Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My guess is they will try quite hard to sign Monahan. I expect they'd like Tofolli as well, but they have plenty of wingers really, too many almost. Monahan fills that need at center and if they sign him for five years it addresses a substantial need.

Not sure who they see as the youth movement for the center position in the future. I'm fairly certain they were hoping Lucious would grow into it and he may, if he ever overcomes his injury woes (hoping the surgery does it). Otherwise for middle six guys their looking like they're going to try and convert some wingers - Lambert, McGroarty, Perfetti? Zhilkin probably doesn't have that ceiling.

They don't have the cap space for both. It's one or the other imo and they already have a lot of cash tied up in wingers that it makes little sense to keep Tyler if they plan to reup Ehlers.

Reactions: Blue Shakehead

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Whatever their method is, it certainly isn't producing us roster players. And before anyone says it, no, we weren't some top team that hasn't had roster spots for young guns up until this season. Not an excuse.

If Rut was to sign here in 2025, he would get arb rights after his third season of 10+ NHL games. This is regardless of whether he gets to burn a year off his ELC in 2024-25 or not.

There are other possibilities and scenarios, but if he hasn't been signed come October 2025, I don't think we should be concerned about his arb rights at that point.
We don’t need to rush our prospects into roster positions as we are a very competitive veteran team. Most of our prospects have developed very well this season either on the Moose, in the CHL, the NCAA and in Europe. There will be opportunities down the like there was for the top prospects before them. We are just now in a position where we can let them develop in lower leagues.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not even close? How do you figure?

Lambert is a few months older, was only drafted 14 picks behind Mcgroarty.

Lambert has much more pro experience and has been playing against men all year and has been a Moose MVP.

2 years NCAA vs 1 year AHL. Plus I think Rutger is a more well rounded player. Lambert made great progress this year but has more holes in his game, more development required. On pure physical talent Lambert is probably ahead, certainly in skating. But great skating by itself doesn't necessarily suggest NHL readiness. And 14 picks later in the 1st rd of the same draft is huge (and it was 16).

Don't put too much weight on it but compare their WJC records. Rutger captained the gold medal winning team in his last year of eligibility. Lambert contributed nothing to a team that finished out of the medals. Small sample tournament and there were internal things going on with the Finnish team, but it is what it is.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
And how many games have any of us seen mcgro play haha? Meanwhile lambert is actually playing centre and succeeding in the A... reminds me of anointing perfetti our 2c before he had played any games at C

Wjc means exactly nothing to nhl careers... we all know that

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
They don't have the cap space for both. It's one or the other imo and they already have a lot of cash tied up in wingers that it makes little sense to keep Tyler if they plan to reup Ehlers.
Agreed. I implied but didn't finish my statement. They'd love to keep Toffoli but won't have the room for him due to a log jam of high end wingers.

I'm not even sure they'll end up keeping Ehlers but that's a different discussion altogether.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
24-25

81-55-13
Lambert Monohan Perfetti
Nino Lowry Apples
Barron Names Iaffolo

With Ehlers moved for D help. I could easily envision. And Rutger joining the year after possibly if Connors isn’t re signed

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We don’t need to rush our prospects into roster positions as we are a very competitive veteran team. Most of our prospects have developed very well this season either on the Moose, in the CHL, the NCAA and in Europe. There will be opportunities down the like there was for the top prospects before them. We are just now in a position where we can let them develop in lower leagues.
We're one year removed from being a middling team with crippling leadership issues. A couple removed from literally having less than half a functional D corps. Our depth at forward has ranged from excellent (now) to tragic (the Logan Shaw era).

Let's not forget the bad things so fast. We haven't seen a Jets team this good since 2018, and nothing has been even close either.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
2 years NCAA vs 1 year AHL. Plus I think Rutger is a more well rounded player. Lambert made great progress this year but has more holes in his game, more development required. On pure physical talent Lambert is probably ahead, certainly in skating. But great skating by itself doesn't necessarily suggest NHL readiness. And 14 picks later in the 1st rd of the same draft is huge (and it was 16).

Don't put too much weight on it but compare their WJC records. Rutger captained the gold medal winning team in his last year of eligibility. Lambert contributed nothing to a team that finished out of the medals. Small sample tournament and there were internal things going on with the Finnish team, but it is what it is.
How many games of each have you watched to come to this over the last 2-3 years

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Just jumping off this post because I had my first viewing of Lambert on Saturday at the Moose game..... Man can that guy skate and handle the puck. Didn't see much playmaking, but I wasn't watching for it really.

Continue on with Rutger......

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We're one year removed from being a middling team with crippling leadership issues. A couple removed from literally having less than half a functional D corps. Our depth at forward has ranged from excellent (now) to tragic (the Logan Shaw era).

Let's not forget the bad things so fast. We haven't seen a Jets team this good since 2018, and nothing has been even close either.
And Chevy righted the ship, made the required trades, signed his own UFAs and we are looking to secure home us in round 1 of the playoffs. You don't do that by rushing in prospects that belong in lower leagues.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
And Chevy righted the ship, made the required trades, signed his own UFAs and we are looking to secure home us in round 1 of the playoffs. You don't do that by rushing in prospects that belong in lower leagues.
"Righted the ship" this team has achieved sweet f*** all since 2018. Maybe it would be best to pump the brakes and see whether the team continues to perform in the upcoming years too before giving Chevy credit for anything.

Reactions: hn777

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

McGroarty wouldn't have produced at the world Juniors with Lambert's usage either. McGroarty isn't NHL ready specifically because of his skating.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
McGroarty wouldn't have produced at the world Juniors with Lambert's usage either. McGroarty isn't NHL ready specifically because of his skating.

No he wouldn't. I acknowledged that there were problems with that team.

I don't think his skating is that bad. It is his weakness but there are plenty of NHL'ers who are worse. Tyler Toffoli would be one. And I would bet on it being better by TC.

Reactions: Atoyot

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The Jets have had Schiefele, Ehlers, Trouba, Copp and Laine bypass the AHL entirely. Helle spent a half a season there. Connor played 56 games.

The org has no problem integrating young talent when they're ready and there's a spot for them on the team

When you look at these guys vs the Nikus, Petans and Chisholms of the world you can see the chasm of talent and pedigree between young players who are destined for meaningful and impactful NHL careers and those who are just interchangeable parts

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just jumping off this post because I had my first viewing of Lambert on Saturday at the Moose game..... Man can that guy skate and handle the puck. Didn't see much playmaking, but I wasn't watching for it really.

Continue on with Rutger......

Yeah, I'm pretty excited about Lambert's potential too. A steal where we got him.

We could be looking at graduating multiple rookies for the 25-26 season. TNSE hasn't liked doing that in the past. We have 4 potential UFA F the preceding season. Doesn't mean none of them will be extended before then but we have McGroarty, Lambert, Chibrikov, Lucius (if healthy) and possibly Barlow who will all have 2-3-4 years post draft development behind them.

How many games of each have you watched to come to this over the last 2-3 years

Not many. Why do you ask?

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016

That, and I think they expect Perfetti to be able to consistently produce in the top 6. I have a feeling Monahan is priority, but it’s far from a given

Reactions: surixon

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
College boy Rutger McGrubber scared to leave school!
Most college kids, first rounders don’t want to spend time in the A. Life at Michigan is pretty nice for a 20 year old. Amazing facilities due to the football program.

But that also needs to be balanced off with improving and challenging yourself. His production is excellent at college. I do think he should look for the challenge next year. Even if that’s in the A. But to each their own.

Reactions: sipowicz

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Most college kids, first rounders don’t want to spend time in the A. Life at Michigan is pretty nice for a 20 year old. Amazing facilities due to the football program.

But that also needs to be balanced off with improving and challenging yourself. His production is excellent at college. I do think he should look for the challenge next year. Even if that’s in the A. But to each their own.
Except you don’t want to leave college at 26 like Ticker Pooman

• Haha
Reactions: ps241

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about Lambert's potential too. A steal where we got him.

We could be looking at graduating multiple rookies for the 25-26 season. TNSE hasn't liked doing that in the past. We have 4 potential UFA F the preceding season. Doesn't mean none of them will be extended before then but we have McGroarty, Lambert, Chibrikov, Lucius (if healthy) and possibly Barlow who will all have 2-3-4 years post draft development behind them.

Not many. Why do you ask
I had a convo over a few beers with Jamie Kompon in the spring of 2017. I asked him about the youth movement that year and he said that thr directive came from chevy to play the kids

That was the year that they handed the net to Helle as a rookie. Laine was also a rookie and JoMo and Ehlers were in their second season

The next year they made their run

It wouldn't surprise me to see the org take a half step back to integrate some youth into the line up over the next two seasons to prepare for a run with Helle and Schief at the end of their primes

I could see Ville full time and Lambert seeing games next season and Salomonsson and Barlow as full time rookies out of camp the next year

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad