Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Reality is, in a years time McGroarty's gonna be a position where he can think "wow if I play one more year of college I can pick where I start my NHL career". Would have to imagine it's going to be a tempting scenario regardless of what his current plans are
A wild thought. Say Chicago (or whoever) wins the draft lottery again. Would they trade that pick for McGroraty’s rights ? Is Cellebrini as good as McGroraty ?

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Wheeler, 3 years of NCAA and then straight to a $2.75 million a year contract with the Bruins. What is McBoaty thinking.
Wheeler played 4 years of us hockey. 1 yr in ushl and 3 in ncaa. Please, educate yourself.

A wild thought. Say Chicago (or whoever) wins the draft lottery again. Would they trade that pick for McGroraty’s rights ? Is Cellebrini as good as McGroraty ?
Holy shit. Celebrini is roads ahead of Rutger. The hype train has no breaks.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Wheeler, 3 years of NCAA and then straight to a $2.75 million a year contract with the Bruins. What is McBoaty thinking.
You mean a player can skip the “low paying” ELC years by staying in college for 4 years and signing with the highest bidder ?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Celebrini is better than McGroarty right now, let alone when Celebrini reaches McGroarty's age.

You mean a player can skip the “low paying” ELC years by staying in college for 4 years and signing with the highest bidder ?

No they still have to sign an ELC, it would just be shorter.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not sure if this has been posted, but the final few lines from Murat's column today:

Recent Jets draft picks to sign after their third college season include defensemen Dylan Samberg and Tucker Poolman. Expect this situation to follow that same trajectory; McGroarty is all-in on his development and his ultimate goal is a roster spot on the Jets.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think the Jets philosophy after going through it with their early picks is to allow a maturation year after Junior in the AHL or one more year of college hockey. They probably told him he is 100 percent headed to the AHL next season or he could stay at Michigan and the choice was his so he stayed. He very likely has a real good shot at making the roster after next year. The potential for a bit of a roster revamp after the 2024/25 season is high with 4 forwards going UFA so it makes sense for the team and him to develop another season

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If Winnipeg really wants him in 2025 after his next year of college, they have the option to give him a guaranteed contract. Maybe his play will improve even more to the point that Cheveldayoff knows what he has to do. I find it peculiar that Rutger McGroarty a THROUGH THE ROOF character player/leader potential could possibly not sign here. You would think the low character players would be that way.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

No.
I don't think it is even very close.

It seems that no one trades that 1st OA anyway, even if offered a huge return.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

No. They still need to sign an ELC. They have to wait until mid August after their 4th year. So no signing bonus for that year. No playing 1 game to shed a year of their ELC. Not sure, but I think it is a 2 year ELC at that point. Otherwise all of the same restrictions as any other ELC.

Not so much highest bidder, but they get to choose their landing spot.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
There is the remote possibility that the Jets prefer this option rather than the Moose... doesn't it basically buy them an extra year of team control with essentially the same development trajectory

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is the remote possibility that the Jets prefer this option rather than the Moose... doesn't it basically buy them an extra year of team control with essentially the same development trajectory

I don't think so. The team gets 7 years OR till the player is 27 YO.
If he signed this year Jets would get 7 years. Signing next year means he reaches 27 in 6 years, so they get 1 less year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think that Jets supporting this choice rather than going all-in to get him signed speaks to plans for the off-season/next season.

For instance, I had thought they might have used Iafallo as an add in a package for a RHD. Sweeten the package a bit and recover cap to pay the new Dman. That would have opened a roster spot for McGroarty. So would both Monahan and Toffoli walking. Do they plan on signing 1 or both?

McGroarty is probably the most NHL ready F prospect we have. So it doesn't look like they expect any rookie F next year. It also doesn't look like they expect to use any existing F in trade. Everyone on the current roster returning gives us 13 F, not counting Monahan and Toffoli.

If they aren't trading any roster players it leaves me wondering what is the plan for the D corps? 3 of our current 8 are pending UFAs. There hasn't been any sign of any of them being extended. Going into the PO is hardly the time to be dealing with that. Add Heinola and Capobianco to get to 7? Pionk, Schmidt and Heinola for the right side? That's ugly!

When does arb rights kick in

I'm not sure of the precise rule. It usually coincides with the end of the ELC (or maybe 1 year after?) but it is not tied specifically to that. The case of the 2 year ELC might be one instance where they diverge.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think that Jets supporting this choice rather than going all-in to get him signed speaks to plans for the off-season/next season.

For instance, I had thought they might have used Iafallo as an add in a package for a RHD. Sweeten the package a bit and recover cap to pay the new Dman. That would have opened a roster spot for McGroarty. So would both Monahan and Toffoli walking. Do they plan on signing 1 or both?

McGroarty is probably the most NHL ready F prospect we have. So it doesn't look like they expect any rookie F next year. It also doesn't look like they expect to use any existing F in trade. Everyone on the current roster returning gives us 13 F, not counting Monahan and Toffoli.

If they aren't trading any roster players it leaves me wondering what is the plan for the D corps? 3 of our current 8 are pending UFAs. There hasn't been any sign of any of them being extended. Going into the PO is hardly the time to be dealing with that. Add Heinola and Capobianco to get to 7? Pionk, Schmidt and Heinola for the right side? That's ugly!

I'm not sure of the precise rule. It usually coincides with the end of the ELC (or maybe 1 year after?) but it is not tied specifically to that. The case of the 2 year ELC might be one instance where they diverge.
This is getting a bit nuts... McGro is our MOST NHL ready prospect?!! Like holy Shiny New Toy syndrome...

Reactions: Cypruss

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is getting a bit nuts... McGro is our MOST NHL ready prospect?!! Like holy Shiny New Toy syndrome...
So who do you think is more ready? Lambert? Not even close, IMO.
And he is not the shiny new toy. We are approaching the 3rd draft since he was picked. He is the 2nd highest drafted player we have had since Laine in 2016, behind only Perfetti. If he is not the most NHL ready, there is something wrong.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the Jets philosophy after going through it with their early picks is to allow a maturation year after Junior in the AHL or one more year of college hockey. They probably told him he is 100 percent headed to the AHL next season or he could stay at Michigan and the choice was his so he stayed. He very likely has a real good shot at making the roster after next year. The potential for a bit of a roster revamp after the 2024/25 season is high with 4 forwards going UFA so it makes sense for the team and him to develop another season
This makes sense. The Jets have been very methodical in their prospect development over the last several years and won’t rush anyone. It also looks to be a very veteran forward group again next year with the current contract status of depth forwards. Also makes you wonder if the world like to bring back one of Monahan or Tofolli.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This makes sense. The Jets have been very methodical in their prospect development over the last several years and won’t rush anyone. It also looks to be a very veteran forward group again next year with the current contract status of depth forwards. Also makes you wonder if the world like to bring back one of Monahan or Tofolli.

My guess is they make a hard push for Monohan. Perfetti takes Toffoli's spot.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
My guess is they will try quite hard to sign Monahan. I expect they'd like Tofolli as well, but they have plenty of wingers really, too many almost. Monahan fills that need at center and if they sign him for five years it addresses a substantial need.

Not sure who they see as the youth movement for the center position in the future. I'm fairly certain they were hoping Lucious would grow into it and he may, if he ever overcomes his injury woes (hoping the surgery does it). Otherwise for middle six guys their looking like they're going to try and convert some wingers - Lambert, McGroarty, Perfetti? Zhilkin probably doesn't have that ceiling.

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed with the above. Monahan seems a very likely player the Jets will push hard on re-signing. He has been a great fit as the number two center.

Reactions: Buffdog

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Whatever their method is, it certainly isn't producing us roster players. And before anyone says it, no, we weren't some top team that hasn't had roster spots for young guns up until this season. Not an excuse.

When does arb rights kick in
If Rut was to sign here in 2025, he would get arb rights after his third season of 10+ NHL games. This is regardless of whether he gets to burn a year off his ELC in 2024-25 or not.

There are other possibilities and scenarios, but if he hasn't been signed come October 2025, I don't think we should be concerned about his arb rights at that point.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
So who do you think is more ready? Lambert? Not even close, IMO.
And he is not the shiny new toy. We are approaching the 3rd draft since he was picked. He is the 2nd highest drafted player we have had since Laine in 2016, behind only Perfetti. If he is not the most NHL ready, there is something wrong.
Not even close? How do you figure?

Lambert is a few months older, was only drafted 14 picks behind Mcgroarty.

Lambert has much more pro experience and has been playing against men all year and has been a Moose MVP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad