Speculation: Rutherford: “I just can’t answer that question right now” on Malkin's future in PIttsburgh

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Can you elaborate on that story? I don't have any memory of it. I know Crosby was out for like, over a calendar year, but were Orpik and Jordan Staal telling the press or Byslma that they wanted Crosby stripped of the C? Like permanently, or just until he got back? Did they explicitly want Geno to wear it? Or were they dumb enough to imply it should be up for grabs like as if either of them would have a snowball's chance in the ninth ring of hell of getting it?

They were in a playoff battle up 3 to 1 against the Bolts, Crosby came out and said he wasn't coming back, and and some on the team wanted to have a C represented moving forward. It wasn't about stripping him of the C, and frankly, I didn't get all the uproar over it considering when Mario was out long term guys Like Francis wore the C in his absence. Nothing wrong with appointing one of the assistant captains the captain while he (Crosby) was absent.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
They called a players meeting. Pretty much all of them, save Malkin and (I think) Aaron Asham ( :laugh: ) wanted a temporary captain until Sid returned at some as of then unknown point in the future. Guys said their pieces, then Malkin said 'guys, this is bull****; Sid is the captain' and left the room.

Malkin was out injured as well.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Wow thats garbage

Because Monahan is nothing special and neither is Hanifin.

Pens laugh

LMFAO.

If anything, this value is bs for the flames. Malkin is 33 f***ing years old and on the decline, and gudbransson just sucks ass. In return, we have to give up a 24 year old ppg centre on a hometown discount for 4 more years and a dman that is better than any of your lhd? LOL

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Because Monahan is nothing special and neither is Hanifin.

Pens laugh

We just going to ignore the fact that Monahan was better than Malkin this year, is almost an entire decade younger, and actually knew what the defensive zone looked like?

Hanifin is better than every member of your overpaid Dcore sans Letang

Reactions: Chr1s97

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I am tempted to just nuke on JR like most other Pens fans with this. Malkin is my favorite player, but the only part of this that absolutely disgusts me is that he would be public about it like this. It is a major slap in the face of Geno who has never been anything but class for this team and has contributed quite a little bit to our successes. Moreover, if there was something to the trade murmurs, it would seem much more sensible not having this out in public.
What you absolutely do not want is Geno saying "Screw this ungrateful bastard. I have already won everything there is to win here. I am going back to Russia."

But clearly it is not true that there are no deals that could end up wins for the Pens. You cannot win such a trade, OK, but you can get better overall by getting excellent pieces while also opening cap room to pick up another great player.
A situation where we got good young talent and futures back and picked up Duchene in free agency for instance. That could objectively make us better going forward and extend the window at the same time, but it'd require getting it right in free agency also.

I'd probably still hate even the most ideal execution of such scenarios though. But that'd be sentiment more than logic.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Rutherford isn’t a good GM I don’t care about the cups lol ... it’s because if Malkin

To be fair, Rutherford is a slightly above average GM IMO. He's a pure riverboat gambler. I don't think he very much has ever had a forward thinking plan or blueprint, he just takes big risks based on his gut when he has mostly established teams and either they pay off or they set the franchise back considerably. He will either get you a cup or leave your team in ashes. Probably the biggest all or nothing GM in the league today

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think Malkin would welcome an opportunity to try being the #1C and the star of a team. He’s got 2-3 more years of high quality play and a change of scenery might be good motivation for him

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
That is not necessarily true. If Malkin continues to be injured and then declines quickly, Pittsburgh sheds his contact and gets some solid pieces. That would be a win.
Keep in mind that even though he was injured a lot this year, he still was a PPG player

Reactions: domaug

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
You people on this thread make it sound like Malkin is Joe Thorton or Brandon Saad type level player currently. Yall are crazy. The dude had an off year where he is still a point per game player and the year before he had 98 points in 75 games. Yall need to chill. like for real.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
He would be really, really great for the Wild. Not only just because of how good he is (duh), but because he would also help mentor a young Kaprizov after next season.

I highly doubt Fenton would be able to get a good enough package together to do it (maybe when we had Granlund? Maybe?) But not anymore. Bummer.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Keep in mind that even though he was injured a lot this year, he still was a PPG player
Oh I agree. He’s an excellent player. He said there’s no way they ever win that trade. I think they probably lose it but there are absolutely routes they win it. He’s been hurt a lot.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
All I can say is that as a Pens fan, I don't like a single thing I've heard about the organization's attitude toward Malkin this summer. Selling low on the franchise's third-best player ever to make a point about loyalty to a coach that's been here for less than 4 years is a supreme a-hole move that would scar the oranization for years to come.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I think Malkin would welcome an opportunity to try being the #1C and the star of a team. He’s got 2-3 more years of high quality play and a change of scenery might be good motivation for him
He doesn’t need motivation. He needs consistent line mates who compliment him not regular season floater Phil glued to his wing all season.

Reactions: ChuckW

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Seeing how Toronto is gunning for a cup now, would they be interested in him? Wonder what it would take from their end.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Was thinking about getting rid of Nylander.
Not sure we need Malkin playing 3/4C. If we are dealing Nylander...defense is the key. When we already have Matthews/Tavares/Kadri at C, Malkin seems like overkill.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Not sure we need Malkin playing 3/4C. If we are dealing Nylander...defense is the key. When we already have Matthews/Tavares/Kadri at C, Malkin seems like overkill.

Malkin would not be your 3/4 center lol....

When you have a player that good, you shuffle some of your players to the wing.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Malkin would not be your 3/4 center lol....

When you have a player that good, you shuffle some of your players to the wing.
Matthews and Tavares stay at C...that's a given. Kadri has played wing before. So the question is, you think the Leafs are goung to pay 11 million for a 3C (JT/Matthews) just so Malkin can play 1/2? Again....overkill, and our D still sucks.

Leafs make no sense in a Malkin deal. There will be plenty of suitors though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad