled Canada won. Too bad they have to commemmorate the win with the "ugly trophy", but I guess it's better than nothing. Congrats Team Canada on your new World Cup Vase....

On the other hand, T-Ruu's goal was pure sweetness. What a beauty.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Dark Metamorphosis said:
guys like kovalev or kovalchuk deke 2 or 3 guys per shift..

gagne, richards, niedermayer are not bad defensive players you know. ruutu just threw them a curveball by jumping to the side when gagne was trying to cut him off at the boards.

If Kovalchuk deeked everybody and his wife, he would have had 100 goals. He can't do it on a regular basis because d-guys can play solid positionnal defence. Same with Kovalev. He did it once against the US. He couldn't do squat against Canada, who played him to the tee.

Augustus

Dec 2, 2003
Roma in my soul.
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
On the other hand, T-Ruu's goal was pure sweetness. What a beauty.

It was worth the price of admission. Brilliant play (helped by some sloppy defense), the kind we rarely see any more.

Bobby Orr would have been proud to have done it.

Great goal! :handclap: :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad