Speculation: Rutherford: “I just can’t answer that question right now” on Malkin's future in PIttsburgh

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I mean it won't ever happen but if he does get moved this offseason, I would bet its to Florida..

They didn't sign Q to just make the playoffs. IMO it is about finding out if Hockey is viable in Florida or not and the only way to find out is by fielding a contending team.

It will be tough to fit Bob/Panarin/Malkin under the cap but they have Barkov/Huberdeau combined for less than 12M for the next 3+ years so if any team can make it happen, it just might be them. Malkins expiring contract also perfectly aligns with Barkov needing a huge raise 3 years from now...

They also have one of the deepest prospect pools and a full set of picks to work with in order to offload a few contracts if necessary.

Trochek (gives PIT that good #2 C they probably want as a base for any return) + Hoffmann (who could be flipped to a third team for more youth) makes it a capneutral move already.

Add a couple of #12, Denisenko, Noel, Tippett, Gildon,Borgstrom, Heponiemi...

Yeah...

If the unlikely event occurs that Malkin gets traded by Pittsburgh, this is where he would end up IMO.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I believe the idea was that when Crosby was injured with his concussion, some players led by Orpik and Staal (I believe Kennedy was in this group too) wanted to take away Crosby's captaincy when he was out. I don't know if they planned on Orpik taking it or giving it to Malkin. Malkin's response was basically "cut this **** out, Crosby is the captain" and that ended it. Even it getting that far is ridiculous, you don't strip the captaincy from your captain and face of the franchise because they missed half a season. The team was still really good with Crosby injured, so there was absolutely no justification for taking away the captaincy from an injured Crosby.
Oh god, an Orpik Captained Pens team. He loved blaming everyone but himself and constantly tried to destroy players and take out his own goalie.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I mean it won't ever happen but if he does get moved this offseason, I would bet its to Florida..

They didn't sign Q to just make the playoffs. IMO it is about finding out if Hockey is viable in Florida or not and the only way to find out is by fielding a contending team.

It will be tough to fit Bob/Panarin/Malkin under the cap but they have Barkov/Huberdeau combined for less than 12M for the next 3+ years so if any team can make it happen, it just might be them. Malkins expiring contract also perfectly aligns with Barkov needing a huge raise 3 years from now...

They also have one of the deepest prospect pools and a full set of picks to work with in order to offload a few contracts if necessary.

Trochek (gives PIT that good #2 C they probably want as a base for any return) + Hoffmann (who could be flipped to a third team for more youth) makes it a capneutral move already.

Add a couple of #12, Denisenko, Noel, Tippett, Gildon,Borgstrom, Heponiemi...

Yeah...

If the unlikely event occurs that Malkin gets traded by Pittsburgh, this is where he would end up IMO.

I'd say they only consider this if Panarin goes to NYR/LA

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh god, an Orpik Captained Pens team. He loved blaming everyone but himself and constantly tried to destroy players and take out his own goalie.

Yeah . . . JR and Sullivan would've loved him. Peas in a pod.

Reactions: domaug

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
They called a players meeting. Pretty much all of them, save Malkin and (I think) Aaron Asham ( :laugh: ) wanted a temporary captain until Sid returned at some as of then unknown point in the future. Guys said their pieces, then Malkin said 'guys, this is bull****; Sid is the captain' and left the room.

I love Ash!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I have to think that comment may refer more to him leaving for Russia. With Malkin holding a lot of power in any deal, he may just opt to leave if JR tries to trade him.

He has 3 cups already, a wife, and now a son.. it’s certainly possible he just packs it up and goes home rather than relocating to another state in the U.S.

This will be interesting to see.

I would have traded him some time ago but I would have been wrong given the cups. They some what got “lucky” with Murray and that good goalie coach that split but it was looking like they needed to do it then. Now it makes no sense. Malkin could score 30 pts next year in the playoffs and it would business as usual. He prob wanted a summer off for once haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
If they got him in Chicago to play with Kane it would be lights out.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Malkin at the draft to Habs for Romanov , Byron and a 1st 2019...I can dream :sarcasm:.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
The results from the trade are not going to be successful...

Mainly because Malkin probably doesn’t want a trade and he’s in control about where he’d be going...

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I would have traded him some time ago but I would have been wrong given the cups. They some what got “lucky” with Murray and that good goalie coach that split but it was looking like they needed to do it then. Now it makes no sense. Malkin could score 30 pts next year in the playoffs and it would business as usual. He prob wanted a summer off for once haha.

they didn't get lucky, they got back on track after years of ridiculousness with the Shero/Bylsma/MAF stupidness...

JR needs to go away. The senile old man thinks this D corp is the best group they had since he's been here... I'm sure this has been mentioned in here...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
If they got him in Chicago to play with Kane it would be lights out.

At this point, no. Malkin is not responsible enough defensively to play with an offense-first skilled player like Kane at this point. He was a disaster with Kessel this year. Kane is a far better hockey player than Kessel, but still.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
honestly the only way i see us moving Malkin is for an elite young talent or a top 3 draft pick. Anything less isn’t worth it.

If the Pens ever got to the point where they have to trade Malkin, it wouldn't be about what is or isn't worth doing. The only way they get to that point is if he wants out for whatever specific reason. If they get there, Pittsburgh isn't dictating anything.

Reactions: KIRK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad