Ruutu's goal one of the most AMAZING goals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
deandebean said:
Buddy, if you play the body to the tee, and make the effort, NOBODY except Mario in his prime, could deek you. They were simply lazy. You are thought to defend the one on one situation at 9 years old here.

Except Gagne went to play to body, and whiffed. Neidemeyer was backing up Gagne to pick up the puck that he assumed would be there when Gagne took his man, and when Gagne whiffed, he was out of position. This wasn't lazyness, it was a whiffed on check, which happens.

Augustus

Dec 2, 2003
Roma in my soul.
Visit site
paxtang said:
Except Gagne went to play to body, and whiffed. Neidemeyer was backing up Gagne to pick up the puck that he assumed would be there when Gagne took his man, and when Gagne whiffed, he was out of position. This wasn't lazyness, it was a whiffed on check, which happens.

Gagne was useless all game and pretty much all tournament. He and Heatley were major disappointments on an otherwise consistent roster.

Wally112pac

Dec 26, 2003
Canada
Visit site
That was the best goal of the tourney.

Who did Kovalev make look stupid? Defensive Stalwart TONY AMONTE! :lol

Atleast Ruutu put the Norris winners jock in the stands then beat the Vezina winner. Not the mention the other 2.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
exiled in Florida said:
Gagne was useless all game and pretty much all tournament. He and Heatley were major disappointments on an otherwise consistent roster.

I completely agree. Simon has lost his touch, I find. As for Heatley, it's excusable; the guy's got an ugly week coming.

Simon needs to find his game. Tonight, he tried to hit every white shirt around. He was not positionally sound because of that. In french we say that he looked a "poule pas de tête" (translatable?) That's not his game. He's got sweet hands and great speed. He reminds me a bit of Yvan Cournoyer. Just a bit. You never saw Yvan trying to run over a train. Because Yvan knew that his game was about speed and movement.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
deandebean said:
I completely agree. Simon has lost his touch, I find. As for Heatley, it's excusable; the guy's got an ugly week coming.

Simon needs to find his game. Tonight, he tried to hit every white shirt around. He was not positionally sound because of that. In french we say that he looked a "poule pas de tête" (translatable?) That's not his game. He's got sweet hands and great speed. He reminds me a bit of Yvan Cournoyer. Just a bit. You never saw Yvan trying to run over a train. Because Yvan knew that his game was about speed and movement.

Gagne was there to play defense so St. Louis and Richards coudl press more. He played very well, and I am quite happy with his performance. The fact that he was physical was a plus for me. The whiff was the only poor play I really saw from him all tournament.

Augustus

Dec 2, 2003
Roma in my soul.
Visit site
deandebean said:

Your analyses of Gagne's failing were right on. I've been surprised at his lack of development the past year.

He is still young enough for a brilliant career but needs to re-think his game approach.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
exiled in Florida said:
Your analyses of Gagne's failing were right on. I've been surprised at his lack of development the past year.

He is still young enough for a brilliant career but needs to re-think his game approach.

I've seen the kid play when he was a bantam. He was swift and fast. Same with Philly in the early parts of his career. I'm not seeing the same kid today, that's all.

Arne

Aug 30, 2004
Kotka, Finland
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Who is this Tumino Ruutu Thorne keeps referring to? :dunno:

Someone smack Thorne. You think someone would correct him. He was even calling Koivu Koivo earlier. :shakehead
What the hell I've been talking about? huh... at first I tought that you were talking about me. Hahaha

SkateLikeTheWind

Jun 16, 2004
Denver, CO
deandebean said:
Buddy, if you play the body to the tee, and make the effort, NOBODY except Mario in his prime, could deek you. They were simply lazy. You are thought to defend the one on one situation at 9 years old here.

So you think that goal wasnt pretty? I dont know why so many people are making excuses as to how that goal shouldnt have happened. You say lazy? How so when Gagne went flying into the boards because he tried to take Ruutu's head off. Sure Richards defense was a little weak, and Niedermeyer went for the pokecheck and missed. He made three players look like orange pilons, and then Ruutu exposed Marty's glove hand. Im sure it would have been another story for you if Mario and anyone else on Canada scored that goal.

Also kids starting learning how to do moves at beat defenders at a young age as well. So you the basis of your argument holds no truth.

BTW...Sweet goal Ruutu!!! :bow:

High flyin' Habs*

It looked like Ruutu was flying when he passed all the players to score that beautiful goal. IMO this goal is better than Kovalev's.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RW8 said:
Yea.. he just schooled Richards, Gagne and Niedermayer

And Brodeur.

That may have been the illest goal I've ever seen.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Chiquita Finland are planning to do an all-yellow Ruutu hockey jersey with a big banana as logo :D For those of you who don't know... Tuomo is crazy about Chiquita's bananas and eats several pounds of them every week, Chiquita is also an official sponsor of Tuomo's :D

Edit: thought I should fit a dancing banana in here somewhere :banana:

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
It was a good goal, but like it was said before...what the hell were Richards and Gagne doing? Richards I can understand missed that, he was going off it looked like and just attempted a pokecheck. Gagne, on the other hand, completely missed his man and forced Niedermayer to pinch up and try to stop him. The puck barely got by Brodeur.

Tuomo played it great, but Gagne should've been benched the last few games. Who the hell decided to add him to the team :(

mksee

May 31, 2002
Woburn
video of the goal?

Does anyone know of a link to download highlights of the game? I walked away for 5 minutes and missed the Ruutu goal.

I need to see this goal

mksee

NWT Habs Fan

Apr 25, 2003
Edmonton, AB
Visit site
Ruutu's goal was great, and I always appreciate great individual efforts and highlight reel goals...and that was both!!

I also thought he was one of, if not the best, Finnish player out there. He is going to be a good one!!

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
It sure was an average goal. It reminded me of a certain soccer player, who often made the most of his opponents' sloppy defending:

link

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The main thing is not the goal, nor the work to do it, but that he had the guts to try something like that... Tuomo Ruutu and Lauri Tukonen give me hope for a new-style Finland...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad